Strongly encouraged

Y'all would be so mad though. Would you eat your crow?

"Y'all " who?

"Eat crow" for what?

What am I missing?

Never mind. It would help if you followed the conversation between me, Wylo and Fade.

Also, I'm trying to get along and not jump to conclusions like I have before and many do. I read those posts without the intended sarcasm. To make me happy this next season, Butch needs to win the East and beat Muschamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
"Y'all " who?

"Eat crow" for what?

What am I missing?

You said you liked both of their quotes so I was under the impression you were not a fan of Butch either.

I am basically calling all Butch haters, if he wins an SEC or Natty, will they eat their crow?

I see now. You said you get tired of these types of "digs" and I thought you were talking about my Butch slap comment. But you were talking about wylo and fade digs against Butch?

with what Butch and company have accomplished since the vandy loss. Recruiting took a step forward with Trey Smith, has now stabilized and the bowl game was won convincingly against a quality opponent. However, what I am most impressed with is the quality of young men Butch is recruiting. When you read up on commits like Cheyenne L., Trey S., Ty C., Ryan T., Kivon B., Maleik G., Seth W., Riley L., Deandre J., Solon P. it is obvious Butch really does have a recruiting profile he follows. While no one is perfect, the commits I’ve been able to read up on seem like high character, high quality young men that will give their all for TN, represent the university and their families with class and win championships, both life and football. Players like Josh D. and Derek B.

It looks to me like Butch is growing, making the difficult changes when necessary and he is rebuilding TN football. Three straight bowl wins and back to back 9 win seasons. We are moving in the right direction!

And, let’s not forget Butch and company ended the streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWZ358yiD4

GO VOLS!!!

Great post!

You said you liked both of their quotes so I was under the impression you were not a fan of Butch either.

I am basically calling all Butch haters, if he wins an SEC or Natty, will they eat their crow?

I don't hate Jones and neither does the majority of his critics here on VN. If by eating crow you mean admit that I am wrong, I will gladly do it. Hell, I've been begging the man to prove me wrong since he's been here.

Reactions: 2 people
First of all Mr. Waylo, calling people ignorant because they have a different opinion than you is, well, ignorant. I'm not sure that not meeting expectations due to an abundance of negatives happening in your program (injuries, coaches quarrel and self centered RB) would be considered underachieving. I still believe in CBJ and the Tennessee football program and think they can turn it around in 2017. If not, I'll jump on the Nega train with you and together we'll make sure we run Ole coach Jones right outta Ktown.

I've never once claimed to not be ignorant. So, you got me.

But we see it differently. 4 years of mistakes is plenty of time to board the Nega mobile and ride it to Butch's firing.

Examine every game. Every mistake. Every bit of drama.

I don't judge Butch on strictly wins and losses. He's done almost as much stupid stuff in the wins as he has the losses. He's done good things in the losses. My problem is that he shows every Saturday that this job is out of his league.

That's my problem. It isn't just the black and white of wins/losses. I think he sucks in the gray area too.

Strictly my opinion.

Y'all would be so mad though. Would you eat your crow?

I will start this by saying that I say many dumb things on here. Many. Glad to admit it.

With that said; this is about the dumbest rubbish I've read since last time reader showed up or D4H's abandoning of the team.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, would be unhappy with an SEC or national title. Even hinting at that is incredibly dumb.

I hate Butch as much as probably any other vol fan here, and I'd gladly admit how stupid I was for doubting the brick laying.

I get what you're trying to point out. You're just taking it a bit far.

But just for balance, I'd bet that there would be people like you saying this same stuff if Butch went 0-12. Trust the process.

I've never once claimed to not be ignorant. So, you got me.

But we see it differently. 4 years of mistakes is plenty of time to board the Nega mobile and ride it to Butch's firing.

Examine every game. Every mistake. Every bit of drama.

I don't judge Butch on strictly wins and losses. He's done almost as much stupid stuff in the wins as he has the losses. He's done good things in the losses. My problem is that he shows every Saturday that this job is out of his league.

