Jimmy Cheek stepping down!

"Tried" key word here. UT actually slipped in the rankings and with cuts in diversity funding - will likely see an even bigger slide this year.

How can that be? Are universities there to teach the tools needed for a successful career or for social indoctrination? Does the need to include diversity meant that the kiddies didn't learn what they needed in kindergarten and are unable to move to higher level topics like calculus and physics? Personally, I could care less if an engineer who designed a bridge I cross is a master of diversity, but I damn well care that he/she knows how to get the bridge right. Same goes for my doctor and other professionals.

Reactions: 3 people
How can that be? Are universities there to teach the tools needed for a successful career or for social indoctrination? Does the need to include diversity meant that the kiddies didn't learn what they needed in kindergarten and are unable to move to higher level topics like calculus and physics? Personally, I could care less if an engineer who designed a bridge I cross is a master of diversity, but I damn well care that he/she knows how to get the bridge right. Same goes for my doctor and other professionals.

Can I get a boom? :good!:

Because the purpose of student government is to help better your campus regardless of what organization you align yourself with. I don't see an unwritten rule that says "only Greeks can be apart of SGA."

But I love the way you look at the world, "There is a chance I might not be accepted into SGA so **** it why even try?" Contrary to popular belief, Greek people that are actually in student-led campus organizations actually give a damn about the student body. It's not just "something to drink to".

Since 1968 I've heard each and every matriculating class at the University of Tennessee speak the exact sa.... oh wait ...you forgot

" 'sides it'll look good on my resume" ... ;-)

Reactions: 1 person
Just hunch, but I'd guess that the people who won't attend due to limited diversity funding are probably not helping with the academic rankings. Of course, you're probably referring to some ginned-up BS press ranking where you get extra points for having the most Albanian lesbians.

Spoken like true Tennessee Republican Legislative Members who have no idea what "diversity" means and why it matters. Sit back and enjoy your bible thumping
While the rest of the country laughs ...and yes the reputation and ranking of the university is damaged because of it.

Just hunch, but I'd guess that the people who won't attend due to limited diversity funding are probably not helping with the academic rankings. Of course, you're probably referring to some ginned-up BS press ranking where you get extra points for having the most Albanian lesbians.

Have you ever heard of Min Kao?

You know, the Co-founder of Garmin GPS, UT alum who gave 12.5 million to the school for the building of the new engineering building?

What about Mark Dean? Co-creator of the personal computer.

Both guys UT regularly highlight in commercials and press information. Why do think that is? Because they've gone on to be successful people and that success reflects positively on their degree granting institutions.

What's your thoughts on Jackie Walker? The first black captain in the SEC.. Are you ok with him because he is black bc it's football related? Do we overlook the fact that he was gay bc we get positive UT press?

You can be smug all you want, but when minority students choose other institutions over UT because of UT's approach to diversity that's a sad thing. Despite popular belief, having an all white, Christian student population isn't a good thing.

I bet if some of our minority 5 star football athletes de-committed or transferred due to diversity issues, you'd change your tune.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
All I got to say is bout time.
Not so fast! If he gets replaced by one of the pc gestapo goons, like a Donna Shalala at the U, some of our newly enlightened in the state that believes the fount of all knowledge comes from their browser that opens every morning at either A. HuffPo or B. MoveOn, then orange boys & girls, its been real. want to see that future, look at Tulane as well.

Reactions: 4 people

People on here are usually a little more covert and veiled with their racism, but you don't care to just put it all out there I see

Jimmy Cheek stepping down!

Jimmy Cheek Being Pushed Off The Hill is more like it!

Have you ever heard of Min Kao?

You know, the Co-founder of Garmin GPS, UT alum who gave 12.5 million to the school for the building of the new engineering building?

What about Mark Dean? Co-creator of the personal computer.

Both guys UT regularly highlight in commercials and press information. Why do think that is? Because they've gone on to be successful people and that success reflects positively on their degree granting institutions.

What's your thoughts on Jackie Walker? The first black captain in the SEC.. Are you ok with him because he is black bc it's football related? Do we overlook the fact that he was gay bc we get positive UT press?

You can be smug all you want, but when minority students choose other institutions over UT because of UT's approach to diversity that's a sad thing. Despite popular belief, having an all white, Christian student population isn't a good thing.

I bet if some of our minority 5 star football athletes de-committed or transferred due to diversity issues, you'd change your tune.

