Alyssa Latham to Tennessee!

Have we ever thought that Hollingshead may not have had the coaching she needs to develop her skill sets? The former coaching staff seemed to have issues coaching their bigs. For one thing our bigs had few post moves, they lacked quickness, they could be a fouling nightmare, they had issues catching a pass, they constantly brought the ball down low so it could be stolen or knocked out of their hands, and had issues making easy layups. Striplin without a doubt was our best shooter.
Yes, obviously it’s occurred to us that Jillian hasn’t had the coaching she needs to develop her skills. Just answering a previous post by saying that any coach, including the upward bound coach at the church gym, would have verbalized goals and challenged any player. Going to guess that was not among the coaching problems.

Have we ever thought that Hollingshead may not have had the coaching she needs to develop her skill sets? The former coaching staff seemed to have issues coaching their bigs. For one thing our bigs had few post moves, they lacked quickness, they could be a fouling nightmare, they had issues catching a pass, they constantly brought the ball down low so it could be stolen or knocked out of their hands, and had issues making easy layups. Striplin without a doubt was our best shooter.
I don’t think u can blame a college coach for certain players not being able to catch or make layups, these are things that are taught at a young age, so if u don’t have it now u never will.

BINGO (I think). Having seen more that a few of these through my son's and daughters soccer careers, they are tricky injuries. An athlete can pass the concussion protocol and still have lingering problems.

Since you can't "see" it like an ACL or other serious injuries people still tend to think of it as "getting your bell wrong" and it being a short term issue but they can linger. One of my sons teammates still had bouts of dizziness, disorientation, memory loss, and light sensivity for over a year after his initial injury.
It’s super scary, and our screening tools only reflect what we know and can see which isn’t a lot! I hope your son’s teammate is doing better know. I worry a lot about these injuries, and I often joke if I had kids of my own that I hope they like golf because it’s the only sport i’d trust their brain health playing 😵‍💫

We, you and I, have...But what do we know

Reactions: Golfteacher
Like the video I posted before with Maria saying we loss in Hs recruiting due to Nil, now that Danny has his coach in place we have Nil money to spend so that should help going forward.

I keep seeing folks referring to not having NIL money before. If that were the case, then that was a problem. NIL money and support from the AD should not be based on who the coach is.

If there is an increase in NIL, I believe it is probably more related to players like Clark and Reece who have showed that women athletes can have an influence that can promote products.

I don’t think u can blame a college coach for certain players not being able to catch or make layups, these are things that are taught at a young age, so if u don’t have it now u never will.
I disagree because making layups has to do with developing a soft touch and use of the glass. An athlete with a reasonable skill set can easily pick this up. It takes practice and the development of muscle memory. It also takes work, desire, training and the will to never give up and never give in. If we used your thought process then a raw athlete will never be anything but a raw athlete after he or she is 17 or 18 years of age. We might as well forget developing athletes once they reach the college level.

Hollingshead's issues was she had the wrong personality coaching her
Jillian has to be challenged
Her goals have to be verbalized to her
and most importantly,,,her weapons (or lack thereof) has to compliment her body and game,,she is not a side of beef...she is a Delmonico steak

Her game is speed and finesse,,,not brute strength

Good players make plays. Nobody tells them, "hey, when you get the ball, make a play." They are instinctive, they adapt and put themselves in positions during games to score, rebound, etc. and influence games. She didn't make plays, was
very static, not active, many times close to a cipher when she was on the court. BB is structured--but it's also a free-flowing game. I don't see her as a 3 at all. If she has 3 skills, she could have shown them playing the 4. Didn't.

Reactions: ReignSupreme
Scolded for 3 years in asking “what does Jon do?”

Still no answer, but it seems the answers are in the players development or lack of.

From the outside looking in as someone who makes a hobby of observing peoples' body language and personality quirks, it has always seemed to me more likely than not that Hollingshead's main bugaboo is low self-confidence. She appears to possibly be a bit of an introvert, and if true, that would make it kinda difficult for her to be consistently aggressive on the court. Seems like she's afraid to make mistakes and then her hesitancy leads fouls which then makes her confidence leave the arena.

Of all the players on the team, Jillian would benefit most from getting with a professional who can teach her visualization techniques. She needs to watch herself, over and over and over again, every single day, making powerful, confident moves for scores. She needs to stop worrying in games about how she's moving her body and just move it like she does in her mind.

