JG, Taj Boyd and recruiting

Dude only has 86 posts in that time and one of them included some cool pictures and a story, and you've made fun of him the whole time. Classy.
I think we can all agree that classy isn’t my bag, baby.

Lane Kiffin does not get near enough credit for the disaster that we are now digging out of. I guess Doolittle and Lyle stole a lot of his thunder.

Could not agree more. I was sitting in a sports bar with a buddy of mine when that news flashed across a TV screen tuned to ESPN. It's hard to describe how stunned I was. I was never a Kiffin fan, but I knew at that very moment that our program was in for many years of pain and heartache. Not because Kiffin was any great loss, but because of the turmoil it caused within the program and how it would be viewed nationally. It would have taken stellar leadership from the administration to sort it all out and limit the damage. Unfortunately, we seem to have had the opposite of that.

I watched the NCAA 19 simulated version on YouTube last night of Tennessee's season. And it was 5-7. With close losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Miss State, and UK, South Carolina and again Vandy. JG was throwing pick after pick. I know it's just a video game.

Reactions: 08Vol
I watched the NCAA 19 simulated version on YouTube last night of Tennessee's season. And it was 5-7. With close losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Miss State, and UK, South Carolina and again Vandy. JG was throwing pick after pick. I know it's just a video game.
Sounds like a never ending nightmare to me. :)

I’m hoping for a 2015 type of year, but hoping we come out on the winning side of a few of those games!!! We had two true freshmen that played 9 and 10 games and held their own respectably. We may find ourselves again with two true freshmen on the line. Who knows how this season will play out... we can only speculate at this point. I believe if the offensive line plays above expectations, then watch out, the rest of the pieces will fall into place and we just may have ourselves a great year!!!

Reactions: njvols
This may be a stretch, but it's the off season, and is how I hope this season plays out. Realize that for every hypothetical positive, there's many other examples where someone flames out. But, if you look at JG's and Taj Boyd's second year, they both had QB ratings of 141 (sports-reference.com). If you go back to where and how Clemson started their rise, Taj (former Fulmer commit) was probably the most critical part. He was the foundation. His play helped Clemson rise in performance, and helped their exposure, which, in turn helped their recruiting. Granted, ACC competition was much different than life in the SEC. But, the way that Pruitt and co are recruiting right now, I think this will only be elevated if JG can take his game to the next level. It's not all on him...we need much better OL play...but he's also got to take the next step in being "the guy" and being the emotional leader of the offense. Chaney has a good history of QB development, so if JG does take that next step over the next two years, I think he's got the chance to have the same affect on the Vols as Taj did for Clemson. Recruiting is above average, but the Vol Brand is powerful...it's just waiting for the spark/wins to get us up to the LSU, UGA levels of recruiting. I like how this staff is seemingly being very selective and being patient in waiting for their guys. That being said, this is important year for Pruitt...probably his most important year...it's a leapfrog year...we show noticeable progress on the field, and we're off to the races, leapfrogging over many of our SEC counterparts, and building the program back...another 5 or 6 win season, and it may be a much longer build, with folks starting to question if Pruitt's the guy.

People like to talk about the beginning of this downward spiral that is Tennessee foorball during Fulmers 2 losing seasons out of 4. When he was fired he had 2 NFL qbs committed plus other ones succeeded in college and beyond. Man knew what he was doing. Wished we had waited a year or two later. Very least that low rated verbal recruiting class ranking was toataly inaccurate.
This may be a stretch, but it's the off season, and is how I hope this season plays out. Realize that for every hypothetical positive, there's many other examples where someone flames out. But, if you look at JG's and Taj Boyd's second year, they both had QB ratings of 141 (sports-reference.com). If you go back to where and how Clemson started their rise, Taj (former Fulmer commit) was probably the most critical part. He was the foundation. His play helped Clemson rise in performance, and helped their exposure, which, in turn helped their recruiting. Granted, ACC competition was much different than life in the SEC. But, the way that Pruitt and co are recruiting right now, I think this will only be elevated if JG can take his game to the next level. It's not all on him...we need much better OL play...but he's also got to take the next step in being "the guy" and being the emotional leader of the offense. Chaney has a good history of QB development, so if JG does take that next step over the next two years, I think he's got the chance to have the same affect on the Vols as Taj did for Clemson. Recruiting is above average, but the Vol Brand is powerful...it's just waiting for the spark/wins to get us up to the LSU, UGA levels of recruiting. I like how this staff is seemingly being very selective and being patient in waiting for their guys. That being said, this is important year for Pruitt...probably his most important year...it's a leapfrog year...we show noticeable progress on the field, and we're off to the races, leapfrogging over many of our SEC counterparts, and building the program back...another 5 or 6 win season, and it may be a much longer build, with folks starting to question if Pruitt's the guy.