And you have absolutely no proof that any of those people attended UT because of our diversity rating. In fact, when did we even get a diversity ranking and when did it become important in the world view.

Reactions: 5 people
Hate to correct you young scholars but if he gives 100 percent to academics then that is all he has to give. Doesn't leave room for anything else. According to your statement if correct athletics get no attention.

Perhaps a reading comprehension class at your local community college might help?

Plus, that is why we have an AD. The president delegates those responsibilities to him.

Spoken like true Tennessee Republican Legislative Members who have no idea what "diversity" means and why it matters. Sit back and enjoy your bible thumping
While the rest of the country laughs ...and yes the reputation and ranking of the university is damaged because of it.
I hate to break it to you but your diversity is a bill of goods. What made this country great was homogeneity achieved through assimilation. The reason this country is broken economically and politically is this false notion that everything and everyone has to be not just treated equally under the law but made to feel equal. Unfortunately, what it takes to make some people feel equal is inevitably going to make other people feel unequal. There is no utopia of diversity.

For what it's worth, I think anyone who would base his or her guiding philosophy on whether something so vague as the rest of the country is laughing at them is a pretty small-minded individual with a dangerously flawed self-image.

I'll go back to cleaning my black rifles and thumbing through my Bible now.

Reactions: 10 people
People on here are usually a little more covert and veiled with their racism, but you don't care to just put it all out there I see
Actually, I was thinking about all the special snowflakes out there who incessantly obsess over these sorts of issues and resort to ad hominem attacks when they can't prove a point.

For your edification, the money that was taken away from the diversity office was all given to a scholarship program for minority engineering students. Public Chapter 1066 if you want to read it for yourself. I'd imagine that people who want to defund minority scholarships to fund the promotion of transgender pronouns are the real racists in this scenario, but I live in reality and I realize that's becoming a much less populated plane of existence these days.

Reactions: 9 people
Actually, I was thinking about all the special snowflakes out there who incessantly obsess over these sorts of issues and resort to ad hominem attacks when they can't prove a point.

For your edification, the money that was taken away from the diversity office was all given to a scholarship program for minority engineering students. Public Chapter 1066 if you want to read it for yourself. I'd imagine that people who want to defund minority scholarships to fund the promotion of transgender pronouns are the real racists in this scenario, but I live in reality and I realize that's becoming a much less populated plane of existence these days.

I wonder if with Cheek leaving the racist discriminatory tuition policies will go away?

And you have absolutely no proof that any of those people attended UT because of our diversity rating. In fact, when did we even get a diversity ranking and when did it become important in the world view.

No one said they attended UT because of a diversity rating. It wasn't an issue then. You know, back in the days when state government kept its nose out of the operations of UT.

Diversity policies are absolutely part of the metrics for how universities are rated. Cheek created the whole Top 25 campaign- and failed. UT's ranking will continue to fall.

No one said they attended UT because of a diversity rating. It wasn't an issue then. You know, back in the days when state government kept its nose out of the operations of UT.

Diversity policies are absolutely part of the metrics for how universities are rated. Cheek created the whole Top 25 campaign- and failed. UT's ranking will continue to fall.

You used their names to make a point. But I guess you didn't really have a point, just strawmen.

If universities are now ranked by diversity and by attempts to draw students based on gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual preference rather than on educational excellence then we have all failed in our endeavor to assimilate meaningful knowledge and pass it along it as the future of civilization. Further, we've had enough years of social experimentation behind us to have learned that you cannot eliminate bigotry of any sort by replacing it with another type of sanctioned bigotry.

Reactions: 7 people

Damn, Hillbilly, what a well worded and thought-out post. I agree with every word.... Thanks, man.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate to break it to you but your diversity is a bill of goods. What made this country great was homogeneity achieved through assimilation. The reason this country is broken economically and politically is this false notion that everything and everyone has to be not just treated equally under the law but made to feel equal. Unfortunately, what it takes to make some people feel equal is inevitably going to make other people feel unequal. There is no utopia of diversity.

For what it's worth, I think anyone who would base his or her guiding philosophy on whether something so vague as the rest of the country is laughing at them is a pretty small-minded individual with a dangerously flawed self-image.

I'll go back to cleaning my black rifles and thumbing through my Bible now.

You've got an "Amen" here....

VN Store

Back