Legend of Tennessee football on Finebaum

Thanks for mentioning Ratliffe here. He made the play from start to finish, just like he told Tee he was about to. Pushed the guard into the backfield causing Stoerner to trip over his foot, and then recovered the fumble. That play had everything to do with Ratliffe and very little to do with Stoerner.

Yes. And anyone who doesn't realize this, who doesn't give Ratliff his credit does not truly understand the BCS title road that year. Stoerner fumbled but Ratliff caused it all and even called his shot to Tee and Coach Fullmer before doing it. This was even verified by Fullmer himself in a recent interview with sec network. Tee had also sucked it up part of the game. Henry and oline saved them as well. D line, oline and running the ball wins titles.

Reactions: 1 person
Think around 2006 against Marshall was the worst I have seen - remember it looked like waterfalls cascading down the bleachers. We were there early and TV / radio was broadcasting for fans to stay away due to the lightning and heavy rain - think kickoff was delayed at least 1 hour. Got to "adjust" the 50 yard line 3rd row that day with the light turnout.
Not too bad once the game started - think that was around when my wife started asking why we always get there so early . . .
This. They didn't even run through the T

Me too. I'm not sure if the rain or the second half was worse.

I think I know where you are going with this. The weather was bad in the first half. Under Dooley, the Vols didn't play much football in the second half of many games.

Glad those days are in the past. UT is on the way to once again be a 60 minute team; finishing games strong in the 4th quarter.

I was at the Arky game.

I remember it being a solid, cold, nasty rain.

I wasnt at 92 UF but the video that made it through to my tv made it look horrific. It was hard to even see the field.

I was at the 92 UF game.. There was something like 10 inches of water on the sides of the field.. Every step I took, water came up through my shoes. It was insano rain.

I was in the Army and a fellow Platoon Sergeant from Arkansas had just called me to gloat. Just as he started laughing at me it happened. My favorite play since the 98 season.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the Arky game.

I remember it being a solid, cold, nasty rain.

I wasnt at 92 UF but the video that made it through to my tv made it look horrific. It was hard to even see the field.

The 1992 game was an absolute monsoon. But that is still my favorite game in Neyland bar none. Atmosphere just got better in Neyland when the rains came.

Reactions: 2 people
That was so cold and rain soaked.. I was sick for weeks after that game. My Brother and I were dejected, but still not walking out like so many.

I had two extra tickets to the Arkansas game that I literally couldn't give away.

The 92 game was just fun. Wet and wild and a Florida drubbing.

I left Tennessee after 2000, so don't have experience with those other games.

That's when I felt the tug of destiny. I just couldn't believe it. Thanks Clint. Never forget you, my friend.

GO VOLS!

Think around 2006 against Marshall was the worst I have seen - remember it looked like waterfalls cascading down the bleachers. We were there early and TV / radio was broadcasting for fans to stay away due to the lightning and heavy rain - think kickoff was delayed at least 1 hour. Got to "adjust" the 50 yard line 3rd row that day with the light turnout.

Not too bad once the game started - think that was around when my wife started asking why we always get there so early . . .

This is the game that stuck out the most in my mind. There was flooding all over Knoxville. I tailgated and was going to get a scalped ticket, but I literally just picked up one of many that were on the ground and walked in.

How was an undefeated SEC team that late in the season ranked #10?

Young pup, the SEC was not as dominant back then as they have recently been. Although we have come back down to earth the last two years. The SEC was good in the 90s but they were not as good as these past ten years.

Believe it or not, I had a feeling that we would win that game. I felt that we were a team of destiny that season. I wasn't even worried about it, even when we were down 24 - 22.

Also, in the 2007 UK game, UK lined up for a field goal to win the game and I had a feeling that we would block the kick or it would be a miss. Lo and behold, Dan Williams blocked the kick and Eric Berry tried to advance it before the ref stopped his run.
Marvin Mitchell ended up sacking the UK qb on the 2 point conversion, later in O.T. and
that gave us the win and a trip to the S.E.C. Championship game.
In both of those instances, I just had a feeling that despite the odds, we would win the game and we did!!!

How was an undefeated SEC team that late in the season ranked #10?

You have to understand where they started. It was Houston Nutt's first year and the program was a dumpster fire with no expectations. Then they played a schedule that in hindsight was really weak in the first two months. In reality, they were probably about the 5th best team in the SEC that year behind us, FL, UGA and Miss State. I think they ended up with 3 or 4 losses down the stretch.

I'll go with Florida 1992. Rained so hard that it knocked out the TV feed and had water flowing across the old superturf.

This. The drains on the sidelines still had the covers on when the monsoon came in at halftime and there was at least 3-4' of water at the edge of the turf where the wall was! Showed just how much of a crown the old turf field had!

Yes. And anyone who doesn't realize this, who doesn't give Ratliff his credit does not truly understand the BCS title road that year. Stoerner fumbled but Ratliff caused it all and even called his shot to Tee and Coach Fullmer before doing it. This was even verified by Fullmer himself in a recent interview with sec network. Tee had also sucked it up part of the game. Henry and oline saved them as well. D line, oline and running the ball wins titles.

Agreed. Defense finished strong after being a paper tiger early on. Tee stunk it up, 10-27 throwing the ball iirc. At the end of the day, it was our stud OL and stud RB taking over the game to win it after our stud DT Ratliffe made the play of the game that saved our national title run.

You have to understand where they started. It was Houston Nutt's first year and the program was a dumpster fire with no expectations. Then they played a schedule that in hindsight was really weak in the first two months. In reality, they were probably about the 5th best team in the SEC that year behind us, FL, UGA and Miss State. I think they ended up with 3 or 4 losses down the stretch.

Finished 9-3. That was a tough, hardnosed team that got its revenge the following year in Fayetteville.

VN Store

Back