That's my problem. It isn't just the black and white of wins/losses. I think he sucks in the gray area too.

Strictly my opinion.
Here's what I love and respect about Butch Jones. He took over a prominent SEC program that had been run into the ground and improved it as far as caliber of players, coaching staff, putting the "student" back in student athlete, getting VFL's involved , bowl appearances and wins. Is he perfect, NO. He is a mid major coach who stood his neck out and took a job that many prominent coaches that we sought after would not take. There is absolutely no doubt that this man loves the University of Tennessee and did not take the job in order to use it as a stepping stone. For this, I personally think he has earned a mulligan for the disappointments incurred this year. Whether it was injuries, discontent within the team or just plain dumb decision making I'll ride with him at least one more year and see how he responds to the shortcomings. Totally just my opinion.

Reactions: 5 people
Here's what I love and respect about Butch Jones. He took over a prominent SEC program that had been run into the ground and improved it as far as caliber of players, coaching staff, putting the "student" back in student athlete, getting VFL's involved , bowl appearances and wins. Is he perfect, NO. He is a mid major coach who stood his neck out and took a job that many prominent coaches that we sought after would not take. There is absolutely no doubt that this man loves the University of Tennessee and did not take the job in order to use it as a stepping stone. For this, I personally think he has earned a mulligan for the disappointments incurred this year. Whether it was injuries, discontent within the team or just plain dumb decision making I'll ride with him at least one more year and see how he responds to the shortcomings. Totally just my opinion.

You have got to be kidding, right?

Butch Jones is a mid level coach that has no business running this SEC program. He took this job because of the money and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for him as a lower conference dwelling coach.

He only has this job because the idiots running Tennessee are worse at their jobs then he is. They've butchered every opportunity since 2008 and show no signs of letting up.

Butch doesn't love Tennessee. If he did he wouldn't be running for a raise after completely underachieving this season. Butch loves Butch.

I'll absolutely be glad when he's gone.

Edit: I'll admit that he has done some good things while in Knoxville. But you're using the worst coach in Tennessee history(Dooley) as a measuring stick. Let's not pretend that Butch is doing something unheard of.

I like the VFL inclusion, the grades going up, the community service. These things shouldn't be what a highly paid SEC coach has to hang his hat on. These are things that he should be doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You have got to be kidding, right?

Butch Jones is a mid level coach that has no business running this SEC program. He took this job because of the money and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for him as a lower conference dwelling coach.

He only has this job because the idiots running Tennessee are worse at their jobs then he is. They've butchered every opportunity since 2008 and show no signs of letting up.

Butch doesn't love Tennessee. If he did he wouldn't be running for a raise after completely underachieving this season. Butch loves Butch.

I'll absolutely be glad when he's gone.

Edit: I'll admit that he has done some good things while in Knoxville. But you're using the worst coach in Tennessee history(Dooley) as a measuring stick. Let's not pretend that Butch is doing something unheard of.

I like the VFL inclusion, the grades going up, the community service. These things shouldn't be what a highly paid SEC coach has to hang his hat on. These are things that he should be doing.
This program was screwed well before Dooley so I wasn't using his sorry regime as a measuring stick for Jones. I sense alot of hatred for this program from you so not sure if Saban could satisfy your expectations. Just remember, nobody wanted this job when Butch took it. Blame the.administration all you want ( cause you most likely don't know what you're blaming them for) but it is a fact he was what we had to settle for and I still think he'll build the program back. If Jones bolted right now, would the program be better in 2017?

This program was screwed well before Dooley so I wasn't using his sorry regime as a measuring stick for Jones. I sense alot of hatred for this program from you so not sure if Saban could satisfy your expectations. Just remember, nobody wanted this job when Butch took it. Blame the.administration all you want ( cause you most likely don't know what you're blaming them for) but it is a fact he was what we had to settle for and I still think he'll build the program back. If Jones bolted right now, would the program be better in 2017?

