Game Thread Lady Vols vs Mississippi State

Not as ugly as Notre Dame, but a lot of adjustments need to be made to compete in the tournament.. know we are young but lack of offensive rebounding and forcing shots should not be happening with any team that has this many talented players!! Still love my Lady Vols , hoping they address these problems before there next game!😬

You are right about adjustments. I have zero confidence that Holly can. History keeps repeating itself

Reactions: 1 person
Jaime started the season hitting an amazing close to 50 percent a game and the last ten game about 28 percent. She takes a lot of shots has to make more than two or three.

Jaime started the season hitting an amazing close to 50 percent a game and the last ten game about 28 percent. She takes a lot of shots has to make more than two or three.

I have no problems for any shot she takes that is not going into traffic with 4 players hanging on her

Watching those highlights, what the hell is MR doing on defense? She's not in rebounding position and doesn't hold her ground in the paint. That drive by 5'7 Johnson where she missed with contact by Russell, but basically cleared her off the court, grabbed her own miss, and scored? What was that??? so

Most of the games left we will be the favorite. Still should win 24 or more. That is better than I thought we would do. The freshmen have had a good year they will be so much better next season. Who do we get to replace Mercedes will be the question. I think we can replace Jaime without much loss in performance.

Reactions: 3 people
Watching those highlights, what the hell is MR doing on defense? She's not in rebounding position and doesn't hold her ground in the paint. That drive by 5'7 Johnson where she missed with contact by Russell, but basically cleared her off the court, grabbed her own miss, and scored? What was that??? so

I've never seen anything like it. She is the least aggressive big person I have ever seen play the game.

Is Mercedes going to be able run a lot faster and jump a lot higher by draft time?

Maybe not, but I doubt many teams wouldn't want to have a player with her skillset on the bench. She'll also benefit from better (any?) coaching.

This exactly!

I agree 0-4 And make no mistake with Holly playing Westbrook at the point and it`s starting to show is not the Answer. Westbrook needs to work on hitting her jump shots and move to the 2, Hayes can get into the lane but 9 out of 10 time she will make a bad pass and turn it over. So it`s a must that she a Westbrook work on there shooting. Holly is clueless not to see this.

As McCowan gets her 16th rebound I was struck by the replay because Miss St. best rebounder is standing right next to the hoop. Meanwhile Russell was 35ft form the basket? Weird spacing late in this one.

This is a sign of coaching incompetence. Holly likes to switch on defense so she basically allows the offense to determine where we put our post. It really hurt us several times in this game where Russell was way out on the perimeter "guarding" someone who could blow by her like she's not even there while the other team gets a rebound under the basket.

We might as well just ask the other team how they would like us to match up on defense with them.

Reactions: 2 people
Russell will be a good scorer in the WNBA but she cannot play defense very well and has no athleticism. She will probably be a backup for someone unless she goes to a very bad team then she will get a lot of playing time.

Most of the games left we will be the favorite. Still should win 24 or more. That is better than I thought we would do. The freshmen have had a good year they will be so much better next season. Who do we get to replace Mercedes will be the question. I think we can replace Jaime without much loss in performance.

Jaime Nared. 2018 version of Diamond Deshields.

Rennia Davis. 2019 version of Jaime Nared.

It's not the players...

I'm all in on the Free Kortney movement now. We need offense and we need it bad. It's not like she's a bigger liability on defense than what we have now. Greene needs to see more than 10 mins a game, especially since we've been struggling on the glass and Russell's out of gas by the fourth quarter.

I thought the defense was ok today they only shot 41 percent but got 14 more shots than we did because of 18 second chance points. We stop their 18 second chance points this is a very close game even though we shot 37 percent.

I'm all in on the Free Kortney movement now. We need offense and we need it bad. It's not like she's a bigger liability on defense than what we have now. Greene needs to see more than 10 mins a game, especially since we've been struggling on the glass and Russell's out of gas by the fourth quarter.

Green was useless in this game. Out of her league. If she hadn't picked up two quick fouls, Vivians would have abused her.

Jamie has this tendency to go into a Deshield mode where
She think she can take over a game and often muck it up.
Please remind her there are four other team mates on the court.
Bench her during the final minutes and there may be different
result.
She got burned by VV.
Holly work on schemes to get MR the ball.

Green was useless in this game. Out of her league. If she hadn't picked up two quick fouls, Vivians would have abused her.

Vivians abused everybody this game especially MeMe. She was still getting everything she wanted. I wouldnt put any blame on Greene. I would put it on the coaching, because they had the team switching everything when they didn't need to.

Jaime Nared. 2018 version of Diamond Deshields.

Rennia Davis. 2019 version of Jaime Nared.

It's not the players...

Who is it Holly how many shots she make today. I agree we could be better coached no reason for them to get 17 offensive rebounds and 18 second chance points.

VN Store

Back