Game Thread Lady Vols vs Mississippi State

Charlie Creme is projecting the LVs to fall to #11 and a 3 seed. Given the nature of their losses, that's not all that surprising. The LVs are showing a lack of composure and toughness and it raises real questions about their ability to win big games against stiff competition. They have a clear path to finish strong and could win out... but they could just as easily drop four more to finish 22-7. Hard to guess how they'll respond.

Just looking at the ratings coming out of high school... There girls verses ours!

# 24. Vivians
# 45. McCowan
#49. Johnson

3 star. Morgan
3 star. Schaefer

#1 Mercedes
#6 Nared
#2 Evina
#9 Hayes
#12 Davis

Differences= Age and coaches because rankings obviously don’t matter much???? Just saying

Reactions: 2 people
Right now I think this team may get to 24 and 5 and 12 and 4 in the SEC which will be an improvement over last season. Right now I don't know what is going on with Nared she is totally out of control throwing up some shots that have little chance to go in. In SEC play she is shooting 30 percent and about 20 percent from the three.
The difference in our defense and theirs is that they collapse on a driver with two or three players. We let our defense play their driver one on one and never have any help come over. Three or four times when Vivians drove to the basket on Nared Russell had he back to the play looking at her man.

Reactions: 1 person
Plus I will say it wonder if this team is regressing into last years team. I see a lot of the same terrible play. I don't know if it is Holly and the staff but were no where as good a team as we were the first ten games of the season. Seems they have taken Annie totally out of her game and Westbrook and Davis look a lot less certain of what they are supposed to do than they did when the season started. Davis looked like a 20 ppg player now she looks like she isn't certain what her role is. Definitely not enough shots for Westbrook or Davis both are outshooting Jackson and Nared by a huge margin yet their shots are limited or Davis refuses the 10 footer and tries to make it a two footer.
To much passing going on when you got a ten footer take it don't try to pass to someone under the goal take the freaking shots. Annie and Davis are now passing and even Westbrook does several times when she already has the good shot.

Volfan, that falls on Holly....She says she wants great shots, not good shots....Thus the player passes up the open 12 footer to try and force the ball inside for a lay up....This often results in a turnover, but Holly is happy they did not take the good shot, but lost the ball trying for a great shot.

Flying monkeys attack now...

Plus I will say it wonder if this team is regressing into last years team. I see a lot of the same terrible play. I don't know if it is Holly and the staff but were no where as good a team as we were the first ten games of the season. Seems they have taken Annie totally out of her game and Westbrook and Davis look a lot less certain of what they are supposed to do than they did when the season started. Davis looked like a 20 ppg player now she looks like she isn't certain what her role is. Definitely not enough shots for Westbrook or Davis both are outshooting Jackson and Nared by a huge margin yet their shots are limited or Davis refuses the 10 footer and tries to make it a two footer.
To much passing going on when you got a ten footer take it don't try to pass to someone under the goal take the freaking shots. Annie and Davis are now passing and even Westbrook does several times when she already has the good shot.
IMO they look to Nared for direction and when she is not good they haven't been able to get over the hump. In that case I think Russell should try and take over, get herself free and demand the ball but she doesn't .

First of all i keep saying Westbrook is not a point and it was on display yesterday. Westbrook needs to really work on her outside shooting it would help the team big time. As for Hayes i will fault Holly and the staff on Hayes in ability to even look at the rim. Teams are giving Hayes the outside shot and she just refused to take it. To make it worst she gets into the lane and has a wide open shot and what do she do try and pass the ball.

Volfan, that falls on Holly....She says she wants great shots, not good shots....Thus the player passes up the open 12 footer to try and force the ball inside for a lay up....This often results in a turnover, but Holly is happy they did not take the good shot, but lost the ball trying for a great shot.

Flying monkeys attack now...

GameTime: Thank You say no more !

Just looking at the ratings coming out of high school... There girls verses ours!