The old Saban trick. Nice. I'd gladly dump Tennessee for Alabama if I could find a way to do that without vomiting and burning anything and everything I hold dear in fandom.

Wanting Tennessee to be good has nothing to do with rooting for rival schools.

This program wasn't screwed before Dooley. It was not healthy like it should be, but wasn't screwed.

Dooley took care of that.

Nobody wanted this job because of the people running the ship. You're kidding yourself if you even attempt to think otherwise.

Tennessee ran a piss-poor search and got what they were willing to pay for. Butch was smart enough to con his way here. Good for him. It's more obvious every year. He'll be gone sooner than later. Enjoy it while you can.

The old Saban trick. Nice. I'd gladly dump Tennessee for Alabama if I could find a way to do that without vomiting and burning anything and everything I hold dear in fandom.

Wanting Tennessee to be good has nothing to do with rooting for rival schools.

This program wasn't screwed before Dooley. It was not healthy like it should be, but wasn't screwed.

Dooley took care of that.

Nobody wanted this job because of the people running the ship. You're kidding yourself if you even attempt to think otherwise.

Tennessee ran a piss-poor search and got what they were willing to pay for. Butch was smart enough to con his way here. Good for him. It's more obvious every year. He'll be gone sooner than later. Enjoy it while you can.
So Lane Kiffen didn't screw the program up while he was here huh and CPF got fired because he was doing a great job. Take your blinders off Waylo. You obviously work on the inside to have all the intell that you possess or your just making s... up to justify your stance on Jones. He may be gone sooner than later, you nor I have no idea on that. It'll be interesting to see who's the next whipping post coming in.

and................. Preston Williams

and..................Jalen Hurd

Dandre Payne
Daniel Bryant
Chris Weatherd
Charles Mosley

Jalen Hurd was and is an excellent power running back. Had he been born in 1981-1984 and come to Tennessee I believe his numbers (ypc) would've been much more impressive. I don't know what line Butch sold him on, but Stevie Wonder could see Hurd is not the ideal RB for CBJ's offensive style. His character is questionable obviously but he's still a quality back.

Definitely not a hater and will GLADLY eat crow if he proves my opinion of his coaching ability wrong....

I'll eat crow with mayonnaise on it and mayo is the NASTIEST substance on the planet... IMO.. :)

If this class finishes in the 12-15 range (which some think it will) thats gonna put Jones after his best 2 seasons here recruiting on a Dooley level his last 2 years.
That's acceptable when you consider we're adding depth that's decent in most positions. I'd like to see 1 more RB since we lost the kid from Okla. and a quality DT like Conliffe come aboard. UT should upgrade in S&C and hopefully the DB play improves as well. IF the QB transition goes well and DL play improves along with the above other 2 improvements UT could be in good shape with team 121. A lot of players got plenty of reps this past season and at least 9 wins isn't that much of a reach IMO. We should have a strong-armed downfield passer to add to the mix in 2017. I'm pleased with the new hires and could accept Scott as OC but still don't like the OL coach.Richmond should have been ready by Appy St. game and clearly wasn't. The UT coaches seem to have a problem evaluating how a player will perform in a game based on how a player practices. Leaders need to step up and KMac is vocal along with TKJr and DKjr need to lead our defense. I foresee coach Shoop surprising us all with players ability to play several positions as well as executing his schemes at a higher level. No "hype-train" prior to 1st game is needed either IMO.

If this class finishes in the 12-15 range (which some think it will) thats gonna put Jones after his best 2 seasons here recruiting on a Dooley level his last 2 years.

