Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fjk02LzWAAArxFG

Story I have told before but maybe worth doing it again……

Was a young kid doing odd jobs in the summer to make some money and this guy asks if I would be willing to mow his yard for the remaining of the summer. He would pay me with a football ticket to UT games.

I mowed his yard several times and received my first ticket to a game. It was 1970 and we opened with SMU. Went to the gate and was asked to go to the elevator. I went up and then was directed to a box where the coaches were seated. I got to spend the entire season with the coaches!! I was able to listed to the play calling and strategy sessions. Interesting fact…. Back then, they had a wire that was connected from the press box to the sidelines that they would send polaroid pictures down for discussions.

The coach that I worked this deal with was Buddy Bennett Of the famed ”Buddies Bandits” (My screen name). He was one of the innovators of a zone defense. That defense along with a talented group of DB’s (and LB’s) went ont to set a NCAA record for interceptions that I think is still in place today. Whenever I see Tim Priest out he and I have “story time” about those days.

While living here in Knoxville, Stetson (current QB’s dad) was born. Buddy was a great man. He was tough and installed that quality in his players. Stetson reminds me a lot of his grandfather. Good people……

Good times and great memories…..

My brother passed away last night so I’m in East Tennessee helping my parents. While putting away some clothes this evening I came across my favorite shirt from college days in the early aughts. We won a lot of games when I wore this regularly. May be time to dust it off again.

View attachment 522387
Sorry for your loss, and may God bless you and your family. I know we haven't got along well, but I absolutely hate to see anybody go through this and I hope you find comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back