Jimmy Cheek stepping down!

Just like a non-terrorist who buys an AR15, you've helped prop up a tool of oppression. And you don't demonstrate the appropriate level of guilt for the harm that your Greek-privilege wrought on others, even if you did make some vague allusion to community service. I won't even delve into the misogynistic overtones that your reference to "responsible manhood" conjures.

Yes, I complemented you on two of your later posts, both of which I agree. My response to this one, however, is in stone. Frankly, I was outraged that you would personally attack me and my brothers of so long ago with this nonsensical drivel. Two of my dear fraternity brothers' names are chiseled on that wall in D.C., aka, the Vietnam Memorial. How dare you denigrate their precious memory and ultimate sacrifice. My post/promise still stands ".... like chiclets", dude. Nothing in your POS post is applicable to them OR me. Shame on you....

Yes, I complemented you on two of your later posts, both of which I agree. My response to this one, however, is in stone. Frankly, I was outraged that you would personally attack me and my brothers of so long ago with this nonsensical drivel. Two of my dear fraternity brothers' names are chiseled on that wall in D.C., aka, the Vietnam Memorial. How dare you denigrate their precious memory and ultimate sacrifice. My post/promise still stands ".... like chiclets", dude. Nothing in your POS post is applicable to them OR me. Shame on you....

Could be wrong but it seemed pretty clear that entire post you are angry at was meant sarcastically, because I'm almost positive just a page or two later he made another sarcastic post alluding to the fact that he had "purchased friends". I wouldn't be so short with him.

TL;DR He isn't being serious.

Reactions: 1 person

If you are old enough to have fraternity brothers in Vietnam then you were in school in a time when young men were chosen on merit vs who they knew or how much $$ they had. I personally witnessed the efforts by my roommate to gain "acceptance" in Lambda Chi, get pledged, not be able to afford normal necessities because of dues and then eventually flunk out of EE. Thankfully he quit the frat and became a damn good EE after retaking nearly two years of classwork. Could I have gotten in Sigma Chi? Sure...7x legacy with an uncle and grandfather with money. Did I try? Not a chance. Fraternities meant something at one time, by the time I was in school, they were a selective social club. Sorry if the frat boys don't agree with this but try seeing it from the side of those that aren't interested in what frats had/have to offer now.

Last edited:
You used their names to make a point. But I guess you didn't really have a point, just strawmen.

Just like UT uses them. Good press only, no real commitment to diversity.

If you can't see how that makes UT a weaker institution, there's no need in continuing the conversation.

I hate to break it to you but your diversity is a bill of goods. What made this country great was homogeneity achieved through assimilation. The reason this country is broken economically and politically is this false notion that everything and everyone has to be not just treated equally under the law but made to feel equal. Unfortunately, what it takes to make some people feel equal is inevitably going to make other people feel unequal. There is no utopia of diversity.

For what it's worth, I think anyone who would base his or her guiding philosophy on whether something so vague as the rest of the country is laughing at them is a pretty small-minded individual with a dangerously flawed self-image.

I'll go back to cleaning my black rifles and thumbing through my Bible now.

I don't know what's sadder. The fact that you think this is good logic, or the fact that 8 people clicked "like."

Anyone who loves UT should be concerned that UT is laughed at. As a UT alum, It saddens me deeply.

I don't know what's sadder. The fact that you think this is good logic, or the fact that 8 people clicked "like."

Anyone who loves UT should be concerned that UT is laughed at. As a UT alum, It saddens me deeply.

Again, post a link to people laughing at UT.

Reactions: 3 people
Just like UT uses them. Good press only, no real commitment to diversity.

If you can't see how that makes UT a weaker institution, there's no need in continuing the conversation.

So you acknowledge the fact that you actually have no point?

Reactions: 2 people
If universities are now ranked by diversity and by attempts to draw students based on gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual preference rather than on educational excellence then we have all failed in our endeavor to assimilate meaningful knowledge and pass it along it as the future of civilization. Further, we've had enough years of social experimentation behind us to have learned that you cannot eliminate bigotry of any sort by replacing it with another type of sanctioned bigotry.

Boom! Good post.

Wanna come to school here? Great!! You're a good scholar? Excellent! Notice that I didn't include skin color, creed, or sexual orientation in this post.

Reactions: 3 people
Pepper. It's obvious that the post that got your attention was not received in the manner that I had hoped and that's on me for using a rhetorical device without knowing my audience. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to you or your organization. To that end I apologize for upsetting you and hope that you don't give that post any more thought.

Reactions: 2 people
Per Hubbs

After months of speculation on an exit plan for Chancellor Jimmy Cheek, one is officially in place. It's not a surprise that Cheek is stepping down after drawing plenty of criticism from Board of Trustee members as well as some of the state lawmakers. Now there are obvious questions moving forward now that Cheek is set to become the highest paid teacher/faculty member on campus sometime in the next 6-10 months.

We have mentioned ETSU's Brian Noland in recent war rooms and Noland is certainly some one that many close to the University like. However, those around Noland are giving more indications that he's not interested in being a campus chancellor and would very much like to remain a University president, which he is now at ETSU. So the question moving forward is what direction does the search head.

The other question is what does it mean for things athletically and that is an unknown. Cheek and Dave Hart had began to work pretty well together. Hart would certainly like a contract extension but that hasn't happened and one wonders if it will now with Cheek gone. Remember, the Board of Trustees is set to have more power starting next month. But there hasn't been a lot of chatter about an extension. And Hart is heading into year 5 of a 6 year deal.

VN Store

Back