The sad thing is the worst Dooley class only averaged 63% of its players with a 3* or lower

This year Butch is at 81%

Terrible

Reactions: 7 people
That's acceptable when you consider we're adding depth that's decent in most positions. I'd like to see 1 more RB since we lost the kid from Okla. and a quality DT like Conliffe come aboard. UT should upgrade in S&C and hopefully the DB play improves as well. IF the QB transition goes well and DL play improves along with the above other 2 improvements UT could be in good shape with team 121. A lot of players got plenty of reps this past season and at least 9 wins isn't that much of a reach IMO. We should have a strong-armed downfield passer to add to the mix in 2017. I'm pleased with the new hires and could accept Scott as OC but still don't like the OL coach.Richmond should have been ready by Appy St. game and clearly wasn't. The UT coaches seem to have a problem evaluating how a player will perform in a game based on how a player practices. Leaders need to step up and KMac is vocal along with TKJr and DKjr need to lead our defense. I foresee coach Shoop surprising us all with players ability to play several positions as well as executing his schemes at a higher level. No "hype-train" prior to 1st game is needed either IMO.

I agree with some of that. I think in a couple years we will be questioning whether this team has enough talent to compete for championships based off these last 2 classes Jones will have signed which should be the cornerstone of that team.

It's funny how easily the actual on field choke jobs are forgotten. Butch blew the SEC east and then was handed the sugar bowl and blew that too.

Butch will get the hype train rolling and then the same thing or worse will happen next season.

Prepare to be "encouraged" by the mid level bowl results again next season.

People like you that don't understand the impact of having 15 players out injured and its effect is mind bending. Do you even understand the basic concept of fielding a team?

People like you that don't understand the impact of having 15 players out injured and its effect is mind bending. Do you even understand the basic concept of fielding a team?

Injuries didn't cause SC and Vandy. Butch Jones chokes every year. Keep telling yourself all those things to keep the faith in saint Butch.

It's amazing how fast people are willing to forgive and forget. I'm fine with having to agree to disagree, it's what makes discussion important, but very few of things you listed have me encouraged. I know most will just instantly label me a nega-Vol, because it's easy to do so, but below is my perspective on how I am feeling after the end of last season.

From an alternate perspective, this is how I view the trajectory we have taken since the bye. We are 4-4 with losses to some terrible teams such as USC and Vandy, who both got smacked around in their bowl games by mediocre opponents. We are two weeks from signing day, and so far we have no AD, no OC, and a potentially unexciting (IMO) selection for QB coach.

No doubt that signing Trey Smith was HUGE, and I am very happy with that, but the rest of our recruiting has taken a serious downturn this season with very few players that have me pumped (such as Chandler, Smith, Grey). The rest are projects, and it still stings to lose out on some players (in-state and legacy) who just a year ago were predicted to be virtual TN locks (Higgins, Gibbs).

I am 100% in support of recruiting quality young men that represent the university well, so don't get me wrong in that aspect. I am encouraged by the way they handle themselves. But I can also be concerned with the fact that under Butch we seem to be headed towards a perpetual 8-4/9-3 regular season. He just doesn't seem like a good on the field coach, and because of that, our recruiting is beginning to suffer. I'm just fed up. We are getting beat out by McElwain who has a handicapped offense two years in a row. Not sure how people are so happy with where we are going. The whole "bowl game" measurement stick is tired.

Here's what I love and respect about Butch Jones. He took over a prominent SEC program that had been run into the ground
He is a mid major coach who stood his neck out and took a job that many prominent coaches that we sought after would not take. There is absolutely no doubt that this man loves the University of Tennessee and did not take the job in order to use it as a stepping stone.

He set himself up pretty well financially by making the move so its not like he took a step back to come here. He's here because we hired Dooley and he was able to sell early, not just to recruits but fans. He doesn't get a sniff at this job if he's following a coach that retired or left to be an NFL coach after success. So in that sense you are correct, this is not a stepping stone for him. Its the last stone.

I would feel better about this if there was some evidence that the staff could develop talent but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Bingo......3 stars are not bad if u can Devolpe them but Butch & company have a hard time doing that".not gonna win Bigtime in the SEC with the majority of you're recruits being 3 star!

VN Store

Back