Alyssa Latham to Tennessee!

Dark hammers Kellie for signing players of a certain type, Darby, Puckett, Striplin, Strickland Suarez, and Pissott (a high ranked prospect who never passed the eye test). Actually, the first three of those have been solid (with Puckett often being more than that) but that group does suffer from the lack of athleticism that other teams so often exploited. Book is still basically out on Stickland but it is really hard to see her being more than a good role player.

On the flip side, Kellie did sign more athletic players like Wynn and Hollingshead, who have great upsides but have also been slower developing "project" players. I think they may blossom this season so that (along with Jewel) will be a nice welcoming gift from Kellie (along with Cooper, Boyd, and Strickland). And al due credit to CKC, for keeping those players in the fold (or so it seems to this point).

KJH scored with Rickea (Duh), and Jewel (though a little spotty this season), and I would say Powell (after an adjustment period). Going back, Jordan Walker was another solid player, who has some big games but probably was still a level below what was needed for an elite team.

Lets not forget that KJH also kept Jordan Horston in the fold a re-recruit.
MTV I never held it against KJH for recruiting a couple of players of the type of Darby Pissott Puckett etc. But she loaded the darn roster down with them. As for Hollingshead she was a McDonalds AA (people forget that) and a top 50 player in her class that has all the potential in the world. IMO her problem she saw herself as a ball handling 4 and not a mix it up 4 or 5 playing with her back to the basket. Nothing wrong with her that some meat on her bones, weight room work and a good sports nutritionist could not handle Wynn to me was raw and needed to be developed

MTV I never held it against KJH for recruiting a couple of players of the type of Darby Pissott Puckett etc. But she loaded the darn roster down with them. As for Hollingshead she was a McDonalds AA (people forget that) and a top 50 player in her class that has all the potential in the world. IMO her problem she saw herself as a ball handling 4 and not a mix it up 4 or 5 playing with her back to the basket. Nothing wrong with her that some meat on her bones, weight room work and a good sports nutritionist could not handle Wynn to me was raw and needed to be developed
actually Jillian is a 3 with her BH skills (for a 6'4" player)
She desperately needs a jumphook,,a reverse pivot-fade-jumper and a turnaround fade jumper bc she will not be a "5-foot in" post,,,she will be more apt to play the middle-paint for scoring...her offense should be aimed at shooting over her defenders,,,with those offensive moves she could score midpaint all day

Wynn still needs development,,,otherwise it is a natural athlete who loves the game,,,done wrong

I don't know what Hollinghead's issues are, but I doubt they're related to being too thin or not eating properly. I thought she was poised to be a demonstrable asset this past season and she wasn't. Didn't seem to play with much purpose or confidence.

I wouldn’t put Puckett in that group. She’s saved our teams during many games when needed. One of our best overall players.

Not saying much.

She’s not athletic, slow, etc. when she’s one of your better players, you aren’t a very good team.
The amount of tact and respect you lack for people is honestly kinda impressive. Hope nobody ever says this or something with the same intent to your face about you or someone you love, my dude.

I don't know what Hollinghead's issues are, but I doubt they're related to being too thin or not eating properly. I thought she was poised to be a demonstrable asset this past season and she wasn't. Didn't seem to play with much purpose or confidence.
Hollingshead's issues was she had the wrong personality coaching her
Jillian has to be challenged
Her goals have to be verbalized to her
and most importantly,,,her weapons (or lack thereof) has to compliment her body and game,,she is not a side of beef...she is a Delmonico steak

Her game is speed and finesse,,,not brute strength

As usual, you have no way of knowing this didn't happen, and in fact it's silly to think it didn't. Do you really mean to argue that in two years no one has challenged Jill or verbalized goals to her? That's just dumb. The 'problem' is something else.

As usual, you have no way of knowing this didn't happen, and in fact it's silly to think it didn't. Do you really mean to argue that in two years no one has challenged Jill or verbalized goals to her? That's just dumb. The 'problem' is something else.
and as usual,,,you have no way of knowing if it did
I have coached this level of athlete for over 20 years...I'll take my assessment over most
add also that I saw Jillian in 2015 at Holy Innocents and again in 2020 at McEachern
So I know a little more about her prior game than most as well

Reactions: 007Racer
Hollingshead's issues was she had the wrong personality coaching her
and most importantly,,,her weapons (or lack thereof) has to compliment her body and game,,she is not a side of beef...she is a Delmonico steak

Her game is speed and finesse,,,not brute strength
If she has to be "challenged" at this level, go play chess. This is Tennessee, there is a tradition and a standard set, nobody should be Challenging her to be the best player needed for this program. She should want to do it and if she doesn't she shouldn't be playing.

She has far too much talent to be as inconsistent as she has been for the past two season, that shouldn't require constant motivation.

Not saying much.

She’s not athletic, slow, etc. when she’s one of your better players, you aren’t a very good team.
Again, we do not know how good or bad some of last years players are because they have never been in good physical condition. After Summer and Fall workouts, we may find they are really good players.

She is extremely weak in the legs and as a consequence fell down a lot last year, especially when banging in the post. She also has poor hands and part of that is strength which makes it easy to strip the ball from her.

And you are correct about confidence being an issue. She never seemed sure of herself or what she should be doing. One good thing about the new style of ball we will play is that there will be less time for players to get into their own heads and second guess everything. Analyzing is paralyzing in basketball. You have to be totally in the flow and in the moment. Playing a style where the court opens up more may do wonders for her.

