Jerod Evans - should we be worried?

The kid is an excellent QB, and even if he personally gives us a little trouble they simply do not have enough at the other positions on the field to hang with us for the whole game IMHO..

With the biggest difference coming on the defensive side of the ball. I will be extremely surprised if they can finish within 2 TD of us.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll just say that if Butch coaches like Hugh Freeze did against Memphis last year we are in trouble against Tech. Have to run the ball down there throat. Go watch the Navy vs Memphis game.

Navy as an example of running down their throats? The whole point of the option is a combination of misdirection and agile blocking. They run a lot, but you're more likely to see cut blocks by their undersized linemen and a concerted effort to get mismatches in space. That's part of our offense, too, but when Butch calls a game like that everybody gets upset about us not running down the middle enough.

I got that, but I haven't watched enough Memphis football to see that. Do you have some examples?

I don't think he'll be a savior for Tech, either, but I'd like some ammunition here.

Looked pretty damn good to me when they whipped OleMiss last year. Fuente did a great job developing a 2star QB nobody wanted into a first round draft pick. Also, Lynch was throwing to a bunch of walk ons last year on the way to a great season. Finally, Fuente went went 19-6 the last two seasons, AT MEMPHIS.

I'm not sweating either VT or Fuente here in a couple of weeks, but I personally think Fuente is an excellent coach who will do very good things with the Hokies.

Reactions: 3 people
Fuente said they would be using 2 QB's for sure.fwiw Evans doesn't scare me that much right now, other than Auburn he really didn't have any offers from good schools that I saw. I will be watching their first game but, I still doubt that offense will be smoothed out by the 2nd game regardless of the QB. Which, coincidentally, will be his first big game against a big opponent as well.

Evans is a big, strong, athletic QB who shouldn't be necessarily taken likely for sure. But he's never seen anything close to what he'll see when he plays our beloved Shoop-led defense. He's gonna have several guys with equal or better athletic ability chasing him around. So no, not worried.

Could be he's that good. But the other guy wasn't a good QB at all. Made lots of poor decisions

This guy was in a 3 way race for the starting job with last years backup and a true freshman. Won the job just yesterday. Hasn't shown leadership ability or ownership of the team just yet. That's a big reason for the delay in naming him.

That Ole miss game was a total modern trap for ole miss. They were out of sorts from snap one. looked sluggish. Memphis had bet their entire season on that game and Feunte his future. Ole miss wasn't even paying attention or thinking about memphis. It was just another day of football. I don't remember well but I think ole miss might have had some injuries as well. What ever. It impacted the season no doubt but other than that I don't put a lot of stock in it other than Ole miss wasn't ready.

He's never played a snap of big boy ball. First road game in Bristol. And he gets our defense? I think he should be worried about us. But that's just me.

Reactions: 2 people
He may have been a good QB in Juco, but he has to have the finishing pieces of the puzzle around him to be stellar, and to my knowledge, he does not. He will be mobile, which yes, will be somewhat of a headache at times, but just can't see his supporting cast making the difference.

Looked pretty damn good to me when they whipped OleMiss last year. Fuente did a great job developing a 2star QB nobody wanted into a first round draft pick. Also, Lynch was throwing to a bunch of walk ons last year on the way to a great season. Finally, Fuente went went 19-6 the last two seasons, AT MEMPHIS.

I'm not sweating either VT or Fuente here in a couple of weeks, but I personally think Fuente is an excellent coach who will do very good things with the Hokies.

Lynch was a 3 star recruited by Florida and Indiana, according to rivals anyway. So he wasn't completely unwanted.tbf

Reactions: 2 people
This guy was in a 3 way race for the starting job with last years backup and a true freshman. Won the job just yesterday. Hasn't shown leadership ability or ownership of the team just yet. That's a big reason for the delay in naming him.

Speaks volumes...

You are going to have to go watch the memphis games last year. Mistakes all over the field that left huge chunks of yardage on the grass. Penalties everywhere in critical situations. He's one of those guys trying to bring high school ball to the college field. He rides lady luck 24-7 no matter the consequences in hopes of capturing momentum and winning games by playing volume.

Based on that you could call Butch undisciplined:

OU- See very end of 3rd quarter & all of 4th quarter...mistakes and penalties galore.

UF- UT played great for 53 minutes. The last 7 minutes was awful. Had UT not had 2 timeouts left on the last drive the game would have ended with a 10 second run-off. Fans rip on Dooley for the '10 LSU game but this was just as bad.

Ark- Tons of sloppy mistakes in that game.

Winning at Memphis just like winning at Vandy (no matter how you do it) will get you a better job.

Fuentes is going to roll the dice with the new kid because it's who he is and what he does. He's a risk taker. He is sloppy about it as well. If you want to beat him you manage the tempo of the game and let him make his mistakes and expose how sloppy his team is.

Guess what Butch does best?

That Ole miss game was a total modern trap for ole miss. They were out of sorts from snap one. looked sluggish. Memphis had bet their entire season on that game and Feunte his future. Ole miss wasn't even paying attention or thinking about memphis. It was just another day of football. I don't remember well but I think ole miss might have had some injuries as well. What ever. It impacted the season no doubt but other than that I don't put a lot of stock in it other than Ole miss wasn't ready.

Ole Miss came out of the gates vs Memphis ready to play, led 14-0 early. But Memphis was good enough to punch back and pretty much dominate a very good, very talented OleMiss team the rest of the way.

So Fuente named J Evans QB1 yesterday.. I did some research on this guy, and he appears to be the real deal - especially under the tutelage of an offensive Guru like Fuente. He was the #1 rated Dual Threat JUCO QB during last year's cycle.

Here are his stats from JUCO (Trinity Valley, TX) last year:
Games: 8
Passing Yards: 3,164
Passing Yards / Game: 395.5
Passing TDs: 38
INTs: 3
Rushing Yards: 414 on 77 attempts, 4 TDs

For comparison purposes, here are Cam Newton's single-season stats at Blinn Community College (same JUCO region in TX as Trinity Valley) >>
Games: 12
Passing Yards: 2,833
Passing Yards / Game: 236
Passing TDs: 22
INTs: 5
Rushing Yards: 655 on 108 carries, 16 TDs

I do realize that he is still an unknown commodity in big-time college football.. But those are some gaudy numbers, especially when you compare them to Newton's.

I just wonder how much this guy will change the complexion of the game, in terms of his playmaking ability etc.

I'm confident in our defense with the playmakers we have, as well as Shoop handling the Xs and Os. However, talented DT QBs always give me heartburn. Not only that, this will be our first big test on a VERY big stage.

Based on VT's defensive production last year, I don't think our O will have any problems scoring points. My fear is that this one becomes a high-scoring shootout, similar to the first half of the Bowling Green game last season where our secondary kept getting torched...

What say ye, VN ?? Should we be worried ?

well we had one of the highest rated JUCO o-linemen a couple of years ago, and you see how that panned out....

VN Store

Back