SDS ranks the SEC coaches????

So all national championships are mythical? So the NCAA doesn't recognize UT's 1998 national championship? Or Nebraska's back to back titles? Or the 2001 Miami championship? So what championships ARE recognized?

My God. So only conference championships are real. Well I ask the question again: why are coaches main goals to win national championships? Please give a rational answer to this question.

Your position about Bamas mythical championships may be valid but not every title is mythical
The Definitive List Of Actual, No-Bull**** College Football National Champions; Or, Why Alabama Is A Liar

The NCAA is not the governing body for the national championship in Major College Football (FBS) as compared to the other college sports like basketball. That's why it is officially called a BCS Title or something else.

In the past the NCAA has recognized the title given by a certain selecting official, but the NCAA has no control over the selecting official, often times it is nothing more than a popularity contest. That's why it is referred to has a myth.

As far as UT's Title in 1998, it's recognized as a National Championship by just about everyone in the media and the NCAA, but it's a BCS Title, just like the last 15 including the title FSU won last season, it's NOT a NCAA National Championship that is awarded in other sports like baseball and basketball, it's a BCS Title. UT claims six mythical national titles in its history.

IMO, until there is playoff that includes the Champion of all five major conferences, and at least three at large bids to include the next best three teams there will always be a mythical national champion.

If there had been a playoff like this in place last season, FSU may not have won the title, a team like UCF could have won it all last season, anything is possible with a fairer system in place. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 person
I can feel their pain, I would not be happy if UT in that scenario instead of LSU. The old system had major flaws, that's why it is being changed, and why I refer to it as a mythical national championship. Until there is at least an 8 team playoff it's not a fair system.

That's what every fan says when their team has very few NCs. It's based on envy.

Every coach will tell you that competing for and winning a Championship is a team goal. Coaches usually start talking about winning their conference championship and if they win that they start talking about a shot at a National Championship. In some rare situations a team will win the MNC, and not a Conference championship.

That's what every fan says when their team has very few NCs. It's based on envy.

Envy, really? I'm not envious? UT has more than its share of MNC's, six to be exact which is more than most.

As a college football fan, I would just like to see a more inclusive system than the old BCS or the four team playoff. An eight team playoff to include the five major conferences champs and three at large FBS teams is a good place to start.

1. Spurrier is #1, he has done more with less than any coach in the SEC. He won four straight SEC Titles at UF, six total and a pre BCS mythical NC.

2. Saban best recruiter in the history of college football, he has recruited more elite talent in the last 5 years to Bama than most teams have ever had in the history of their program. But, with all that talent he only has two SEC titles, and has yet to repeat. 3 BCS titles are great but the SEC Title is the best championship on the planet.

3. Miles he gets it done. Great recruiter, and a hires great assistants.

The rest are subject to be fired after a season with 4 wins or less.
Spot on.:good!:

So, "team" and "coach" are interchangeable terms? No, no they're not.

And Saban has coached more national championships than the OBC, which are more meaningful, as they are, by definition, "national" and not limited to a dozen or so teams.

Your argument is absolutely stupid, and I'm pretty sure you know that, but you refuse to admit it.

Saban himself said it was harder to win a SEC title.

1. Spurrier is #1, he has done more with less than any coach in the SEC. He won four straight SEC Titles at UF, six total and a pre BCS mythical NC.

2. Saban best recruiter in the history of college football, he has recruited more elite talent in the last 5 years to Bama than most teams have ever had in the history of their program. But, with all that talent he only has two SEC titles, and has yet to repeat. 3 BCS titles are great but the SEC Title is the best championship on the planet.

3. Miles he gets it done. Great recruiter, and a hires great assistants.

The rest are subject to be fired after a season with 4 wins or less.

Are you kidding yourself?

So all national championships are mythical? So the NCAA doesn't recognize UT's 1998 national championship? Or Nebraska's back to back titles? Or the 2001 Miami championship? So what championships ARE recognized?

My God. So only conference championships are real. Well I ask the question again: why are coaches main goals to win national championships? Please give a rational answer to this question.

Your position about Bamas mythical championships may be valid but not every title is mythical
The Definitive List Of Actual, No-Bull**** College Football National Champions; Or, Why Alabama Is A Liar

I stopped reading this after I saw this:

1993: Auburn. Florida State won every relevant poll, but the Seminoles lost by a touchdown at Notre Dame, which lost the next week at vs. Boston College. The Tigers, who were serving a postseason ban, won all their games but could neither play for the SEC title nor in a bowl. You know who beats everyone in front of them in a major conference? Champions, that's who.

