JG, Taj Boyd and recruiting

That I have never heard him say. What I have heard is that when he first got here he thought he would do well, but after time that he wasn't capable of learning and growing as a coach. That he focused on all the wrong things and in desperation he made promises after promises that he either couldn't, it wouldn't live up to. Favoring certain players, and not others. Once he had gave them control, it was all over.

Now, if you want to go back and talk about when each coach first gets here, then they have almost all said positive things about Dooley, Jones, each and every assistant. That's called being supportive, publicly, not derisive. The difference is they, unlike many here, are actual fans of the University. Many of you, must not be with how continually negative you are about everything. Luckily, I'm not a mod, I'd silence about a 1/3 of you.
Ainge was absolutely ripping anyone that dared to speak ill of Butch Jones in 2017. Even went on Finebaum to belittle other media personalities in Knoxville. He was a major sheep until the bottom completely fell out and the position became untenable.

Reactions: lynnh
Ainge was absolutely ripping anyone that dared to speak ill of Butch Jones in 2017. Even went on Finebaum to belittle other media personalities in Knoxville. He was a major sheep until the bottom completely fell out and the position became untenable.

As I recall, he was talking about other radio and the like personalities who were, just as many of you here are, simply trying to tear everything down from within. I, myself, thought and hoped Butch Jones was gonna succeed. Up until the Florida game and 3 straight pass plays. That's when I saw the light and realized he wasn't capable. Some saw it earlier, some later. The ones who from day one were belittling and negavols ended up being right, not because of their intelligence. Simply because of 50/50 odds. Just like my broken watch of my fathers. It's right twice a day, every day. Doesn't mean I wear it though.

As I recall, he was talking about other radio and the like personalities who were, just as many of you here are, simply trying to tear everything down from within. I, myself, thought and hoped Butch Jones was gonna succeed. Up until the Florida game and 3 straight pass plays. That's when I saw the light and realized he wasn't capable. Some saw it earlier, some later. The ones who from day one were belittling and negavols ended up being right, not because of their intelligence. Simply because of 50/50 odds. Just like my broken watch of my fathers. It's right twice a day, every day. Doesn't mean I wear it though.

Erik Ainge loves him some Butch Jones

Love this whole post. “It took me nearly five seasons to figure out what should have been obvious to anyone that watched UT-Cincy in 2010 and therefore I am the smart one”.

Love this whole post. “It took me nearly five seasons to figure out what should have been obvious to anyone that watched UT-Cincy in 2010 and therefore I am the smart one”.

He said exactly what must everyone agrees with. Butch tried and worked very hard, he recruited well, brought in good solid young men, very very few if any "bad apples". He never said he needed to learn from mistakes and that would help him and the team get better. Obviously, he didn't learn. Now, you can spin what he said anyway you want, but that is the same thing he still says to this day about the guy. The only caveat being that after being around Pruitt and company that he had forgotten what it was to go to the facility and talk football with football guys. Looking back, he realized that Butch lacked that and hindsight being 20/20, that should have been a red flag.

Now, what next, for your argument.

If only everyone were as amazing as you. No mistakes would be made, infinite clarity would be achieved. Every offensive play would execute perfectly and every defensive one to perfection. Every play would result in no gain. Stalemate, punt, stalemate, punt. All marriages would never divorce. Utopia would be achieved. I'm glad you were the one who was so perfectly aware that Terry Bowden would fail, that Mark Richt would never win the championship, that Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban both would fail in the NFL. I wish I was you, I wake every morning wishing I new how negative the world was gonna be. I would be such a happy person I'd just end it all right there, couldn't get any better than that.

He said exactly what must everyone agrees with. Butch tried and worked very hard, he recruited well, brought in good solid young men, very very few if any "bad apples". He never said he needed to learn from mistakes and that would help him and the team get better. Obviously, he didn't learn. Now, you can spin what he said anyway you want, but that is the same thing he still says to this day about the guy. The only caveat being that after being around Pruitt and company that he had forgotten what it was to go to the facility and talk football with football guys. Looking back, he realized that Butch lacked that and hindsight being 20/20, that should have been a red flag.