Reactions: Ratvol and dazzleme
Regarding the Jillian question that has been coming up a bit here… One thing from a basketball perspective I wonder is why Jillian seemingly regressed, or at least didn’t improve, from the end of the 22-23 season to the whole 23-24 season. I think we all thought Jillian was ready for a breakout year this year and it just didn’t really happen. She began the season as the starter and seemingly there was a problem at some point, per Harper, with the spacing between Jillian and Rickea because they like to operate around the same areas. I recall her saying this a few times throughout the season regarding the bigger lineup. I’m curious why this was an issue this year but not the year before? What changed? Was she injured and not able to go 100%? Was it really a positioning problem?

I’m not sure what it was but I hope she has a big season and thrives under the new leadership.

Also I think her and Latham will play well together.

Regarding the Jillian question that has been coming up a bit here… One thing from a basketball perspective I wonder is why Jillian seemingly regressed, or at least didn’t improve, from the end of the 22-23 season to the whole 23-24 season. I think we all thought Jillian was ready for a breakout year this year and it just didn’t really happen. She began the season as the starter and seemingly there was a problem at some point, per Harper, with the spacing between Jillian and Rickea because they like to operate around the same areas. I recall her saying this a few times throughout the season regarding the bigger lineup. I’m curious why this was an issue this year but not the year before? What changed? Was she injured and not able to go 100%? Was it really a positioning problem?

I’m not sure what it was but I hope she has a big season and thrives under the new leadership.

Also I think her and Latham will play well together.

A bit like all the speculation that surrounded Key when she was struggling blood clot pre-diagnosis, it was all off base and blaming her for being lazy or lacking confidence.

I think there is a very good chance that Jillian was not a 100%, physically or mentally. She looked off all season. Athletes have a right to privacy so we will likely never know but seldom do a players ongoing struggles, at this level, come down to a lack of motivation. It is fair to say that playing her out of position contributed but she did the same in the prior season with greater effect. If she starts killing it in 2024-25, maybe we will get a profile piece on ESPN on whatever reporting on what she had been coping with this season.

Last edited:
Puckett is a keeper all day long. The young lady has skills and she is tough. She is not fast but has good instincts and anticipation.
I really think a more action less thinking more subbing will help her.

she’s already very skilled defensively just needs less decision making on O

Reactions: Orange007
A bit like all the speculation that surrounded Key when she was struggling blood clot pre-diagnosis, I think there is a chance that Jillian was not a 100%, physically or mentally. She looked off all season. Athletes have a right to privacy so we will likely never know but seldom do a players ongoing struggles, at this level, come down to a lack of motivation. It is fair to say that playing her out of position contributed but she did the same in the prior season with greater effect. If she starts killing it in 2024-25, maybe we will get a profile piece on ESPN on whatever she had been coping with this season.
She also had a concussion early in the season, and we discount the lingering effects of head injuries far too often. Could explain why she seemed more confident and active later in the season.

A bit like all the speculation that surrounded Key when she was struggling blood clot pre-diagnosis, I think there is a chance that Jillian was not a 100%, physically or mentally. She looked off all season. Athletes have a right to privacy so we will likely never know but seldom do a players ongoing struggles, at this level, come down to a lack of motivation. It is fair to say that playing her out of position contributed but she did the same in the prior season with greater effect. If she starts killing it in 2024-25, maybe we will get a profile piece on ESPN on whatever she had been coping with this season.
In like the 3 practice videos we had jill saying her “back hurts” and she’s “got a lot of miles on her body” Among other slight indications

Reactions: UTtoDC
She also had a concussion early in the season, and we discount the lingering effects of head injuries far too often. Could explain why she seemed more confident and active later in the season.

BINGO (I think). Having seen more that a few of these through my son's and daughters soccer careers, they are tricky injuries. An athlete can pass the concussion protocol and still have lingering problems.

Since you can't "see" it like an ACL or other serious injuries people still tend to think of it as "getting your bell wrong" and it being a short term issue but they can linger. One of my sons teammates still had bouts of dizziness, disorientation, memory loss, and light sensivity for over a year after his initial injury.

Common sense. No way any player was here two years and no one verbalized goals or challenged her. You didn't invent any of that nor do you have a patent on it. The real coaches thought of it too.
Have we ever thought that Hollingshead may not have had the coaching she needs to develop her skill sets? The former coaching staff seemed to have issues coaching their bigs. For one thing our bigs had few post moves, they lacked quickness, they could be a fouling nightmare, they had issues catching a pass, they constantly brought the ball down low so it could be stolen or knocked out of their hands, and had issues making easy layups. Striplin without a doubt was our best shooter.

Reactions: Ratvol
Have we ever thought that Hollingshead may not have had the coaching she needs to develop her skill sets? The former coaching staff seemed to have issues coaching their bigs. For one thing our bigs had few post moves, they lacked quickness, they could be a fouling nightmare, they had issues catching a pass, they constantly brought the ball down low so it could be stolen or knocked out of their hands, and had issues making easy layups. Striplin without a doubt was our best shooter.
Idk if we were watching the same season or not but Key and Strip were much better utilizing post moves this year. Key even pulled off a few up and unders this year. I definitely agree about the post fundamentals, we bought the ball down low or took way too many power dribbles more than we should’ve.

VN Store

Back