This may be a stretch, but it's the off season, and is how I hope this season plays out. Realize that for every hypothetical positive, there's many other examples where someone flames out. But, if you look at JG's and Taj Boyd's second year, they both had QB ratings of 141 (sports-reference.com). If you go back to where and how Clemson started their rise, Taj (former Fulmer commit) was probably the most critical part. He was the foundation. His play helped Clemson rise in performance, and helped their exposure, which, in turn helped their recruiting. Granted, ACC competition was much different than life in the SEC. But, the way that Pruitt and co are recruiting right now, I think this will only be elevated if JG can take his game to the next level. It's not all on him...we need much better OL play...but he's also got to take the next step in being "the guy" and being the emotional leader of the offense. Chaney has a good history of QB development, so if JG does take that next step over the next two years, I think he's got the chance to have the same affect on the Vols as Taj did for Clemson. Recruiting is above average, but the Vol Brand is powerful...it's just waiting for the spark/wins to get us up to the LSU, UGA levels of recruiting. I like how this staff is seemingly being very selective and being patient in waiting for their guys. That being said, this is important year for Pruitt...probably his most important year...it's a leapfrog year...we show noticeable progress on the field, and we're off to the races, leapfrogging over many of our SEC counterparts, and building the program back...another 5 or 6 win season, and it may be a much longer build, with folks starting to question if Pruitt's the guy.[/QU

The defense is what will change the direction of the program.
I believe showing improved O-Line play will help just as much as the D being good. If the o-line plays well, that gives JG time to make plays and opens up a run game. IF both sides play well, look out SEC.....WE'RE BACK!!!

I've wanted to share this for awhile and seems like a good time now. My brother was on a cruise and ran into Taj Boyd. My brother is a huge vol fan as is most of my family but were he and them slack is keeping up with recruiting. I help them out 😉 Anyways with that said he got back home and told me he met him and said he didn't know he was committed here at one point. I told him yeah Kiffin F'd that up. Now what I'm bout to say idk if it was alcohol related or not but my brother said he started to get pissed talking about Kiffin and how he really wished he could have played for Tennessee. Said "we" had the best fans he's ever seen and roots for us every Saturday. I know cool story bro, but I find it pretty cool a guy still wonders what could have been if not for F'ing Kiffen.

Running off Boyd was a major reason for our decline and Clemson’s climb regionally.

Reactions: UTDB#1
If you think JG is going to be the catalyst to start Tennessee's rise back to the top..

Well...

I've got a beautiful tropical-esque beachfront property in South Dakota I'd love to sell you..

JG's biggest area of improvement has to be avoiding the big loss. There's nothing wrong on a 3rd down conversion (or any other down for that matter) to simply throw the ball away if the play is not there. He rarely did that, he'd take a loss rather than put it in the air out of bounds. That's a fundamental play most QBs have that he has not yet demonstrated consistently. It's a useful play when a jailbreak DL is coming unblocked as well. I think he has most of the other tools, I don't think he misreads defenses as much as he doesn't get rid of the ball. Punting is not a bad thing, but if you make your team punt AFTER taking a 7 + yard loss, that IS a bad thing. He has to eliminate those type plays this year.

I hope as a starter for second yr, he can read a defense better than he showed as a 1st yr. starter, I'm hoping for better production from JG and goes without saying
the OL needs help him ………………….

JG has shown nothing that compares to Taj Boyd.........….........…….

Maturity either, that's why I find you hilarious, and that dude isn't here enough to know so I was just trying to give him a heads up.

Carry on.
On here about everyday man. I know a lot more than what people would think by looking at my post count and likes..... I dont crave attention from my team's message board, like some. Best believe I know about my Vols and when someone is being a d!#k I'm going to let them know so.

On here about everyday man. I know a lot more than what people would think by looking at my post count and likes..... I dont crave attention from my team's message board, like some. Best believe I know about my Vols and when someone is being a d!#k I'm going to let them know so.

Yeah, you misunderstood my intention, but I get your point. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: UTDB#1

VN Store

Back