Legend of Tennessee football on Finebaum

You know ole Stoerner had to leave the state of Arkansas after he graduated. There's just no way fans wouldn't pester him all the time about that loss. Heck, people still pester him about it now.

You know ole Stoerner had to leave the state of Arkansas after he graduated. There's just no way fans wouldn't pester him all the time about that loss. Heck, people still pester him about it now.

I hear he and Bill Buckner are close friends.

Those two plays are remarkably similar in that that's all anybody remembers, yet there was a lot more that happened to cause both those losses.

Very true. Arkansas still in theory could've stopped Travis Henry and the Sox blew another lead in game 7.

I hear he and Bill Buckner are close friends.

I bet so! Buckner's play is arguably in the top 10 of most infamous plays ever, in any sport. In most peoples eyes Stoerner's play isn't quite up there with Buckner's considering it was game 6 of the World Series. The spot light was just way bigger. All Stoerner did was make a goober of a play that cost his team the game, ruined their perfect season they had going on, and crushed any National Championship aspirations they had, that's it man, no biggie!:)

I was at home watching that game, I was at home watching it on TV. Man I was dejected. I could see the season we were having and the chance, however remote at that time, that we might make it to the BRAND SPANKIN NEW BCS CHAMPIONSHIP going out the window with a hog first down. I watched the play unfold and I was not really sure if I saw what I thought I saw. Then by the reaction of the team I knew we had the ball. Then I like I am sure ever one of the old timers on here, sat there and watched us run that ball down the Pigs throat. Man that was beautiful. I was screaming and yelling because I could not believe it. That team was a team of destiny, the luck against the Orangemen, this game, all the losses that had to occur in conference championships for us to make the BCS. THEN EVERY BROADCASTER BUT 1 ON CBS PICKED FSU TO WIN. I can not wait till we are back on top brothers and sisters of VN.

BS. In nearly 40 years of season tickets, I can't recall a heavier rain.

It was certainly raining the whole game. Not sure if the rain was a hard rain, but it was steady all afternoon. I was soaked from head to toe when I got home.

Haha, always gave my hog friends hell about that play. ..did y'all know Fulmer had stoenor on scholarship at arky? ;)

I was watching the game upstairs in my parents room. (Mom sent me up there during Vol games because she said I got too emotional over a "game" . This happened a lot as a youngster, lol). At one point when we were down multiple scores, I flipped over to watch Kansas St Vs Nebraska for a bit. Then I saw where we pulled within 4,so I flipped it back over. Saw the ball go over the punters head and thought that's what we needed. Then both offenses stunk. Sat there with absolutely no hope as Arkansas had the ball. Then it happened. I screamed so loud. Mom asked if everything was OK. I was so excited I tried to explain, but apparently was not succeeding. I then just said everything is AWESOME. she laughed. Good times.

The Oregon game was the worst I've experienced in Neyland.

Think around 2006 against Marshall was the worst I have seen - remember it looked like waterfalls cascading down the bleachers. We were there early and TV / radio was broadcasting for fans to stay away due to the lightning and heavy rain - think kickoff was delayed at least 1 hour. Got to "adjust" the 50 yard line 3rd row that day with the light turnout.

Not too bad once the game started - think that was around when my wife started asking why we always get there so early . . .

Reactions: 2 people
Clint Stoerner on in a few minutes......my hero!

Honarable mention to a real hero: Billy Ratliff with the fumble recovery!

Thanks for mentioning Ratliffe here. He made the play from start to finish, just like he told Tee he was about to. Pushed the guard into the backfield causing Stoerner to trip over his foot, and then recovered the fumble. That play had everything to do with Ratliffe and very little to do with Stoerner.

Reactions: 2 people
Were you at the '92 UF game?

I was at the Arky game.

I remember it being a solid, cold, nasty rain.

I wasnt at 92 UF but the video that made it through to my tv made it look horrific. It was hard to even see the field.

VN Store

Back