QB Bailey wins 5 star challenge MVP ...

RE: No quarterback had the consistency that the Tennessee commit showed throughout the day although it should be noted that all the quarterbacks were impressive.

Re: He is a six-star in my book.

True.

If all the 5-Stars were impressive and the 4-Star had more consistency than them all, that, logically, would equate Bailey to a 6-Star "throughout the day."

But, we just need to start winning and this can suffice for now -- "No quarterback had the consistency that the Tennessee commit showed throughout the day".

Wait -- were there any 5-star qbs there?

Five stars must be referring to the yelp rating of the challenge

Rivals.com - Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Ranking the QBs

Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Ranking the QBs

mefdoalga7hifrii2fbt

This was the third year in a row that Bailey competed in the Five-Star Challenge and he saved his best performance for last. The ball flew off his hands during one-on-ones and Bailey took the reins during the 7-on-7 tournament, calling plays for his team and leading them all the way to the championship game. Bailey thrives in a 7-on-7 environment, but what impressed most was his confidence and swagger as he directed his team. Bailey was the clear alpha of the quarterback group.

He'll get his fifth star before signing day. On Rivals anyway.

You had me at the proper use of the phrase, "Couldn't care less..."

Common mistake. The proper use is "I could care less". Obviously you care enough to respond. If you cared nothing at all, zilch, you wouldn't even respond.

I could care less what you think, by not responding at all.

It's true. They do rank Vol commits lower but, they need to consider that, Butch is gone. We now have a staff that can coach. HB is coming to a team with 2 coaches that won national championships as quarterbacks, the close attention of Mr. Manning and Cheney, who runs productive offenses.

Reactions: dduncan4163
He does seem to have the cerebral development Manning had at this stage. If what the experts saying are true he may very well be starting by the end of 2020. He may never be Peyton but my gut says he's going to be special.

He does seem to have the cerebral development Manning had at this stage. If what the experts saying are true he may very well be starting by the end of 2020. He may never be Peyton but my gut says he's going to be special.

I meant I was confused by... "HB is coming to a team with 2 coaches that won national championships as quarterbacks, the close attention of Mr. Manning and Cheney, who runs productive offenses."

Why is his national ranking only 120 on 247sports.com? He has dropped like a rock since November when his national ranking was in the 60's, and I haven't seen any explanation for it. He is obviously, impressing on a national stage right now... but will I be surprised if he drops any further down? Nope. We joke about it a lot... but commitment-perception bias is very real. There is no way that Harrison Bailey would have dropped that much if he was either an Alabama or Georgia commitment. He isn't perceived to be as good, just because he is committed to Tennessee. That has to be it.
That's just part of the business. People wouldn't take recruiting services seriously if their highest ranked recruits didn't perform well at the highest level. The best way for the services to protect their business is to adjust the rankings such that the highest ranked recruits are the ones going to winning programs.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Why is his national ranking only 120 on 247sports.com? He has dropped like a rock since November when his national ranking was in the 60's, and I haven't seen any explanation for it. He is obviously, impressing on a national stage right now... but will I be surprised if he drops any further down? Nope. We joke about it a lot... but commitment-perception bias is very real. There is no way that Harrison Bailey would have dropped that much if he was either an Alabama or Georgia commitment. He isn't perceived to be as good, just because he is committed to Tennessee. That has to be it.

That is spot on. And it irks me to death. I wouldnt have an issue with the ranking drops if this were in the middle of the season and HB was playing like garbage. Then the drop would be warranted. But the drops when no football is being played? That makes zero sense. You are correct with the preception bias. HB would be skyrocketing up the rankings right now if he were committed to UGA, Bama or Clemson. But because he is with us, he isnt.

If Rivals doesnt move him up significantly after this, then they are just showing they are anti-TN.

Honest question,, what does it matter what his Star Rating is?
Some people (like me) believe that when you have a 5 star QB committed to your program, it really helps in the recruitment of WR's (which we really need right now). Other than that? Probably not a big deal, but the bias in the system (that does exist) should be pointed out whenever it becomes this apparent. These recruiting services (especially 247) get a lot of publicity and the top high school prospects definitely pay attention to them and they openly talk about them ... it feeds into their own perception of who is trending up (or down).

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Honest question,, what does it matter what his Star Rating is?

Put it like this. Say you are in you are in SR of HS and wanting to go to college on an academic scholarship. You bust your butt to improve your GPA and get it to a 3.9. You take the ACT/SAT and score high. Yet despite all of that, you dont get the reward for your hard work because your HS wasnt a high profile school.

Its about principle. If Bailey hadnt done anything to deserve a high ranking, then so be it. But to drop a kid that has worked hard to master his craft for nothing more than committing to a specific school, is flat out ridiculous. Also, how do we know Bailey doesnt take his ranking seriously?

VN Store

Back