Jerod Evans - should we be worried?

Ole Miss came out of the gates vs Memphis ready to play, led 14-0 early. But Memphis was good enough to punch back and pretty much dominate a very good, very talented OleMiss team the rest of the way.

Enjoy your fear based society but I remember Ole miss scored a couple and thought the game was over and put it in cruise control. I don't think we over look the BIB.

Reactions: 1 person
Enjoy your fear based society but I remember Ole miss scored a couple and thought the game was over and put it in cruise control. I don't think we over look the BIB.

You said they were "out of sorts from snap one". No they weren't, and an early 14-0 lead proves that. Whether or not the Rebels put it on cruise control from that point on I don't know. All I'm saying is that Fuente, playing with a far, far, far less talented team had them playing well enough to be able to outplay and outscore (37-10) one of the best teams in the country the rest of the way.

Btw, all I'm doing is discussing that particular game with you. I'm not particularly worried at all about playing VT this year....we'll win the game comfortably IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That Ole miss game was a total modern trap for ole miss. They were out of sorts from snap one. looked sluggish. Memphis had bet their entire season on that game and Feunte his future. Ole miss wasn't even paying attention or thinking about memphis. It was just another day of football. I don't remember well but I think ole miss might have had some injuries as well. What ever. It impacted the season no doubt but other than that I don't put a lot of stock in it other than Ole miss wasn't ready.

I was at the game and I disagree with your assessment of Fuente. Ole Miss got up 14-0 and everybody in the stadium thought Memphis was about to get steam-rolled. Fuente went back to basics if anything and put the game in his QB's hands. Ole Miss let off some pressure on defense and started playing a really soft coverage, kinda like what we did in our Florida loss. Lynch got in a rythm and was putting every pass on the in the receivers hands. There were a few momentum changes and then Memphis had control of the game. You mentioned Fuente being reckless but he honestly played to the strength of his team and what Ole miss was giving him. Freeze actually got Nkemdiche hurt on Offense by running him out of the wildcat!!! How is Freeze not reckless and idiotic for that one!! He hurt his best defensive player trying to make a statement to everyone watching that his team was just so much more talented than Memphis that he could trot out his stud DE to pound one in the end zone.

Side note: Ole Miss' passing attack never got going cause their receivers kept dropping passes.

Reactions: 2 people
You said they were "out of sorts from snap one". No they weren't, and an early 14-0 lead proves that. Whether or not the Rebels put it on cruise control from that point on I don't know. All I'm saying is that Fuente, playing with a far, far, far less talented team had them playing well enough to be able to outplay and outscore (37-10) one of the best teams in the country the rest of the way.

Btw, all I'm doing is discussing that particular game with you. I'm not particularly worried at all about playing VT this year....we'll win the game comfortably IMO.

You could feel it from the time ole miss took the field. I think we were actually talking about the game in the ncaa forum at the time. I remember watching the game and posting with volnation about it at the time, and all of us felt that one coming from the get. It was memphises big win they needed. It was their season, and it was fuente's chance to get out of memphis. My biggest concern about this season is that the media volnation has just crowned U.T. national champions before the season and you know how that turns out. We have something to prove IMO and I want it that way. We need to keep our edge.

This guy was in a 3 way race for the starting job with last years backup and a true freshman. Won the job just yesterday. Hasn't shown leadership ability or ownership of the team just yet. That's a big reason for the delay in naming him.

That's what I have read. Sounds like he's been a little underwhelming and VT coaches aren't entirely confident with him.

He's never faced anything like what he's going to face in two Saturday's with our defense in front of 150,000 fans. This ain't JUCo.

Reactions: 1 person
Every team you play will have a best player. Most will be good players. But as one of the VT fans pointed out games are about match ups.

In the worst case scenario does Evans change the match up between UT's front 7 and VT OL? I'd say not by a long shot. Does he change any match up enough to change the game? I just don't see it

That's what I have read. Sounds like he's been a little underwhelming and VT coaches aren't entirely confident with him.

He's never faced anything like what he's going to face in two Saturday's with our defense in front of 150,000 fans. This ain't JUCo.

I live here in Blacksburg and my wife and I both work for va tech. My 2 closest neighbors and golfing buddies both are in the VT athletic department. They pretty much told me the same thing you read. Can't wait to see him against our defense.

If we are worried about Jerod Evans we might as well get the idea of going to play in SEC championship out of our heads.

I think that's a good way of putting it. We're going to play against a ton of players better than Evans this year. The good news is we have plenty of good players on our side ready to go.

Na, this guy barely beat out a freshman walk-on for the starting job.

I'm sure he will make a couple of plays, but it will most likely be once we take out our first string.

So Fuente named J Evans QB1 yesterday.. I did some research on this guy, and he appears to be the real deal - especially under the tutelage of an offensive Guru like Fuente. He was the #1 rated Dual Threat JUCO QB during last year's cycle.

Here are his stats from JUCO (Trinity Valley, TX) last year:
Games: 8
Passing Yards: 3,164
Passing Yards / Game: 395.5
Passing TDs: 38
INTs: 3
Rushing Yards: 414 on 77 attempts, 4 TDs

For comparison purposes, here are Cam Newton's single-season stats at Blinn Community College (same JUCO region in TX as Trinity Valley) >>
Games: 12
Passing Yards: 2,833
Passing Yards / Game: 236
Passing TDs: 22
INTs: 5
Rushing Yards: 655 on 108 carries, 16 TDs

I do realize that he is still an unknown commodity in big-time college football.. But those are some gaudy numbers, especially when you compare them to Newton's.

I just wonder how much this guy will change the complexion of the game, in terms of his playmaking ability etc.

I'm confident in our defense with the playmakers we have, as well as Shoop handling the Xs and Os. However, talented DT QBs always give me heartburn. Not only that, this will be our first big test on a VERY big stage.

Based on VT's defensive production last year, I don't think our O will have any problems scoring points. My fear is that this one becomes a high-scoring shootout, similar to the first half of the Bowling Green game last season where our secondary kept getting torched...

What say ye, VN ?? Should we be worried ?

This isn't JUCO or Varsity JUCO (ACC). So......yea

VN Store

Back