Jerod Evans - should we be worried?

Exactly, was familiar with the sec and he struggled. Do juco qb's really come in and make an instant impact? (Cam was never a true juco qb)

True JUCO? Yes... he was. So was Chad Kelly. Nick Marshall.

Jerrod Evans started his career in the big 12 (wrong lol) The kid can play. Strong arm, good feet.
He will have some success against us. He'll have a very good year in the ACC.

Here's why:
WR Isiah Ford- One of the top WR in the ACC.
RB Tramon Williams - Also one of the best young playmakers in the ACC.

Look- Jerrod Evans isn't a scrub, nor does Tennessee have all the good players.

V-tech will be better on defense .

Where we win is up front. Our OL and DL is better than theirs.

They'll have a surge in the 2nd quarter, but we're going to be too much.

Last edited:
I live here in Blacksburg and my wife and I both work for va tech. My 2 closest neighbors and golfing buddies both are in the VT athletic department. They pretty much told me the same thing you read. Can't wait to see him against our defense.

Interesting. Yeah, Stewart Mandell was also talking about this (in passing) on a podcast this week. His sources told him the QB battle was much closer than anyone hoped it would be.

What's your take? You think Tennessee rolls in this game?

All the reports from their fall practice has been both him and last years starter were making mistakes and neither could separate enough to win the job. I think at this point they had to name one of them and he has more upside.

You asked if "JUCO qbs come in and make an instant impact". I gave you 2 examples. Stop moving the goal posts.

Not moving anything. He was not an elite recruit forced into juco like Newton or Kelly. He was a low level recruit who went to juco because of injury. They aren't anything alike.

Reactions: 1 person

Jerrod Evans started his career in the big 12 (wrong lol) The kid can play. Strong arm, good feet.

Here's why:

V-techs defense will not even compare to ours imo. We will see.

Exactly, was familiar with the sec and he struggled. Do juco qb's really come in and make an instant impact? (Cam was never a true juco qb)

that is why the Juco from Scooba isn't starting over Sean White who is average...

Tennessee's defense practices against the spread and a mobile QB everyday, they should be prepared to see other dual threat QBs. Will he get some yards after seeing Barnett, Tuttle, Kongbo, O'Brian, JRM, etc. etc. coming down on him?...............yep, but the sideline is a long way away. Listen, UT has speed on the outside, inside, upside, downside every which side........it doesn't mean that once in awhile a QB with legs won't get away, when you see a 280lb DEs that can run as fast of you coming with bad intentions.......I would run faster too.

Go Vols!!!

Not moving anything. He was not an elite recruit forced into juco like Newton or Kelly. He was a low level recruit who went to juco because of injury. They aren't anything alike.

Again, you asked a specific question, I gave a specific answer before you went off on another tangent.

Last edited:
That quarterback may be halfway decent, but he didn't have Barnett, JRM, Kirkland, KMac et al chasing his ass last year.

Here's why:

I'm pretty sure V-Techs defense was one reason they sucked so bad the last few years. Funete didn't ever hire a new DC. He kept Bud Foster.

2015 Football Schedule - Trinity Valley CC

Look at their scores last year. I think you can throw all those stats out because they basically don't play defense. His school scored 94 in a game. They scored 64 in one and 56 in another....and lost. Those aren't OT games either.

He signed with Air Force out of high school and got hurt then transferred to JUCO. He played in a joke conference and has never faced an actual defense, couple that with the fact that he barely beat out two guys that were supposedly not very good and I am not really worried.

So Fuente named J Evans QB1 yesterday.. I did some research on this guy, and he appears to be the real deal - especially under the tutelage of an offensive Guru like Fuente. He was the #1 rated Dual Threat JUCO QB during last year's cycle.

