Why do people think firing coaches is the answer?

I honestly think this is one of the dumbest trends of this generation. Hire a coach, if he's not winning 8 games by year 2 then fire him or he's on the hot seat for year 3. If he's not in the SEC championship game by year 3 then fire him. Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole there, but I don't get it. Now Dooley, you could see the obvious writing on the wall midway through year 3, maybe earlier, but as long as you're not seeing the team quitting and we're recruiting well, why would you even consider that? Yeah it may take 4 or 5 years but you'd be waiting that long or longer anyway if we fired our coach. I realize I'm probably talking to a small portion of the fan base, but still, it baffles me how anybody could be that stupid. Yeah, maybe we'll just have to suffer through this year, and wait til next year or maybe even 2016, but I don't see why people want to start all over again, and again, and again. Look at Mullen at Miss St and Spurrier at South Carolina. They got over that hump and it took longer than 2 or 3 years. Not all rebuilding jobs are the same. Unless we missed a bowl this year and next you won't hear me clamoring for Butch's head. Patience will pay off with this staff. Maybe an amendment or two needs to be made after next year, but give them a chance to get 2 or 3 classes of their guys first. GBO

Because it's worked for us so far.

Reactions: 1 person
So you don't think we're capable of going 4-0 after tonight? This team is more talented than every remaining team save maybe USC. But that's still potentially not enough cause coaching plays a role too.

This O-line is not exceptionally talented, and is the most inexperienced in the country in division 1, and they are critical to the offense. While I think we have a good chance to win the last 4, it is nowhere near guaranteed. But lets fire these coaches and get another set for 2 years, then fire them after 2, so we never get anywhere!

I honestly think this is one of the dumbest trends of this generation. Hire a coach, if he's not winning 8 games by year 2 then fire him or he's on the hot seat for year 3. If he's not in the SEC championship game by year 3 then fire him. Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole there, but I don't get it. Now Dooley, you could see the obvious writing on the wall midway through year 3, maybe earlier, but as long as you're not seeing the team quitting and we're recruiting well, why would you even consider that? Yeah it may take 4 or 5 years but you'd be waiting that long or longer anyway if we fired our coach. I realize I'm probably talking to a small portion of the fan base, but still, it baffles me how anybody could be that stupid. Yeah, maybe we'll just have to suffer through this year, and wait til next year or maybe even 2016, but I don't see why people want to start all over again, and again, and again. Look at Mullen at Miss St and Spurrier at South Carolina. They got over that hump and it took longer than 2 or 3 years. Not all rebuilding jobs are the same. Unless we missed a bowl this year and next you won't hear me clamoring for Butch's head. Patience will pay off with this staff. Maybe an amendment or two needs to be made after next year, but give them a chance to get 2 or 3 classes of their guys first. GBO

Because most idiots don't understand why even the best builder couldn't build them a dream home with only a hammer and nails.

Because most idiots don't understand why even the best builder couldn't build them a dream home with only a hammer and nails.
Maybe if we had a great builder that'd be an applicable point. We got Brian Kelly's coat tail rider who's never had to build a program. Get Brian Kelly in here and we can talk patience.

Because firing a coach got us where we are now and some ppl aren't smart enough to figure out the correlation with the downward slide of the program. It wasn't the right solution then and it isn't the right solution now. And I realize some ppl won't agree with the previous statement in its entirety. You can speculate as much as the next person. We may have ended up here anyway. But here we are. We fired Phil and the program isn't where it used to be. I'm not saying I'm not excited about Butch. I'm not saying bring Phil back. Im just saying this is where we are

Last edited:
Maybe if we had a great builder that'd be an applicable point. We got Brian Kelly's coat tail rider who's never had to build a program. Get Brian Kelly in here and we can talk patience.

That works both ways "guru", teams that hired Brian Kelly also had the foresight to hire CBJ as well so clearly they view him more than just a coat tail rider. Clearly you are the expert of all things football so please enlighten us as to who should replace him.

What an embarrassment! I'm not saying he should be fired, but I've yet to see improvement over the course of his tenure thus far. Only poor play, poor execution, and poor play calling.

What an embarrassment! I'm not saying he should be fired, but I've yet to see improvement over the course of his tenure thus far. Only poor play, poor execution, and poor play calling.

Most of the good players are hurt or playing too many snaps. What about that makes you think that things would get better over the course of a season?

Op picked a bad day for this thread! Lol. Butch's team laid an egg tonight. I see a poorly prepared team and a team that just quit after 1 quarter

Always an excuse. Sorry but the CEO is always to blame. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Fans who want coaches fired at this point have no more answers than the fans that want him to stay. It's about understanding where the program is right now. We have good coaches. We have some really great players. We are getting more really great players next year. The foundation is being laid. There is a lot more promise with this coaching staff than the last.

Op picked a bad day for this thread! Lol. Butch's team laid an egg tonight. I see a poorly prepared team and a team that just quit after 1 quarter

I see a team that had about as much of a chance against bama as I do against Brock Lesner in the octagon, but I guess if that's what you would call unprepared, then I guess that's what it is.....

I see a team that had about as much of a chance against bama as I do against Brock Lesner in the octagon, but I guess if that's what you would call unprepared, then I guess that's what it is.....

OK so UK took the #1 into the 4th under their second year coach, but vol fans shouldn't expect the same? I guess they have better players

Reactions: 2 people

Well don't give him any "excuses." Funny how they label facts that lead to unfavorable outcomes as "excuses." I guess if I was in the emergency room with a broken leg my "excuse" would be I fell out of a tree. Silly me with my ridiculous "excuses."

I am thinking that about now you are reconsidering your comments. What you are seeing now (on the field) is a 'Bama OC that is exploiting our weaknesses and our staff does not have the ability to adjust (and our defense is our strongest unit). No amount of 4 and 5 star players will change this.

The following quotes were made by a famous football coach (whose name I refuse to mention):

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."

"I'll beat you with my team today, and I'll beat you with your team tomorrow."

The implication here is that a "System" approach to SEC football will never work. You have to take inventory of what your team can do, and put the players in position to succeed. If it takes running a veer, a pro set, a triple option (or whatever), you do what it takes to win.

I will leave you with one word: Auburn.

The lack of urgency from this staff is being played out in front of our eyes tonight. That's been one of the biggest red flags in my opinion.

How many of you that are turning on the coaches tonight would've bet your house on Tennessee winning before the game? If the answer is none of you then quit acting like the sky is falling. Change the channel. Watch a better game. We can still make a bowl. Just chill the crap out!

VN Store

Back