Andrew Butcher underage drinking

Public intoxication is illegal, which is what happened. If you are drunk in your home, more power to you. Just keep yourself in home.
PI is a joke. It criminalizes the act of leaving an establishment where it's legal to get intoxicated.

Based on your last statement I guess you're also against restaurants and bars serving alcohol? You need to be consistent to save those innocents leaving the amusement park

Reactions: 1 person
No, the act of getting drunk is not criminal

Didn't I just define 2 specific instances where one has broken the law if they are drunk? It's not against the law to drive a vehicle. It's also not against the law to be in public. But it's very much against the law to drive a vehicle while drunk or be in public while drunk.

"Tennessee Volunteers defensive end Andrew Butcher was arrested by Knoxville Police after he was found allegedly intoxicated as he ran around Interstate 40 at about 1:45 a.m. Sunday, according to a report from GoVolsXtra.

The report stated that Butcher had told the arresting officer that he had been drinking beer. Here is an excerpt from the article:

Butcher, 18, who listed White Avenue as his address, was arrested Sunday. He was charged with public intoxication, underage possession of alcohol and violating a controlled access roadway.

Records state an officer responding to a complaint of someone exhibiting drunken behavior on I-40 found Butcher “running around on 40 East near James White Parkway.”

I don't read this to mean he was out in traffic dodging oncoming cars but maybe you do. While I agree the above doesn't provide clarity of exactly what he was doing, I do think it is just as easy to interpret it to mean he was running within the right of way of I-40 in the vicinity of James White Pkwy.

I still feel its a huge leap to assume he was running around in traffic mainly because the Darwin theory would kick in as its not likely a drunk human can dodge vehicles traveling at 70 mph. :good!:

PI is a joke. It criminalizes the act of leaving an establishment where it's legal to get intoxicated.

Based on your last statement I guess you're also against restaurants and bars serving alcohol? You need to be consistent to save those innocents leaving the amusement park

You may think it's a joke, but it doesn't change the fact there's a law against it.

Yes because the answer is always more laws. That worked so well during prohibition and seems to be doing wonders against drugs.

Thought I was laying it on pretty thick. Might want to take some time and review the previously discussed material

Are you drunk right now? Because you make less sense the longer this debate goes on.

If your only defense is that someone passed a law so therefore it must be bad then I'll hand my phone to my 4yo so you can continue the debate.

Whether it's a law is inconsequential to the question of it's a joke or not

I don't read this to mean he was out in traffic dodging oncoming cars but maybe you do. While I agree the above doesn't provide clarity of exactly what he was doing, I do think it is just as easy to interpret it to mean he was running within the right of way of I-40 in the vicinity of James White Pkwy.

I still feel its a huge leap to assume he was running around in traffic mainly because the Darwin theory would kick in as its not likely a drunk human can dodge vehicles traveling at 70 mph. :good!:

I've not said that he was playing chicken with cars. I've said it's a very serious deal for him to be "running around on I-40 East" (police officer's words, not mine) while drunk. Notice the word "on" in that sentence. He was running around "on" I-40 East.

people are really stuffy on issues like this. If you can't accept that college kids like to get drunk and have fun, then you didn't do college properly.

Stated by someone who is in college. :)

Reactions: 2 people
If your only defense is that someone passed a law so therefore it must be bad then I'll hand my phone to my 4yo so you can continue the debate.

Whether it's a law is inconsequential to the question of it's a joke or not

I would say if my only defense was that there is a law against it, then I'm on pretty firm ground. You might as well hand the phone to your 4 year old, maybe they will have a better understanding of how a law would be important to an argument about breaking a law.

I would say if my only defense was that there is a law against it, then I'm on pretty firm ground. You might as well hand the phone to your 4 year old, maybe they will have a better understanding of how a law would be important to an argument about breaking a law.

Breaking a law and the law itself being ridiculous are 2 completely separate ideas. You'd still be outgunned since he could probably understand that fact

Do you believe the people passing laws only act in the best interest of the people?

This kid is already fighting a major uphill battle to get on the field at Tennessee.....this ain't helping his cause.

Hey may not play this year or next. But he'll definitely play by his RS soph or Junior year and it won't just be mop up duty.

This dude is just as relentless when he's sober.

Breaking a law and the law itself being ridiculous are 2 completely separate ideas. You'd still be outgunned since he could probably understand that fact

Do you believe the people passing laws only act in the best interest of the people?

You thinking a law is ridiculous does not change that it's a law. No , I do not believe all laws are in our best interest, I do believe DUI laws are however

You thinking a law is ridiculous does not change that it's a law. No , I do not believe all laws are in our best interest, I do believe DUI laws are however

DUI limits are driven by special interest groups and money. Only reason they are in place now

Was the "running" around on i40 literal? that seems ignorant at best.. jack Daniels has taken advantage of the best of us but dang!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back