# 24. Vivians
# 45. McCowan
#49. Johnson

3 star. Morgan
3 star. Schaefer

#1 Mercedes
#6 Nared
#2 Evina
#9 Hayes
#12 Davis

Differences= Age and coaches because rankings obviously don’t matter much???? Just saying

That's four seniors and a junior who've played together for four years. That's worth a lot more than some people care to think. It may not explain everything, and certainly doesn't, but having that kind of talent with so much experience is worth a lot.

those four senior guards without that 6'7" center would be going home with a loss on their record. She was the difference, not the added years.

That's four seniors and a junior who've played together for four years. That's worth a lot more than some people care to think. It may not explain everything, and certainly doesn't, but having that kind of talent with so much experience is worth a lot.

This is Johnson's second year with the program, and both her and Blair were bench players last season. This is the first year they have played extended minutes. MeMe played more than them last year. State lost 3 starters from last season. It's not like this has been their starting unit their entire careers.

As with the 3 players who graduated, Vic has shown an ability to develop players that were not highly sought after recruits. Besides Vivians, I doubt Holly would have given any of their roster one let alone two looks.

If the LVs want to win, they're going to have to stop looking to Nared for offense. She's been up and down and when she's down, most of her points come from FTs. She was 3-14 and 0-3 from three against Miss St. She was shooting lights-out during the cupcake run, but she's cooled off in SEC play. When she feels she has to carry the game, her play becomes erratic. If others are making shots, the offense is more balanced and she settles down. When she settles down, the whole team is more in control. Nared may not be the floor leader everyone thought she'd be, but they can adjust.

Plus I will say it wonder if this team is regressing into last years team. I see a lot of the same terrible play. I don't know if it is Holly and the staff but were no where as good a team as we were the first ten games of the season.

I don't know if it's so much the team has regressed as they were never really as good as we were hoping early in the season playing weaker teams....

Maybe our young women need to develop a case of bad@@@. You know, refuse to be intimidated, take the ball to the hoop, dare other folks to go through them?

When I watch some of the other teams, it is almost as though their every thought is "Oh, no, you don't!"

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know if it's so much the team has regressed as they were never really as good as we were hoping early in the season playing weaker teams....

Earlier in the season we were playing at a level similar to what Miss St and Notre Dame were playing if you consider the scores of the same opponents. Miss St over Oklahoma State by 3 Tennessee wins by 10. Notre Dame over Marquette in overtime Tennessee the same.
Talent is there some players are taking shots they shouldn't and some players are passing us out of a shot attempt.
The one stats that always confirms our play is shot attempts. We are allowing team to get way more shots at the basket in games than we are getting. Notre Dame 18 more and Miss St 14 more.
Even some of the weaker teams we've played have gotten more attempts in a game than we have. The reasons are numerous but in the last two games they were ugly stats turnovers and offensive rebounding. We get better at both let any player on the team take the good shot we'll certainly be able to compete with anyone.

I see where Massey is predicting Miss St to go a perfect 30 and 0 for the regular season and 16 and 0 in the SEC. I tend to agree with them don't think SC can handle them at their place.
I think we can beat them if we play a decent game get on the boards and even the shot count. Would be nothing better than to knock them off in the SEC tourney.

Right now I think this team may get to 24 and 5 and 12 and 4 in the SEC which will be an improvement over last season. Right now I don't know what is going on with Nared she is totally out of control throwing up some shots that have little chance to go in. In SEC play she is shooting 30 percent and about 20 percent from the three.
The difference in our defense and theirs is that they collapse on a driver with two or three players. We let our defense play their driver one on one and never have any help come over. Three or four times when Vivians drove to the basket on Nared Russell had he back to the play looking at her man.

That precisely is the problem. The lack of ball awareness and the urgency to help out with the defense is alarmin

Yes, when we are driving, our opponents cheat with 2 or 3 players on us. Is Holly blind?

VN Store

Back