QB Bailey wins 5 star challenge MVP ...

I'm with you on this. He can either play or he can't. It looks as if this kid can sling it.

If you really want to get down to it, why does football matter? What does any of it matter? What do AP and CFP rankings matter? Where do we stop with what really matters and what doesn't?

Obviously you know this, I was just thinking out loud. Lol, star ratings matter, why? Because football matters, that's why.

Reactions: Boca Vol
If you really want to get down to it, why does football matter? What does any of it matter? What do AP and CFP rankings matter? Where do we stop with what really matters and what doesn't?

Obviously you know this, I was just thinking out loud. Lol, star ratings matter, why? Because football matters, that's why.

this is no place for an existential crises, Behr.

Deeep breaths.....LOL.

UT has had a lot of 4 and 5 star players on its campus the last decade and it hasn't really mattered. As you know, so many things go into the success of a program including some luck here and there.

Reactions: Rooster1 and Behr
Stars set a standard for some kids
That standard either makes them or breaks them
Hopefully this kids makes the most of them

Honest question,, what does it matter what his Star Rating is?
Really? Nothing. Heck, most recruiting info means nothing, its all to sell a kid to a college. Just look at our QB. Sold as an elite dual threat, best in the nation...Or a 5 star lineman who couldn't block a toddler..

Reactions: 1vol8
I'm burning up over here Boca. It's hotter than a Mexican orgy in a jalapeno field. Are you in Boca now or TENNESSEE? It's pushing 96 here with 100% humidity and feels like 486.5. Lol, Gulf looks like a pond and it's nearing 90 itself (89.4 as of now) these are August numbers.

Rivals.com - Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Programs that should be pleased
UT is listed as a "team that should be pleased".
The Vols had a great day on Tuesday, with quarterback commit Harrison Bailey winning MVP honors after a very strong showing. Bailey has been a vocal recruiter for the program and having him perform well in front of his peers will only help his recruiting pitch going forward. One of the best guys at the event was also tight end Arik Gilbert , a prime Tennessee target and one of Bailey’s high school teammates. Recent Vols commit Antonio Johnson was also very good, playing both ways and impressing as both a wide receiver and a tight end.

He'd be a super star in D2/D3.
He's not done here.

I ain't guaranteeing or even predicting crap, but if and when what he's learned from Chaney kicks in and he reaches the potential alot of people have been convinced he had, a few of you are gonna hear all about it and I'll be honest, I look forward to it almost as much as just the fact he's doing good. Lol, y'all have taken it to an all new level.

Wait -- were there any 5-star qbs there?

Actually, yes, one. Brock Vandagriff (OU commit) was there. Guess Harrison beat him out.

QBs in attendance:
Harrison Bailey (4*) - UT
Max Johnson (4*) - LSU
Kyle McCord & Jack Miller - (4*) - Both OSU
Drew Pyne (4*) - ND
Brock Vandagriff (5*) - OU
Bryce Young (4*) USC

Why is his national ranking only 120 on 247sports.com? He has dropped like a rock since November when his national ranking was in the 60's, and I haven't seen any explanation for it. He is obviously, impressing on a national stage right now... but will I be surprised if he drops any further down? Nope. We joke about it a lot... but commitment-perception bias is very real. There is no way that Harrison Bailey would have dropped that much if he was either an Alabama or Georgia commitment. He isn't perceived to be as good, just because he is committed to Tennessee. That has to be it.

He did not commit to Bama. He would be a 5 star if he had done so.The star system and media rankings are a total joke. Peyton Manning would be a 3 star in today's rankings.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

That's why you start with an assumption.

If you start with the assumption that winning games matters, star ratings don't affect that and therefore don't matter.

The only "concern" I've seen about why he isn't ranked over other quarterbacks usually tends to be some flimsy excuse about his mobility or footwork, which is ridiculous, but let's be real, it's more likely that he's committed (especially to us) more than anything else. There has been a pattern of Rivals in particular lavishing praise on recruits then dropping them in the rankings, and guess what, most of those recruits are committed.

I meant I was confused by... "HB is coming to a team with 2 coaches that won national championships as quarterbacks, the close attention of Mr. Manning and Cheney, who runs productive offenses."
Weinke and Tee “won national championships as quarterbacks”, Peyton visits with the team every year and Cheney is misspelled.

A pet peeve of mine as well. Right behind drivers who don't dim high beams for oncoming traffic or use turn signals.

I've often entertained the idea of duct taping a sharpshooter to the hood of my car and arming him with a .22. Giving him instructions to knock out the headlights of high beamers.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Actually, yes, one. Brock Vandagriff (OU commit) was there. Guess Harrison beat him out.

QBs in attendance:
Harrison Bailey (4*) - UT
Max Johnson (4*) - LSU
Kyle McCord & Jack Miller - (4*) - Both OSU
Drew Pyne (4*) - ND
Brock Vandagriff (5*) - OU
Bryce Young (4*) USC
I have a Georgia friend who was quick to point out that Beck wasn't there. I don't see much difference between Bailey and Beck on film (admittedly, I'm not a scout or any expert). They're the same size and have comparable arm strength and athletic ability. The only reason that I can see for why Beck is rated so much higher, is that he is committed to a hot program while Bailey is committed to a stagnant, stuck in the mud program.... but that shouldn't be a factor in their evaluations.

VN Store

Back