Legend of Tennessee football on Finebaum

Caculator

No sane person wants to live on planet of the apes
Clint Stoerner on in a few minutes......my hero!

Honarable mention to a real hero: Billy Ratliff with the fumble recovery!

Attachments

• Billy_Ratliff_Recovers_Fumble.jpg
    Billy_Ratliff_Recovers_Fumble.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 14 people
Clint Stoerner on in a few minutes......my hero!

Honarable mention to a real hero: Billy Ratliff with the fumble recovery!

I was like, what?! Had to google it, lol.

"Stoerner is widely known for fumbling the ball in a crucial SEC game at Tennessee. The undefeated #10 Ranked Arkansas Razorbacks were leading top-ranked Tennessee 24-22 with 1:43 to play, the Razorbacks needed only to make a first down so they could run out the clock. On a second down naked bootleg play, Stoerner stumbled on the rollout after his center stepped on his foot, and dropped the ball; Tennessee's Billy Ratliff recovered. Several plays later, Travis Henry scored Tennessee's winning touchdown with 28 seconds left and preserved their national championship season with a 28-24 victory."

Reactions: 8 people
Was sitting in my rain soaked VV seats when Neyland went silent. Clint is a VFL!!

Reactions: 6 people

"Stoerner is widely known for fumbling the ball in a crucial SEC game at Tennessee. The undefeated #10 Ranked Arkansas Razorbacks were leading top-ranked Tennessee 24-22 with 1:43 to play, the Razorbacks needed only to make a first down so they could run out the clock. On a second down naked bootleg play, Stoerner stumbled on the rollout after his center stepped on his foot, and dropped the ball; Tennessee's Billy Ratliff recovered. Several plays later, Travis Henry scored Tennessee's winning touchdown with 28 seconds left and preserved their national championship season with a 28-24 victory."
I'm confused. You had to google who Clint was?

Reactions: 14 people
That's 1 play I'll never forget.

I'll bet he never forgets it either, LOL!

Nice of a Arky hog to help us Win a National Championship.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

His center stepped on his foot because he got blown up

Reactions: 11 people

Yep, I was sitting in that tropical downpour. The first half was a total disaster. According to his teammates, Billy came out after halftime like a man possessed. They were commenting on his behavior during the game. His play was inspiring to his teammates. He drove his man back, where he stepped on Clint's foot. My memory is that Clint didn't exactly fumble. He lost his balance tried to keep from falling by putting his hand down to stop his fall. It was just that the football happened to be in that hand and touched the ground. Same difference, of course.

Reactions: 1 person
I was sitting in my garage in Mexico Beach, Floriduh watching on a TV set with rabbit ears antenna. My wife walked in right before the fumble and said "I don't know how you watch this stuff without going crazy".
I told her that it was pretty much over, the only thing that can save'm now is if the hand of God comes down and puts the ball on the field.
Next play it happened! I think they heard me all the way to Tallahassee.

Reactions: 6 people
Yep, I was sitting in that tropical downpour. The first half was a total disaster. According to his teammates, Billy came out after halftime like a man possessed. They were commenting on his behavior during the game. His play was inspiring to his teammates. He drove his man back, where he stepped on Clint's foot. My memory is that Clint didn't exactly fumble. He lost his balance tried to keep from falling by putting his hand down to stop his fall. It was just that the football happened to be in that hand and touched the ground. Same difference, of course.

It was barely raining but it was chilly. More of a mist in the 2nd half.

I'm confused. You had to google who Clint was?

I agree, if you had to Google who Clint is, you haven't been around very long. I remember right where I was when that happened, and the subsequent drive. I was working that night and listened to it on the radio. JW's call was epic!

Reactions: 1 person
BS. In nearly 40 years of season tickets, I can't recall a heavier rain.

I remember it the same as Dunlop . Since 1956, i have sat in many down pours which were much harder than the showers we had that night.

IIRC, the player that stepped on Stoerner was not the center, but was a Guard, Brandon Burlsworth, a walk-on who eventually earned a scholarship. The tragic epilogue to the the whole event is that Burlsworth, after being drafted in 1999 by the Indianapolis Colts was killed in a car wreck, never playing in the NFL.

It was barely raining but it was chilly. More of a mist in the 2nd half.

Between being wet/cold, feeling like we were going to lose and dreading a long drive home after the game; I was miserable. But I forgot it all when Billy Ratliff recovered that fumble. Travis Henry would not be stopped! I'm happy to have had that experience.

IIRC, the player that stepped on Stoerner was not the center, but was a Guard, Brandon Burlsworth, a walk-on who eventually earned a scholarship. The tragic epilogue to the the whole event is that Burlsworth, after being drafted in 1999 by the Indianapolis Colts was killed in a car wreck, never playing in the NFL.

He always wore those thick BC glasses...he was awesome in college...I was looking forward to him protecting Peyton...tragic indeed.

I wasn't at that game, but the 2002 debacle versus Florida was the heaviest rain I've ever sat through.

I'll go with Florida 1992. Rained so hard that it knocked out the TV feed and had water flowing across the old superturf.

Reactions: 7 people

Sometime years earlier, I saw Randall Cunningham try to use the football to keep his balance and he left it on the ground. It's nearly impossible to keep a grip on a football while doing that. I can remember me and a friend act ally trying it. When Stoerner did it, it was like everything went slow motion and I thought "he can't do that. He's going to fumble!" and lo and behold . . .

VN Store

Back