Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

You're talking about why it would be a smart move, he is pointing out how absurd it is.

What's the problem?

How much did we pay Fulmer and Dooley to Not Coach? And, how much would we have paid Butch to Not Coach, if he'd been fired after the SC game, which many were very vocal about wanting to do?

Butch was close to winning the East this year, right up until......well, we all know, and with a Fl win in 2015 we would have been in Atlanta. In my opinion, Jon and his staff would have us over that hump and with a couple of recruiting classes, in the playoffs.

We all know it ain't happening, but it is kinda fun to talk about. A nice break from all the "factual" stuff. :blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Guess we'll never be able to settle this ole debate. People on both sides are hilarious. Gruden didn't do much in the NFL aside from win a Super Bowl (with someone else's roster). And Butch rode the coattail of Brian Kelly, got whooped head-to-head by Dooley and has proven to have a better W/L record than Dooley (yippee!).

I do not think Gruden will ever coach at UT but I don't think Gruden by himself would do well on a staff like Butch has assembled. He's simply a "name" at this point that has the potential to lose his luster at the first 9-3 season.

Guess we'll never be able to settle this ole debate. People on both sides are hilarious. Gruden didn't do much in the NFL aside from win a Super Bowl (with someone else's roster). And Butch rode the coattail of Brian Kelly, got whooped head-to-head by Dooley and has proven to have a better W/L record than Dooley (yippee!).

I do not think Gruden will ever coach at UT but I don't think Gruden by himself would do well on a staff like Butch has assembled. He's simply a "name" at this point that has the potential to lose his luster at the first 9-3 season.

1. Saying he "didn't do much but win a super bowl" is already kind of silly. And that wasn't 'Dungy's' team. It was just the team he kept failing with.
2. Gruden wouldn't assemble a staff like Butch. He may actually assemble the BSIA.

I'll take the guy who did what Dungy couldn't do over the guy riding Brian Kelly's coat tails.

In college? Yes he does.

Tell me the differences between college and the NFL that are so big and complicated, that an ex NFL super bowl winning Head coach couldn't handle it.

You keep saying he's never coached in college, its a huge difference. Where would he fail?

1. Saying he "didn't do much but win a super bowl" is already kind of silly. And that wasn't 'Dungy's' team. It was just the team he kept failing with.
2. Gruden wouldn't assemble a staff like Butch. He may actually assemble the BSIA.

I'll take the guy who did what Dungy couldn't do over the guy riding Brian Kelly's coat tails.

...but of course, that's always been a really stupid statement too. Brian Kelly never coached at Tennessee and Butch has spent very little time on his staff. Rich Rodriguez was much more influential in his career than Kelly.

...but of course, that's always been a really stupid statement too. Brian Kelly never coached at Tennessee and Butch has spent very little time on his staff. Rich Rodriguez was much more influential in his career than Kelly.

That's kind of the point.

It would have been nice to have seen Tennessee very publicly attempt to lure Gruden here. At least then it would have appeared that this program was serious about competing for championships. I am in the camp that believes given the resources Gruden would have been successful here. Top coordinators and position coaches would have been lined up to work on his staff. The Gruden name along with the names of his assistants would have done the recruiting for them, imo. Would he have had us where bama is right now? Probably not but I would bet we would have been to Atlanta by now and easily be the beast of the east with the gap between bama and Tennessee steadily closing.

Instead what we get is no serious effort to compete with the elite of the SEC. We seem to be content with hiring on the cheap and simply hoping it's enough to reach a bowl game. That's what really frustrates me. Tennessee doesn't even pretend to be seriously trying to build an elite program.

Just my opinion.

It would have been nice to have seen Tennessee very publicly attempt to lure Gruden here. At least then it would have appeared that this program was serious about competing for championships. I am in the camp that believes given the resources Gruden would have been successful here. Top coordinators and position coaches would have been lined up to work on his staff. The Gruden name along with the names of his assistants would have done the recruiting for them, imo. Would he have had us where bama is right now? Probably not but I would bet we would have been to Atlanta by now and easily be the beast of the east with the gap between bama and Tennessee steadily closing.

Instead what we get is no serious effort to compete with the elite of the SEC. We seem to be content with hiring on the cheap and simply hoping it's enough to reach a bowl game. That's what really frustrates me. Tennessee doesn't even pretend to be seriously trying to build an elite program.

Just my opinion.
Sadly you are right and I totally agree with you...It just appears that no matter who they hire people will come to the games regardless and pay the money to see UT football and they are content with that and if they fire a coach the fan base gets all excited thinking oh we are gonna hire a homerun type of coach and Gruden is gonna be the next coach and blah blah blah when in reality we aren't even looking at him or any other top tier coach...So we hire on the cheap, Give him a good presser and the fan base gets excited over joe blow hyped up coach until he starts to fail and the process starts all over again...Upsetting but true...Wish it were different.

Tell me the differences between college and the NFL that are so big and complicated, that an ex NFL super bowl winning Head coach couldn't handle it.

You keep saying he's never coached in college, its a huge difference. Where would he fail?

I have never said he would fail. All I am saying is that he has done nothing at the college level that suggests he would excel. Success in the NFL doesnt equate to success in college and vice versa. Look at Saban, he failed miserably in the NFL. Yet he rules in college.

I really

I have never said he would fail. All I am saying is that he has done nothing at the college level that suggests he would excel. Success in the NFL doesnt equate to success in college and vice versa. Look at Saban, he failed miserably in the NFL. Yet he rules in college.

I really

Who says success in one doesn't equate success in the other? Nick won an NC in college (LSU), then went to the NFL and failed. (Some say if he had a QB, he may not have failed "miserably") Now look at him. I can't say it made a difference, maybe if he had stayed at LSU they would be Alabama now. But, maybe his experience in the NFL gave him an "edge". Along the same thought, look at Spurrier at SC.

Funny you used Nick instead of Pete Carroll or Jimmy Johnson. That wasn't the question anyway.

What are the "challenges" an NFL coach with Gruden's resume and overall experience and knowledge of Football in general, would have to overcome to be successful in college football?

VN Store

Back