Here are his stats from JUCO (Trinity Valley, TX) last year:
Games: 8
Passing Yards: 3,164
Passing Yards / Game: 395.5
Passing TDs: 38
INTs: 3
Rushing Yards: 414 on 77 attempts, 4 TDs

For comparison purposes, here are Cam Newton's single-season stats at Blinn Community College (same JUCO region in TX as Trinity Valley) >>
Games: 12
Passing Yards: 2,833
Passing Yards / Game: 236
Passing TDs: 22
INTs: 5
Rushing Yards: 655 on 108 carries, 16 TDs

I do realize that he is still an unknown commodity in big-time college football.. But those are some gaudy numbers, especially when you compare them to Newton's.

I just wonder how much this guy will change the complexion of the game, in terms of his playmaking ability etc.

I'm confident in our defense with the playmakers we have, as well as Shoop handling the Xs and Os. However, talented DT QBs always give me heartburn. Not only that, this will be our first big test on a VERY big stage.

Based on VT's defensive production last year, I don't think our O will have any problems scoring points. My fear is that this one becomes a high-scoring shootout, similar to the first half of the Bowling Green game last season where our secondary kept getting torched...

What say ye, VN ?? Should we be worried ?

I don't think "worried" is the correct term...."very aware" is better suited. The Vols practice with a duel-threat QB every day. The only difference in the 2 IMO is that Evans appears to possibly be a better passer..and that's just based off of JUCO statistics last year. D1 football is a lot different then JUCO. Regardless of the unbelievable numbers Evans put up last year in only 8 games, I don't think those types of performances translates to SEC / ACC football. The defenses are much, much better.

I believe Evans was the right pick for the job, and contrary to what others have stated on here, Fuente waited to name a starter to bring the 2 other guys along. I know this for fact! Evans was and is the better QB.

I think Evans will be a very successful QB this year. However to expect him to be at "the top of his game" on the 2nd week of the season, well that's just not gonna happen.

VT will be a "better" team this year, defensively and offensively and they have much to prove to everyone, including their fans. They have several playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, again contrary to what the media says. The defense will also be better as they are more experienced and have not had to shuffle around because of injuries. I expect a close hard fought game in Bristol that will probably end up in favor of the Vols.

I'm pretty sure V-Techs defense was one reason they sucked so bad the last few years. Funete didn't ever hire a new DC. He kept Bud Foster.

They lost most of their productive DTs, if I'm not mistaken.

And their LBs are horrible, even according to their own fans.

Now, couple that with facing one of, if not the, best RB tandems in the SEC? Good luck.

If UT fans want to worry or be concearned about this guy, by all means go ahead. I would think about the look on Barnett, Vereen, Kmac, Kongbo, JRM, DKjr, etc faces if you asked them if they are worried.

I know they will be prepared but I'd bet you after facing one of THE best dual threat QB's everyday in practice and with almost all of them experienced playing against the best of the best in live big games that none of them are "worried" and they are the ones playing the game.

That dude had BETTER be worried about UT's aggressive D scu-rate up baptizing his azz with authority many many times!

They lost most of their productive DTs, if I'm not mistaken.

And their LBs are horrible, even according to their own fans.

Now, couple that with facing one of, if not the, best RB tandems in the SEC? Good luck.

They did lose 3 starters..but those 3 did not play that good last year.

Yes LB play is the concern this year. Good athletes but bad decisions in filling their gaps. Edmunds will be new to the LB corp and he is the real deal.

Thanks for the Good Luck:)

I think keeping Bud around was a good move. True, lately the VT D has not been as strong as years past. But, the VT D has outplayed the VT O in most games. I think Foster relied way too much on man coverage. Historically, they have had better cover corners, and lately, they just haven't had the personnel (at least not healthy) for their scheme. Supposedly, they are trying to adapt. We'll see... I agree with most and think we win this one in the trenches. They have some skilled players, including Evans, so I think they will keep things close.

Numbers dont lie and you might be right. We don't have the same defensive scheme as last year and we have better players. I give us a shot against anyone in the country. With that said there are levels in juco. They don't all play world beaters every week.

VN Store

Back