Jerod Evans - should we be worried?

I'm not sure why everyone on this board is writing off VT. They might not be in their glory days but we weren't exactly dominate last year. I get it, we have the pieces and the upward trend but come on, it's college football.

Reactions: 1 person
Tech has literally no offensive line. They keep talking about how those guys are all returning, but returning a bunch of fat dudes that suck isn't a help.

Until Tech actually shows that they can put together a semblance of a competent offense, they can have Michael Vick back and I won't buy anything.

Vick would torch us. Not completely but he would keep the chains moving

He definitely gives them a much better chance than a non-mobile QB...kind of like the LSU backup who came in after we knocked out their starter back in the 2001 SECCG...

Tech has literally no offensive line. They keep talking about how those guys are all returning, but returning a bunch of fat dudes that suck isn't a help.

Until Tech actually shows that they can put together a semblance of a competent offense, they can have Michael Vick back and I won't buy anything.

Doesn't ESPN have 2 of their lineman as top 100 players in college football?

Possibly. I am worried it might take us a few games to get comfortable with Shoop's system.

Not too worried about that. Remember Iowas lineman that was like the first lineman taken in the nfl draft? Barnett handled him fairly well if I do recall.

Reactions: 1 person
...yeah, just ask Ole Miss...:)

GO VOLS!

He's not wrong. I watched that game again yesterday. Lynch played out of his mind sort of like BGSU did against UT. A LOT of their big plays came after things broke down with him throwing risky passes.

On a sidenote, I said in another thread earlier that I thought Ole Miss was overrated. After watching their D without Nkemdiche.... I'm absolutely convinced of it. They couldn't get to Lynch and when they had to Memphis was able to run the ball at the Ole Miss D.

2016 Best College Players

247 does a list. Highest VA Tech player is 67 with Ford. They also have two players in the 160's in Facyson, a CB, and Hodges. No linemen ranked from them.

Barnett, Cam, Hurd, JRM all ranked in top 100. Cam and Barnett in top 50. Dobbs is in the 100's.

We probably have a couple of other guys that should have made it in Kamara and Kirkland.

Last edited:
He may have been a good QB in Juco, but he has to have the finishing pieces of the puzzle around him to be stellar, and to my knowledge, he does not. He will be mobile, which yes, will be somewhat of a headache at times, but just can't see his supporting cast making the difference.

He actually has some pretty nice pieces to the puzzle.. Isiah Ford, Bucky Hodges, Travon McMillian, Sam Rogers are a few of the guys that the VT offense will lean on to have big seasons. Ford and McMillian are both coming off 1000 yard seasons at the WR and RB positions.. Hodges has been shifted to the WR position this season and presents a big match up challenge given his size at 6'7 245lbs. Rogers is a do it all kind of player, filling the fullback, tailback, H-back roles.. just all around solid.

The main key IMO, is the VT OL.. which has actually drawn the most praise from the coaches during the preseason. Next up is the QB spot... Evans is an unknown. Great stats coming out of the JUCO ranks, but how much water does that really hold. He did beat out a very athletic, and more experienced (SR) Brendan Motley to get the starting nod. Coaches believe he's picking up on the intangibles, and stringing together more consistent days than the other guys.

Other question marks on offense for VT are depth behind the starting WRs. Outside of the starters, Ford, Cam Phillips, and Hodges.. the depth is relatively young and inexperienced.

On the defensive side of the ball.. LB play is a question mark. Tremaine Edmunds looks like a beast, now we'll find out if he can play like one. The other LB, Andrew M.. has a years worth of experience under his belt and needs to become more consistent. He had some issues last season with missing gaps etc. Big plays are killers, and he's in a spot where mistakes get exposed quick.

The DL should be solid. Ken Ekanem at one of the DE spots will be hard to handle. The DT position is solid through out the 2 deep. One of the backup DT's (Tim Settle) has all the tools to be legit and should get plenty of opportunity to show what he can do. Depth at the DE spot is a concern.

DBU should be solid. Facyson had a monster freshman season going before the injury bug hit him... he's supposedly back to 100%. Edmunds and Mook Reynolds are both sophomores who stepped in as freshman last season and had good years.

I get that expectations are high for the Vols, and on the flip side... nobody is on the VT bandwagon.. that's what a few years of mediocre play will do for you. I have a feeling though that if VT can avoid the injury bug they have a chance to knock some people off this year. Whether or not that happens next Saturday in Bristol, I'm not sure.. but anything can happen inside those lines.

VN Store

Back