Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

Would Chucky have a Jim Harbaugh type of effect in Knoxville? I would be so pumped that I would fly from CA at least twice a year for games. I wish we would schedule Cal & UCLA again.

Look guys, it's real simple. The "legend" of Jon Gruden is worth much more than the "actual" Jon Gruden. No way he gets back into coaching....because he could never live up to the legend.

The annual Gruden to Tennessee fantasy thread.

Gruden makes $6.5 million with his relatively easy job at ESPN. I'm sure Gruden relishes the thought of having UT fans bash him and his wife on message boards after every loss and after every mediocre season. The same reason Peyton will never coach at UT.

The annual Gruden to Tennessee fantasy thread.

Gruden makes $6.5 million with his relatively easy job at ESPN. I'm sure Gruden relishes the thought of having UT fans bash him and his wife on message boards after every loss and after every mediocre season. The same reason Peyton will never coach at UT.

There would be no mediocre seasons with either of those at the helm.

Would Chucky have a Jim Harbaugh type of effect in Knoxville? I would be so pumped that I would fly from CA at least twice a year for games. I wish we would schedule Cal & UCLA again.

Yes. Tennessee would vault into the top 5 in every aspect within a year of his hiring.

Fatcat UT boosters would come up with the money quick to pay gruden whatever he wanted, including a huge mansion and giant house on the lake like saban has.

Why not pay Saban 15M to come to UT? It's other peoples money we are speaking about anyway......donate today.............

Fatcat UT boosters would come up with the money quick to pay gruden whatever he wanted, including a huge mansion and giant house on the lake like saban has.

Our fat cat boosters would rather own a failing NFL franchise. Their money though. Just wish we had Bama's.

Lots of people on here think 10 million a year is a good idea because of an NFL championship coach. The reward could be great if SEC championships happened but if things didn't work out the program would be next to dead. Attendence would fall again, merchandise sales would fall again, reserves would drop back to bottom levels in the SEC. Way too much risk IMO.

If you were going to pay 10 million then you need a proven college coach. Even then I am not sure any college coach not named Saban would get results worth 10 million per year.

Lots of people on here think 10 million a year is a good idea because of an NFL championship coach. The reward could be great if SEC championships happened but if things didn't work out the program would be next to dead. Attendence would fall again, merchandise sales would fall again, reserves would drop back to bottom levels in the SEC. Way too much risk IMO.

If you were going to pay 10 million then you need a proven college coach. Even then I am not sure any college coach not named Saban would get results worth 10 million per year.

I can think of 2 others rather quickly. Urban and Dabo

Would he have a Harbaugh effect? There is absolutely no proof that he would. Why? Because Gruden has done absolutely nothing at the college level. Harbaugh had success in college and the NFL. I would be much more pumped to get Meyer, Dabo, Saban or Harbaugh than Gruden.

There would be no mediocre seasons with either of those at the helm.

Witch Doctor say in the immortal words of Aerosmith....

dream on...dream on...dream on....

Besides he dont want it, UT Admin would never pay it. Nice dream though..

Bones Never Lie.

Guy turned down the Colts job this year.

That's a great...great opportunity.

He clearly isn't interested in coaching again.

Gruden spent 4 years in the college game as a GA and position coach nearly 30 years ago. He's been out of coaching for 8 years. Why people continue to think he would be some savior is beyond me.

It's even funnier when people question Gruden's ability to win but say Butch just needs more time.

Reactions: 2 people
Not really. Gruden has never won anything as a HC in college. Butch is actually a much better college football coach than Gruden.

Gruden is a much better football coach than Butch. Gruden would put together a far better staff and would be superior to Butch in just about every conceivable way.

Reactions: 4 people
Gruden is a much better football coach than Butch. Gruden would put together a far better staff and would be superior to Butch in just about every conceivable way.

Offer the proof that says Gruden is a better college football coach than Butch.

VN Store

Back