Might sound silly to some, but it definitely works. Jillian has the skills. We know this because she has had many moments of brilliance. She just has to learn how to shut down the self-doubt when it tries to take over. If she ever learns to lose the doubt altogether, she'll be amazing.

🔥🔥🔥🔥 fade aways, threes, dominant rebounding, great vision/awareness, steals, intensity. Wow! A fantastic addition!
I'm excited to see her out there, and agree with you except on "threes". 28%. However, only 21 attempts, and 6 of 12, then 0 for 9, which I think suggests some potential there.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
She averaged 1.3 blocks and 7 rebounds per game. I’d say she is plenty big for a forward position in a fast paced offense and defense. Very good pick up with 3 years to play.
A 5 block game against Alabama and a 6 block game against Louisville. Also, 4 games with 3 steals and 9 more with 2. Great stuff.

Techniques are taught. These were techniques that weren’t taught or coached. If the player can’t catch a ball, why were they recruited to Tennessee?

I keep seeing folks referring to not having NIL money before.
I'm so sick of the lies and innuendo. Stop spreading rumors and then pontificating with great bias in ignorant ways based rumors.

If that were the case, then that was a problem.
See what I mean? You had your cheap shot ready in advance and without researching the facts, used what you freely admit is hearsay and gossip to launch your attack. Why?

In order to start **** about our recent coach. Which undermines the team and present coach (the only coach we have), and does everything in your power to divide the fan base. Now if people like you fully succeed in that, that will hurt our NIL donations.

NIL money and support from the AD should not be based on who the coach is.
Stop all of this garbage and lies and stop blaming.

NIL comes from fans and businesses. It was not even legal last year for the AD to be involved. Clearly there was NIL for the players we got from the portal. How can you be so ignorant as to not know that? Was it big enough? One hopes not as big as this year, much less next year.

The allegation that there was no NIL for high school recruiting or that its lack was the primary reason for people not signing is a completely unsubstantiated and biased rumor. You do realize there are other factors in recruiting, right? You'd better hope that recruits think CKC will accomplish things (a primary draw) and not be completely caught up in lies and in-fighting like you are.

NIL absolutely can be based on how fans and businesses feel about the state of the program and its prospects. It's a free market.

If people are giving more now, then you should be jumping for joy instead of trying to incriminate an AD trying to boost all of our teams. And start a ruckus.

I've come to learn that most programs and teams blame "not enough NIL" when they miss on a prospect, but point to the good things about their program (and downplay NIL) when a recruit signs. Ever noticed that?

If you personally did not give to NIL last year, blame yourself. It's not owed to you or to us. It's not a hand-out. We have to generate it through our own efforts.

If there is an increase in NIL, I believe it is probably more related to players like Clark and Reece
Again you are trying to take credit away from everyone who is supporting our LVs and assigning it elsewhere.

Those two were anomalies. They were the faces of the sport that the networks were clearly using to make an all-out marketing push to promote the sport. So, national advertisers wanted to be on in that ride. No matter how many endorsements those two sold, our NIL gets zero. That's yet another transparent attempt by you to deflect all praise away from what we are doing and assign credit elsewhere.

If you follow sports, you know (1) that most new coaches get an uptick in optimism and support because it's a new beginning. You also know that (2) IF (and I do not claim this is true) many potential big sources of NIL did feel the old situation was played out (Note: I love Kellie), well, a fresh start would help there too. If that happened, the AD did not do that. Do you understand that? NIL members and donors do what they want. It is independent of the athletic department. Just like you can stop, halve, maintain, double or triple your own contribution to any cause.

Instead of playing off one coach against another, you should live in the real world, accept where we are, and get behind this LV Renaissance.

The best thing you can do is join the Vol Club, get your business involved if you have one, and contribute to the positive karma that will encourage others to join and give. Bad mouthing based on gossip kills donor enthusiasm.

Last edited:
In case you haven't noticed 6'2" is not a "big girl" in the world of D-1 women's basketball anymore.
I would point out Bashaara Graves, a TN young lady from Clarksville. She was 6'2" and scored over 1500 points and grabbed over 1000 rebounds for the LVs. In Latham, I hope we got something close to Ms. Graves. GBO.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back