Game Thread Lady Vols vs Mississippi State

Who is it Holly how many shots she make today. I agree we could be better coached no reason for them to get 17 offensive rebounds and 18 second chance points.

When the same thing happens every season and a different player is blamed every year, it's because they play for a coach who can't reign them in.

I look forward to reading the Rennia Davis hate on Volnation next season.

Reactions: 2 people
Russell will be a good scorer in the WNBA but she cannot play defense very well and has no athleticism. She will probably be a backup for someone unless she goes to a very bad team then she will get a lot of playing time.

wont even get drafted imo

Reactions: 1 person
We still haven't learned to box out. Everybody still ball watches when the shot is put up. They start panicking easily when teams take Russell away. You don't see anyone cutting or any double screens. They could've move Mercedes up off the block and have some one running baseline since all the attention is being paid the Cedes with the double or triple team.

When the same thing happens every season and a different player is blamed every year, it's because they play for a coach who can't reign them in.

I look forward to reading the Rennia Davis hate on Volnation next season.

I agree Holly is a weak coach and loses control of her team. When we play someone that can actually play defense this is what happens. I am assuming that the Assistants aren't much either as they coach the different groups and don't seem to have much control of the players they coach either.

Right now in the mock draft Russell is going in the first round around number 7 so expect she will definitely go somewhere in the first round.

I agree Holly is a weak coach and loses control of her team. When we play someone that can actually play defense this is what happens. I am assuming that the Assistants aren't much either as they coach the different groups and don't seem to have much control of the players they coach either.

It's probably the head coaches, assistant coaches and system. At some point, we can't blame the players when the same thing happens year after year no matter who the players are.

Reactions: 2 people
It's probably the head coaches, assistant coaches and system. At some point, we can't blame the players when the same thing happens year after year no matter who the players are.

the assistants have come and gone and the only consistent is the head ball coach

Reactions: 5 people
I don't know where Nared's head is lately. She is shooting quick jumpers before the rest of the team is down the floor. She is not passing the ball anymore. We were playing well when we were passing the ball.

I think offensively Russell is an excellent player defensively she may be the worst 6'6" person that ever played. If any of our players get beat to the basket she has nothing to offer as a backup defender. If anyone remembers Parker most of that stuff the state players were putting up today wouldn't have ever seen the rim.

It's crippling the guards. That's why when Annie gets into the lane and is open she opts to pass to Cedes instead of shooting.

I'm all in on the Free Kortney movement now. We need offense and we need it bad. It's not like she's a bigger liability on defense than what we have now. Greene needs to see more than 10 mins a game, especially since we've been struggling on the glass and Russell's out of gas by the fourth quarter.

Prior to this game Tennessee was averaging 82PPG vs ranked opponents and giving up 78PPG to ranked opponents. The defense has got to get better. The hard part is they are so young and they will be even younger next year. Lay the foundation of taking care of the ball and playing good defense for 40 minutes this year. That spread is way too tight... just 5 points. This team is resilient going 15 straight before losing with such a tight spread and turning the ball over so much. They just need to work on the fundamentals & the details of end of game tactics, they obviously have the talent.

I don't know where Nared's head is lately. She is shooting quick jumpers before the rest of the team is down the floor. She is not passing the ball anymore. We were playing well when we were passing the ball.

Lacks confidence in her jumper, and she's forcing things to the point that she's playing recklessly. The refs weren't giving her bailout calls like they have all season. Take her FTs away and she would have even more mediocre stats.

We were soundly beaten today Miss St is as good as anybody in the country. I think we have the talent to play them a game if we knew how. We had no clue today.
I'm not letting Vivians get those one on one possession after possession when she makes the catch I am trapping her with two players she can give it up or try to take the double team.

Holly seems to be under the illusion that all her players can guard one on one they can't we may have to double team their best drivers and take our chances that one of their other players miss a shot.

We were soundly beaten today Miss St is as good as anybody in the country. I think we have the talent to play them a game if we knew how. We had no clue today.
I'm not letting Vivians get those one on one possession after possession when she makes the catch I am trapping her with two players she can give it up or try to take the double team.

Thet tried trapping a couple times but Miss St. understands spacing where the LV do not. It left someone wide open either on the opposite wing or directly under the basket as the trap was so far out that MR was forced to the top of the key. Plus Miss has very capable ball handlers as the LV saw all night long as they drove right past them.

The problems is Vivians is smart enough to pass out of those double teams and MSST guards will make them pay for leaving them open.

Jackson and Nared have the speed and athleticism to not let Vivians have her way with them. They need to play her smarter.

Thet tried trapping a couple times but Miss St. understands spacing where the LV do not. It left someone wide open either on the opposite wing or directly under the basket as the trap was so far out that MR was forced to the top of the key.

Trapping against MSST will end badly 19 out of 20 times. Their guards can break it with ease. Very solid fundamentals.

And can pass to the open shooter. I think their spacing looks very different next year with those shooters gone.

They will also be huge next year with those freshmen coming in. I expect them to be even more of a post oriented team next year. Depending on how their young guards develop, they might still be pretty good next year.

Trapping against MSST will end badly 19 out of 20 times. Their guards can break it with ease. Very solid fundamentals.

I think thats why I saw them only do it twice. They are way too experienced and have the right personel to beat that.

VN Store

Back