Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

I can think of 2 others rather quickly. Urban and Dabo

Dabo took 7 years to get Clemson to the championship and 8 to win it. After going 9-5 in his first full year he went 6-7. Volnation would have had a complete meltdown. Imagine paying 10 million for that. I think he is a great coach but not a 10 million per year coach.
Urban is not worth 10 million per year either IMO. Any coach that makes it to the playoffs and manages to score zero points when his offense is the bread and butter is not going to give you a return on 10 million. He should be highly paid but not that highly paid.
If Tennessee pays 10 million per year it better be for a coach that can get us to Atlanta in year one and be a top 5 team every year moving forward along with consistently landing top 5 recruiting classes. Those are lofty expectations but for that price it would have to be the expectation. There is no other way to justify 10 million.

Guy turned down the Colts job this year.

That's a great...great opportunity.

He clearly isn't interested in coaching again.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Gruden was not only offered the Colts job (and they don't even have an opening) but he was also offered the 49ers and Rams jobs with LA offering between $9-10 million per year. The reason given for his lack of interest were restrictions that currently exist in the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement that place restrictions on off-season workouts and training. It's safe to say that he's not going to coach again and just as safe to say that college would have never appealed to him in the first place.

Some of the silliest ship I've ever read in the football forum is in this thread. On this page.

10 million would probably be a little much for someone who hasn't coached college in a while, but to suggest that Gruden would be worse than Butch....lol.

Imagine the staff he could assemble.

Reactions: 1 person
10 million would probably be a little much for someone who hasn't coached college in a while, but to suggest that Gruden would be worse than Butch....lol.

$10 million is also a lot of money for an NFL coach who was just 45-51 in his last 6 seasons (from '03-'08) with zero playoff victories despite having a defense full of perennial Pro Bowl players and one of the best DC's in the league (Monte). The reality is that Gruden was mediocre in Tampa after winning the Super Bowl. It is a little hard to understand why he is so coveted. It must have a lot to do with his charisma.

Two questions:

1. Which assistants would not be willing to join his staff; and
2. Which prospects would not want to play for him?

Answer to both is almost none. Making a hire at that level signifies a commitment to success that people take notice of. Plus, JG is a PR bonanza only he can do it by just being who he is and not having to resort to the sort of antagonistic stuff that Kiffin had to do.

Do I think we get him? Hell no. Do I think we should get him? Oh yeah.

Well that makes for a great 1 year plan.
What happens after that if it turns out the game has passed him up?
Maybe he would be great but not competing at the college level since before many of VN members were born?

We had better be certain because if he flopped, recruits and assistants would lose interest faster than they gained.
Then, all we would have to show is CFB's worst buyout and financial woes.

10 milli Is a little much for anyone. Imo. I'm not gonna argue that, actually I've pretty much "argued" enough.

I agree about the staff, and what about recruiting? I think he would be great at it even if he wasn't "Jon Gruden"

Anyone want to offer up what part of the college game Gruden is not better than Butch, Xs and Os, I think most people would give the slight edge to Gruden. But then there is recruiting, you never know how a guy that has only had a little success in the NFL would do trying to get these young recruits to come and play for a relative unknown, of course there is that pesky show he does on Monday night where they could have gotten to know him and he has spent some time on ESPN working with some of the best upcoming NFL QBs. Call me crazy but I think he would probably be able to grab a few good players. Then you have the problem he would have not wanting to hire quality assistants because he wants to prove he's the boss.

$10 million is also a lot of money for an NFL coach who was just 45-51 in his last 6 seasons (from '03-'08) with zero playoff victories despite having a defense full of perennial Pro Bowl players and one of the best DC's in the league (Monte). The reality is that Gruden was mediocre in Tampa after winning the Super Bowl. It is a little hard to understand why he is so coveted. It must have a lot to do with his charisma.

I'm not defending the man as an NFL head coach. He did win a Super Bowl, regardless of when Dungy left, but do you really think Gruden wouldn't be able to hire a championship staff?

I do, and I think they'd be able to more than make up for any of his shortcomings.

10 milli Is a little much for anyone. Imo. I'm not gonna argue that, actually I've pretty much "argued" enough.

I agree about the staff, and what about recruiting? I think he would be great at it even if he wasn't "Jon Gruden"

Agreed. It's all in his personality. Some coaches out there could probably get commitments from dead people.

I'm not defending the man as an NFL head coach. He did win a Super Bowl, regardless of when Dungy left, but do you really think Gruden wouldn't be able to hire a championship staff?

I do, and I think they'd be able to more than make up for any of his shortcomings.

I actually think it's easier to understand why a college team would covet him more than an NFL team. This is just a guess but I think he would put a great staff together and recruits would flock to him like they are with Harbaugh. I was just pointing out that after his first season in Tampa (2002), he was mediocre despite having a very good defense.

I actually think it's easier to understand why a college team would covet him more than an NFL team. This is just a guess but I think he would put a great staff together and recruits would flock to him like they are with Harbaugh. I was just pointing out that after his first season in Tampa (2002), he was mediocre despite having a very good defense.

Agreed

Gruden is a much better football coach than Butch. Gruden would put together a far better staff and would be superior to Butch in just about every conceivable way.

Just so you know, one of those "likes" for this post is mine.

:)

So not only are we gonna front the most money ever paid for a college coach, then we will add the salaries of the best championship staff.. no doubt, including their buyouts. (Unless all the best coaches just happened to be unemployed at once).

So about triple the money ever paid in college. Yep, sounds exactly like what UT loves to do. You guys are funny.

"We rich, b!tches!"

So not only are we gonna front the most money ever paid for a college coach, then we will add the salaries of the best championship staff.. no doubt, including their buyouts. (Unless all the best coaches just happened to be unemployed at once).

So about triple the money ever paid in college. Yep, sounds exactly like what UT loves to do. You guys are funny.

"We rich, b!tches!"

Too much logic. Not enough CAPS and poorly spelled words with out of place punctuation.

You're banned.

Last edited:

"We rich, b!tches!"

Who said any of this was actually going to happen?

Who said any of this was actually going to happen?

I think if I knew everything I needed to know about negotiating a contract with an ex NFL coach to head my college football program, I could make it happen. After we finished the bottle of Jagy and he woke up the next morning with a horse head, he'd do it for nothing.

I think if I knew everything I needed to know about negotiating a contract with an ex NFL coach to head my college football program, I could make it happen. After we finished the bottle of Jagy and he woke up the next morning with a horse head, he'd do it for nothing.

I like your style. That's old school!

VN Store

Back