JG, Taj Boyd and recruiting

This may be a stretch, but it's the off season, and is how I hope this season plays out. Realize that for every hypothetical positive, there's many other examples where someone flames out. But, if you look at JG's and Taj Boyd's second year, they both had QB ratings of 141 (sports-reference.com). If you go back to where and how Clemson started their rise, Taj (former Fulmer commit) was probably the most critical part. He was the foundation. His play helped Clemson rise in performance, and helped their exposure, which, in turn helped their recruiting. Granted, ACC competition was much different than life in the SEC. But, the way that Pruitt and co are recruiting right now, I think this will only be elevated if JG can take his game to the next level. It's not all on him...we need much better OL play...but he's also got to take the next step in being "the guy" and being the emotional leader of the offense. Chaney has a good history of QB development, so if JG does take that next step over the next two years, I think he's got the chance to have the same affect on the Vols as Taj did for Clemson. Recruiting is above average, but the Vol Brand is powerful...it's just waiting for the spark/wins to get us up to the LSU, UGA levels of recruiting. I like how this staff is seemingly being very selective and being patient in waiting for their guys. That being said, this is important year for Pruitt...probably his most important year...it's a leapfrog year...we show noticeable progress on the field, and we're off to the races, leapfrogging over many of our SEC counterparts, and building the program back...another 5 or 6 win season, and it may be a much longer build, with folks starting to question if Pruitt's the guy.

You are right,it is a stretch. But I do agree this is a very important year for Pruitt. But don't worry about Guarantano beyond this year; Isn't he is a senior?

If you think JG is going to be the catalyst to start Tennessee's rise back to the top..

Well...

I've got a beautiful tropical-esque beachfront property in South Dakota I'd love to sell you..
Who's it gonna be then? I sware you never have anything positive to say

Reactions: lynnh
The key for this year team is the Oline. They have to be improved and play consistently. I also think the biggest thing the oline has to improve on is the team work within each other. How many times did we see JG get knocked down and three offensive line standing there not blocking anyone. I went back and watch the ETSU and at times they only sent three. They couldn’t block that JG was taking a beating from a three man rush.

The offense has all the pieces they need qb, tb, receivers but they have to have blocking and solid line play. Same on d the dline has to solid. Get a pass rush and slow down the run. I think the linebackers will be improved as well as the secondary.

To be honest, JG just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in the SEC. We can blame it on Butch Jones, we can blame it on the offensive line, we can blame it on his high school coach or we can blame him or his different coaches.. doesn't matter. At the end of the day it's HIM who has no produced since he's taken over at Tennessee. We keep hoping things will change and he will suddenly have a break out year and it never happens. He's mediocre AT BEST! If you're going to be mediocre, at least be consistant and he's not. I'm not saying he's not trying to get better or he doesn't work hard - but he just doesn't have it. He can't scramble, his arm is ehhh, he takes forEVER to get rid of the ball and his mind for defense is ZERO. As long as he is the starting QB you can almost count on losing the games that matter and making a should be win into some overtime close game and for whatever reason will get praised for. JMO

Reactions: CA_Vol
He just showed you that they had the same exact QB rating at this point in their careers, you either read it or you didn't.

I didn't see the # of wins JG has compared to Taj Boyd show some W's that is the DEFINING STATISTIC, you either read it or you didn't I did NOT...………………..

Last edited:
I didn't see the # of wins JG has compared to Taj Boyd show some W's that is the DEFINING STATISTIC, you either read it or you didn't I did NOT...………………..
So you're saying that's all a QB gets credit for is winning? And you didn't say anything at all about winning, you said there was no comparison in the 2. The original post that you replied to simply said the 2 had the exact same qb rating. You bringing something new into a debate is not how it works. You may have read it but likely didn't understand it.

