I am a “Pull for your conference” SEC homer, but I’m cheering for Miami today

I’m an SEC homer. But I do hope Miami drills the Gators. Doesn’t look like it’s going to happen based on the first quarter so far.

If we were at the top of the sec I’d always root for the conference. But at this point it does is no good for our rivals to be good. That just gives them an advantage in recruiting. Unfortunately, Mullen has already proven to be a gutsy playcaller. Aggressive will win 9 out of 10 times. And yet so few coaches are smart enough to recognize that. Very few coaches known to be conservative have won championships. Yet very few coaches are know to be aggressive

Because they are SEC fans, like me.

And before we start down this path, there is validity to either side of the argument. The optimal situation lies somewhere in between.

-No you should not “Hope every SEC team besides Tennessee loses every game and goes to hell! Yeeee Haw!!” That’s dumb. You don’t want to be UCF.

-You should also NOT want the entire SEC to be Top 25, that makes for too difficult of a schedule.

-You SHOULD want to be about where Ohio State is. Your conference is weak, but relevant enough that blazing through the conference will still get you in the playoffs.

I saw it posted elsewhere. Rooting for Florida because they are in the SEC is like rooting for the devil because she was in the bible.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
As an SEC homer, it goes:

-What’s good for Tennessee comes first.

-What’s good for the SEC in general comes second.

We need Miami to win this one. Florida does NOT need to see long term success under Mullen if we want to compete for the East in the near future. There is dissension right now at Florida, kicking off their season with a loss to Miami could send them into a downward spiral.

So even if you’re an SEC homer like me, cheer for Miami today. It’s better for Tennessee in the long run.

Spot on my friend.

source.gif

Definitely my favorite

Reactions: GhostVol
SEC pride died 10+ years ago when Alabama and UF were winning multiple titles. There’s nothing to prove anymore.

You're NOT a UT fan if you root for a rival ever unless it benefits UT. Period. It's common sense.
Any sec team win over any non conference team (that Tennessee does not play) always benefits Tennessee........so......

Reactions: AM64
As an SEC homer, it goes:

-What’s good for Tennessee comes first.

-What’s good for the SEC in general comes second.

We need Miami to win this one. Florida does NOT need to see long term success under Mullen if we want to compete for the East in the near future. There is dissension right now at Florida, kicking off their season with a loss to Miami could send them into a downward spiral.

So even if you’re an SEC homer like me, cheer for Miami today. It’s better for Tennessee in the long run.

k

I've said it plenty of times and I'll say it again....

I will root for the SEC over most teams.

I want every SEC to be as highly ranked as possible before Tennessee beats them and then I want them to keep winning after we beat them. The results of our opponents directly impacts the national view of Tennessee.

If the conference is crap, then Tennessee is looked down upon. Most years, that obviously won't matter, but I still want every good Tennessee team to have the extra cache of coming from a top conference.

Just how I've always looked at it.

No it doesn't. Not even a bit. The opposite in fact.
How do you figure?

If Tennessee beats a 4-0 Florida, it’s much better than beating an 0-4 florida. If Tennessee loses to a 8-0 Bama it is much better for Tennessee (rankings, bowls ect) than losing to a 4-4 Bama.

I want Miami to win but the Miami player with the Miami bling and the fans also. What a bunch of punks.

How do you figure?

If Tennessee beats a 4-0 Florida, it’s much better than beating an 0-4 florida. If Tennessee loses to a 8-0 Bama it is much better for Tennessee (rankings, bowls ect) than losing to a 4-4 Bama.

Who cares? That's short minded. If UF is 4-0 they're probably good which means they're harder to beat. I'd rather them be a terrible team. At the end of the day we are in a power 5 conferences so it doesn't matter if all the teams are bad . Think Clemson cares the ACC sucks while they go onto win National Championships? Nope.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I can assure you if Tennessee wants to be good again they need to beat good sec teams not .500 sec teams.

Always.......always the stronger your schedule (if you win) the better for you.

With how things are looking now, Ty Chandler should be foaming at the mouth to get a piece of this gator D. I think the “QB whisperer” forgot to cover the tackling part this past off season.
GBO!!

With how things are looking now, Ty Chandler should be foaming at the mouth to get a piece of this gator D. I think the “QB whisperer” forgot to cover the tackling part this past off season.
GBO!!

Our entire team got the gator D last year. I like our chances this year after seeing this game though.

VN Store

Back