Now, what next, for your argument.

He recruited so well we just got done with the worst two year stretch in our history. Very few bad apples? I’m not really sure how to continue if that’s what you think. That’s Shy Tuttle fell on a helmet level delusion.

Reactions: lynnh
If only everyone were as amazing as you. No mistakes would be made, infinite clarity would be achieved. Every offensive play would execute perfectly and every defensive one to perfection. Every play would result in no gain. Stalemate, punt, stalemate, punt. All marriages would never divorce. Utopia would be achieved. I'm glad you were the one who was so perfectly aware that Terry Bowden would fail, that Mark Richt would never win the championship, that Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban both would fail in the NFL. I wish I was you, I wake every morning wishing I new how negative the world was gonna be. I would be such a happy person I'd just end it all right there, couldn't get any better than that.

I managed to foresee the eventual downfall of the worst coach we’ve ever hired. I find such a prediction mundane. You equate it with borderline omniscience. I guess it’s all relative.

He recruited so well we just got done with the worst two year stretch in our history. Very few bad apples? I’m not really sure how to continue if that’s what you think. That’s Shy Tuttle fell on a helmet level delusion.

Recruited Derek Barnett, John Kelly, Alvin Kamara, Rashaun Gaulden, Josh Malone, Jalen Hurd, Cameron Sutton, Josh Dobbs, Tyson Chandler, etc etc etc. Developed them, no. Recruited well, yes. Could it have been better, obviously. Just don't forget the VFLs that were here during his years because of your negativity.

I managed to foresee the eventual downfall of the worst coach we’ve ever hired. I find such a prediction mundane. You equate it with borderline omniscience. I guess it’s all relative.

I only wish you had been in charge, you would have known Nick Saban was going to become so great, we could have hired him instead of bama. Where are you when it's the obvious perfect hire. Oh yeah, looking back and telling us all how you knew everything 5 years ago.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know who you are. A person who doesn't like Tennessee. You, obviously, aren't a fan. As such, ignoring the ignorant is an option here.

I only wish you had been in charge, you would have known Nick Saban was going to become so great, we could have hired him instead of bama. Where are you when it's the obvious perfect hire. Oh yeah, looking back and telling us all how you knew everything 5 years ago.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know who you are. A person who doesn't like Tennessee. You, obviously, aren't a fan. As such, ignoring the ignorant is an option here.
Hold up. Are you seriously suggesting you didn’t know Saban was going to be a homerun for Bama? Please continue to call me ignorant while proclaiming how easily you miss the obvious.

Also, laughing really hard that I’m not a fan because after three years of suffering under Dooley I was unhappy that we hired the one guy he pulverized.

I don’t hate him at all. He just isn’t very good. It’s not personal, but rather the reality of the situation. And no, he is not more talented than Boyd. Good lord.
I don’t hate JG whatsoever so I think the best way to describe him should be more along the lines of “He may not have tapped into his full potential” rather than “he’s not very good”. There are things he can get better at but that the case with every qb at every level.

I don’t hate JG whatsoever so I think the best way to describe him should be more along the lines of “He may not have tapped into his full potential” rather than “he’s not very good”. There are things he can get better at but that the case with every qb at every level.
Are you my dad? Want to play catch in the backyard later?

I wanted Jones to succeed. All Vol fans did. But he gave reasons from the 1st year on to believe he wouldn't. The odds weren't 50/50. If a guy can't develop talent, has attrition too high, can't manage games, teaches bad technique, has systems that do not work, and cannot build a culture that sustains discipline and unity... His chances of success are nil. He also had higher than normal injuries basically from the point where his S&C and development ideas became dominant.

I got attacked by many for talking about injuries and attrition. But that is something HC impacts from the point he decides to offer a particular kid a scholarship.

I am not glad Jones is gone. I am not glad he failed. I am not glad that he had to suffer the pain and embarrassment of being fired. I am glad that UT FINALLY found the good sense to see why he should have been fired... even if it were a couple of years too late... or maybe 5 years.

I think JG has great physical potential. I just hope he has the other parts that make a good QB.

VN Store

Back