To be honest, JG just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in the SEC. We can blame it on Butch Jones, we can blame it on the offensive line, we can blame it on his high school coach or we can blame him or his different coaches.. doesn't matter. At the end of the day it's HIM who has no produced since he's taken over at Tennessee. We keep hoping things will change and he will suddenly have a break out year and it never happens. He's mediocre AT BEST! If you're going to be mediocre, at least be consistant and he's not. I'm not saying he's not trying to get better or he doesn't work hard - but he just doesn't have it. He can't scramble, his arm is ehhh, he takes forEVER to get rid of the ball and his mind for defense is ZERO. As long as he is the starting QB you can almost count on losing the games that matter and making a should be win into some overtime close game and for whatever reason will get praised for. JMO
Problem is he is our best QB at the moment so we are stuck

Reactions: GregM260
You want winning numbers for both? I'd agree if both conferences were equal but they are not. SEC has always been better as a whole than the ACC for the past 30 years.

So you're saying that's all a QB gets credit for is winning? And you didn't say anything at all about winning, you said there was no comparison in the 2. The original post that you replied to simply said the 2 had the exact same qb rating. You bringing something new into a debate is not how it works. You may have read it but likely didn't understand it.

I read it and understand, I'm not debating this just stating facts go dig up all stats you want to prop up a player and it does not make them equal with someone else.
If your team is WINNING GAMES these comparisons DO NOT MATTER...……...………......GO VOLS

If you really look at it, we have had a lot of talent at QB these last ten or so years. Not sure Boyd would have done that much. Certainly wouldn’t have changed the overall direction of the program.

Crompton, BJ Coleman, Nick Stephens (for a minute at least) Matt Simms, Tyler Bray, Nathan Peterman, Riley Ferguson, Josh Dobbs all managed to go to the next level. That’s probably better than we had at any other position.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

To be honest. You are just plain stupid to think JG isn't a starter in the SEC. He wasn't and never has been rated last at his position. You may not feel he is Peyton Manning level, which is fine, who is, but not worthy of playing in this conference. You're just an idiot. Don't take my word for it, take another SEC quarterback who won here often. Erik Ainge, a guy who knows way, way, wayyyyy more than you. A guy who goes to all the practices you don't, who talks to the players, you don't, who talks to the coaches, you don't. He has said repeatedly that JG is an SEC QB and believes he's much better than "fans" like you believe.

It gets so freaking old listening to this group of morons who bash the starting QB every year, begging for the back up, the freshman, the new recruit, the upcoming 6th grader. Pruitt's future is riding on this teams performance, if he thinks JG is the guy, then he's the guy. If he thinks he isn't, he isn't. That's it.

To be honest. You are just plain stupid to think JG isn't a starter in the SEC. He wasn't and never has been rated last at his position. You may not feel he is Peyton Manning level, which is fine, who is, but not worthy of playing in this conference. You're just an idiot. Don't take my word for it, take another SEC quarterback who won here often. Erik Ainge, a guy who knows way, way, wayyyyy more than you. A guy who goes to all the practices you don't, who talks to the players, you don't, who talks to the coaches, you don't. He has said repeatedly that JG is an SEC QB and believes he's much better than "fans" like you believe.

It gets so freaking old listening to this group of morons who bash the starting QB every year, begging for the back up, the freshman, the new recruit, the upcoming 6th grader. Pruitt's future is riding on this teams performance, if he thinks JG is the guy, then he's the guy. If he thinks he isn't, he isn't. That's it.

Ainge also said repeatedly that Butch Jones was a great coach.

Reactions: lynnh
Ainge also said repeatedly that Butch Jones was a great coach.

That I have never heard him say. What I have heard is that when he first got here he thought he would do well, but after time that he wasn't capable of learning and growing as a coach. That he focused on all the wrong things and in desperation he made promises after promises that he either couldn't, it wouldn't live up to. Favoring certain players, and not others. Once he had gave them control, it was all over.

Now, if you want to go back and talk about when each coach first gets here, then they have almost all said positive things about Dooley, Jones, each and every assistant. That's called being supportive, publicly, not derisive. The difference is they, unlike many here, are actual fans of the University. Many of you, must not be with how continually negative you are about everything. Luckily, I'm not a mod, I'd silence about a 1/3 of you.

VN Store

Back