Wishful Thinking... One player

Love your defense! Most folks Know little about Kiner and Naumoff both really good. However, don't see how you leave off the best defense lineman we or any team ever had, Doug Atkins and on offense,,, lets see, that guy who is ending an all pro tight end career with Dallas.

Well I did qualify it and say it was a first cut. Not enough positions available. Like:
Eric Berry, Barnett, Jason Witten, Bob Johnson, Johnny Majors, Dale Jones, Jackie Walker, etc.
Maybe we should do first team, second team, etc.

Bob Suffridge

Suffridge played college football at the University of Tennessee, where he played under coach Robert Neyland from 1938–1940. He was a three time All American, receiving the honor each year of his playing career. He also won the Knute Rockne Memorial Trophy.[1]
Suffridge was noted for his quickness. As one bio states "Suffridge was so quick he once blocked the same point-after- touchdown three times, twice called for off-sides when many observers felt he wasn't."[2] During his time at Tennessee, the Volunteers did not lose a regular season game.[2]
"Robert Neyland never wanted to answer when asked, ’Who were your greatest players?’ But, when pressed, he would reluctantly answer, ’I’ll start a team, but will not attempt to complete it. You’ll have to start with Bob Suffridge the greatest lineman I ever saw and that’s as far as I will go with the line. For a backfield, you’ll start with Gene McEver, the greatest I ever coached.’"[3]
Suffridge was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1961. He was also honored as a member of the all-time Southeastern Conference team in 1982 and was chosen by the Football Writers Association for the all-time All America team.[2]

The 2018 Vols desperately need a QB and help at DB. I will go with Heath Shuler and Eric Berry.

Manning and White.

Forget UT, Two of the best football players of all time. No Brainer.

But in all seriousness, we need a QB and help on defense.

Justin Worley and Rod Wilks.

Offense - Heath Shuler
Defense - Carl Pickens

I would go with Heath over Peyton because our Offensive line is unknown. In college, with an unknown offensive line, I would prefer Heath because of his physicality and running ability.

Since Carl played both ways his freshman year, I would bring him in as my lockdown corner, and utilize him on offense at wide receiver as well.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
In a 3-4 defense?

Give me Albert Haynesworth

On offense the clear answer is Peyton, but I do worry they’d have to take him off the field in an ambulance with this offensive line.[/QUOTE]

My fellow Vol fan, I really have to question if you have a clear idea of the state of our offensive line at this time.

But I guess we'll know more in about a week.

Some of you guys are high as a kite.

There’s only 1 correct answer. It was the FIRST one given:

Peyton Manning & Reggie White

Reggie was absolutely great but his pro career colors many people's memory of his college days. If we're going modern day players Al Wilson was a better college player. If we're going all time then it's Doug Atkins. Peyton is the easy choice for offense but the 2018 version of the Vols lacks the play makers that would make Manning truly shine. This team needs someone who, to use a basketball analogy, can create their own shot. The best the Vols ever had at QB who could do that was Tony Robinson. He not only beat but dismantled the 1985 Auburn team that came to Knoxville ranked No. 1 and trotted that years Heisman winner Bo Jackson on the field. Tony lite up Auburn with 4 TD passes and lead the Vols to a 38-20 victory that basically saw Bo quit in the 4th qtr. Robinson beat Alabama twice as a starter and in 1984 in dramatic fashion by leading the Vols in a 4th quarter come back that saw him score on a two point conversion to seal the deal for the Vols 28-27. He was the QB that brought Tennessee football back from a decade long run of despair that marked the end of the Battle era and the start of Major's tenure. He put Tennessee back in the National picture by leading the Vols to the 1985 SEC title. Imagine Josh Dobbs with a rifle for an arm and you get the picture. Peyton and Reggie are outstanding choices but for what this team needs Wilson is a better choice for D because of his ability to lead a defense and a MLB is as important to a D as a QB is to the O. Robinson is my choice for O not because he's better than Peyton but because when everything breaks down Tony had the athletic ability to turn a sack and 4th and forever into a big play TD either with his legs or his arm. JM2C

Reggie was absolutely great but his pro career colors many people's memory of his college days. If we're going modern day players Al Wilson was a better college player. If we're going all time then it's Doug Atkins. Peyton is the easy choice for offense but the 2018 version of the Vols lacks the play makers that would make Manning truly shine. This team needs someone who, to use a basketball analogy, can create their own shot. The best the Vols ever had at QB who could do that was Tony Robinson. He not only beat but dismantled the 1985 Auburn team that came to Knoxville ranked No. 1 and trotted that years Heisman winner Bo Jackson on the field. Tony lite up Auburn with 4 TD passes and lead the Vols to a 38-20 victory that basically saw Bo quit in the 4th qtr. Robinson beat Alabama twice as a starter and in 1984 in dramatic fashion by leading the Vols in a 4th quarter come back that saw him score on a two point conversion to seal the deal for the Vols 28-27. He was the QB that brought Tennessee football back from a decade long run of despair that marked the end of the Battle era and the start of Major's tenure. He put Tennessee back in the National picture by leading the Vols to the 1985 SEC title. Imagine Josh Dobbs with a rifle for an arm and you get the picture. Peyton and Reggie are outstanding choices but for what this team needs Wilson is a better choice for D because of his ability to lead a defense and a MLB is as important to a D as a QB is to the O. Robinson is my choice for O not because he's better than Peyton but because when everything breaks down Tony had the athletic ability to turn a sack and 4th and forever into a big play TD either with his legs or his arm. JM2C
Reggie White is in the College Football Hall of Fame, was a Unanimous All-American, and the SEC Player of the Year.

You’re insane if you think Al Wilson was the better college player.

And no one in their right mind is going to take a MLB over a dominant edge defender that can get to the QB. Reggie’s single season record of 15 sacks still stands to this day.

Two reasons I did not pick Peyton:

1. No idea if our offensive line will give any QB time to throw

2. Seems Pruitt’s offense is going to be a big back punishing to DL and softening them up.

Those were why I picked a bruising RB.

What do you think Fulmer and Cut's offense was? "Pound the rock" then throw it over the top. That is TN football

VN Store

Back