Alyssa Latham to Tennessee!

I'm so sick of the lies and innuendo. Stop spreading rumors and then pontificating with great bias in ignorant ways based rumors.

So do you have proof that NIL increased or not? My comment was that I see folks mention it all the time - but as far as I know it is all speculative.

Reactions: glv98
See what I mean? You had your cheap shot ready in advance and without researching the facts, used what you freely admit is hearsay and gossip to launch your attack. Why?

In order to start **** about our recent coach. Which undermines the team and present coach (the only coach we have), and does everything in your power to divide the fan base. Now if people like you fully succeed in that, that will hurt our NIL donations.

My comments had nothing to do with the coach, past of present. And if NIL solves everything, why a new coach - just work the NIL angle.

Truth is no amount of NIL will make a team win games. The coach has to coach those players and be a good "in game" coach and the players have to execute.

Reactions: Ratvol
So do you have proof that NIL increased or not? My comment was that I see folks mention it all the time - but as far as I know it is all speculative.
One shouldn't use ungrounded speculation as a launching pad for pre-fabricated attacks. That was my point.

Insofar as I know, all of those previous mentions you refer to were unfounded gossip and employed for the same bickering purposes.

But above all, my point is that your question about last year does not matter. At all. That's all in the past, and is presently of use only to people pitting one of our coaches against another, which is a fool's errand.

The Spyre collective publishes membership numbers and its overhead expenses as a percentage of donations (10% or less, which puts non-profit organizations by comparison to shame). It doesn't disclose large donor amounts (which would exceed the highest membership option) insofar as I know, or which businesses have teamed up with the collective. Until the deal is publicly announced. It is subject to an independent audit, iirc.

But the collective is not going to say how much money was or is available total, or how much spent, or on whom, or how much it was willing to spend on whom, or in which cases it may have passed on a player whose ask exceeded a staff's evaluation, or who is being looking at with a view to preparing new offers, or what percentage of its spend it devotes to retention vs the portal vs high school prospects. You have to remember this is an extremely competitive undertaking, and no rational organization is going to hand out competitive secrets like cupcakes at a birthday party.

I don't know how the separate LV collective works. But I gathered here from a great number of the remarks than no one else appears to, either. I would guess it is much the same as Spyre. Idk.

I should add that I have no reason to believe that stories in the media about NIL are more than guesswork, sometimes agents' baiting, and sometimes mere clickbait. I have seen a few that appear to be hit pieces disguised as brags.

If you were a major donor to one of these collectives (someone supplying the NIL opportunities that the collective lines up for the players, for example), you would likely know more. Definitely about your own deal. I'm not in that league.

Last edited:
I would point out Bashaara Graves, a TN young lady from Clarksville. She was 6'2" and scored over 1500 points and grabbed over 1000 rebounds for the LVs. In Latham, I hope we got something close to Ms. Graves. GBO.
You misunderstand what I was saying. The young lady may be a 4 year all-American, fine I hope so. I was not question her size or ability. What I was pointing out was "6 feet" is not a tall women's player anymore.

Reactions: brittannica
Money can bring the best players and they can win with a mediocre coach.
I'd agree with that if its a solid, competent coach, which most are. With great players, IMO a midish x and o coach who is a really good leader and people person, a good organizer and willing to hire a great staff will go far. Don't think that's true of a 'great' coach who doesn't have enough good players.

You would never get a stacked roster. Not many coaches have stacked rosters and if they do, it is because they have earned the recruits with their coaching ability.
It only takes one elite player to get others to follow, especially if that player is recruiting. USC was nowhere and all it took was getting JUju Watkins and now look at the top class they have coming in and most likely will get Kiki Iriafen as well. We need that one player to do that for us.

It only takes one elite player to get others to follow, especially if that player is recruiting. USC was nowhere and all it took was getting JUju Watkins and now look at the top class they have coming in and most likely will get Kiki Iriafen as well. We need that one player to do that for us.
Depends on the coach.

We had that one player (Nyla) and we had that coach (Kellie) imo, hopefully coach Caldwell can win her back.

We had that one player (Nyla) and we had that coach (Kellie) imo, hopefully coach Caldwell can win her back.
Nyla Brooks is that player, I see she’s the type of player that would recruit. She’s friends with Finley Chastain and others interested in us. Hopefully we can get a player like that in the 2025 class

We have been weak at the 1 and 5 positions for a number of years. The teams which usually are very strong at those two positions. It has been a number of years since we have been strong at those positions on the same team. Kellie has yet to have a team with those strengths and her record proves it. When one finds themselves in a hole, stop digging or the hole only gets deeper.

We have been weak at the 1 and 5 positions for a number of years. The teams which usually are very strong at those two positions. It has been a number of years since we have been strong at those positions on the same team. Kellie has yet to have a team with those strengths and her record proves it. When one finds themselves in a hole, stop digging or the hole only gets deeper.
Not denying that, but one can also argue if the donors supported NIL and provided the money needed to seal the deal, we would've had the #7 (Center) and #44 (PG) in the 2023 class. Both of those players would've likely played well for us this past season one likely starting the season until TK was ready to start and the other likely being the back up PG we needed when Wells tore her ACL and not forced us to have to use Kaiya out of position (which became a weakness) than in her natural position where she often gets to the free-throw line.

Did recruiting need to be improved, yes could NIL have possibly helped that, yes.

We now will see if the new staff is able to go out and get us what we need in the portal and high school to return to the Top of WBB.

I am hopeful.

Not denying that, but one can also argue if the donors supported NIL and provided the money needed to seal the deal, we would've had the #7 (Center) and #44 (PG) in the 2023 class. Both of those players would've likely played well for us this past season one likely starting the season until TK was ready to start and the other likely being the back up PG we needed when Wells tore her ACL and not forced us to have to use Kaiya out of position (which became a weakness) than in her natural position where she often gets to the free-throw line.

Did recruiting need to be improved, yes could NIL have possibly helped that, yes.

We now will see if the new staff is able to go out and get us what we need in the portal and high school to return to the Top of WBB.

I am hopeful.
We missed out on 3 top recruits in the 2023 class because of Nil, Maria said that was the reason.

VN Store

Back