Champions are not banned from the postseason. Period.

For the same reason no one has repeated since '98. The SEC has an impressive level of parity.

I've answered your question, so I'd appreciate an answer to mine: Greater accomplishment in '99, Bama or FSU?

I apologize for some on this board.

It is very hard to win the SEC and National Championships.

The hardest by far is the National Championship. The SEC Title is not the best championship on the planet. Not even close.

Since 1998, the National championship every year has not been mythical, and only one year (I believe 2003 was there another team that could realistically put their name in the hat for the title.)

Mythical championships are claimed from the old days where #1 vs #2 didn't meet in the title game. They now do.

And now we are screaming for more playoffs? Again why?

Well I am not arguing over more football.

I stopped reading this after I saw this:

1993: Auburn. Florida State won every relevant poll, but the Seminoles lost by a touchdown at Notre Dame, which lost the next week at vs. Boston College. The Tigers, who were serving a postseason ban, won all their games but could neither play for the SEC title nor in a bowl. You know who beats everyone in front of them in a major conference? Champions, that's who.

Champions are not banned from the postseason. Period.

And the author totally threw that same logic out the window when he gave '66 to Notre Dame.

I'd comment on this list, but I don't think this author knows a damn thing about football and doesn't deserve the time it would take to tear apart his rubbish.

Reactions: 2 people
Since 1998, the National championship every year has not been mythical, and only one year (I believe 2003 was there another team that could realistically put their name in the hat for the title.)

Mythical championships are claimed from the old days where #1 vs #2 didn't meet in the title game. They now do.

I agree to a large extent. But the system was what it was, and everyone agreed to it. It was by no means perfect, but everyone was playing with the same standard. So I'm not sure "mythical" is a totally apt term.

As for the playoff: I think it's a definite improvement, but it's far from perfect. The "popularity contest" factor is still alive and well. But at least the computers are out of the equation. That garbage was a disaster from the very beginning.

The problem with college football is that there are way too many teams, and too few games played, to come anywhere close to determining whether Team A is more deserving of a playoff spot than Team B. When only 3% of the field will participate in the playoff each year, there is no way to definitively state that the 3% are the right teams.

I agree to a large extent. But the system was what it was, and everyone agreed to it. It was by no means perfect, but everyone was playing with the same standard. So I'm not sure "mythical" is a totally apt term.

As for the playoff: I think it's a definite improvement, but it's far from perfect. The "popularity contest" factor is still alive and well. But at least the computers are out of the equation. That garbage was a disaster from the very beginning.

The problem with college football is that there are way too many teams, and too few games played, to come anywhere close to determining whether Team A is more deserving of a playoff spot than Team B. When only 3% of the field will participate in the playoff each year, there is no way to definitively state that the 3% are the right teams.

That is a very fair point.

I apologize for some on this board.

It is very hard to win the SEC and National Championships.

The hardest by far is the National Championship. The SEC Title is not the best championship on the planet. Not even close.

And now we are screaming for more playoffs? Again why?

Well I am not arguing over more football.

Please stop apologizing for what you aren't able to comprehend. The old BCS was the most unfair system in all of sports. A #1 vs #2 matchup was usually nothing more than a popularity contest of who the media anointed as the two best teams. Until there is a playoff with all of the major conference champions represented, we win have noting more than a MNC.

13. MARK STOOPS, KENTUCKY
Wildcats record: 2-10
Overall record: 2-10
2013 record: 2-10
The skinny: This offensive guru’s still adjusting to being in the limelight as the face of a franchise albeit coaching a team with 20 losses in its last 24 games.

Seriously? The article referred to Mark Stoops as an offensive guru?

Reactions: 2 people
13. MARK STOOPS, KENTUCKY
Wildcats record: 2-10
Overall record: 2-10
2013 record: 2-10
The skinny: This offensive guru’s still adjusting to being in the limelight as the face of a franchise albeit coaching a team with 20 losses in its last 24 games.

Seriously? The article referred to Mark Stoops as an offensive guru?

Oh wow. Good catch, Ivan.

Mark Stoops, former defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator who had never held an offensive coaching position prior to being hired at UK = Offensive Guru.

VN Store

Back