Game Thread Lady Vols Softball Team in the Michele Smith Pediatric Cancer Invitationa

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
first up is James Madison

Date: Friday, Feb. 19, 2016
Time: 11:00 a.m. ET

they don't have any links up to listen to the games yet for any of the games

Oklahoma State double header

Date: Friday, Feb. 19, 2016
Time: 1:15 p.m. ET

Fordham

Date: Friday, Feb. 20, 2016
Time: 12:15 p.m. ET

USF

Date: Friday, Feb. 20, 2016
Time:5:00 p.m. ET

De Paul

Date: Friday, Feb. 21, 2016
Time:11:15 ET

sorry there isn't any links up yet to listen or maybe stream a game ,I will try to get them up,if I can remember and check on them :)

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Reactions: 1 person
whats up gule ?they should set the schdule up so we could have watched the Softball team today lol since it is snowing big time right now

I'm sitting watch OU/Tx bball (women) with all the doors & windows open. just finished early dinner/late lunch. you just can keep the snow.... lol

what was an excellent well played game fell apart in the 4th for Tx. (only 4 points) while OU was scoring at will. That girl that was so good against tn must have been hurt, never played...
OU's coach is a hottie!

they don't have any links up to listen to the games yet for any of the games

sorry there isn't any links up yet to listen or maybe stream a game ,I will try to get them up,if I can remember and check on them :)

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Per the end of the broadcast yesterday, there won't be any audio coverage of the next two tournaments. They sent the radio person that does the Sports Animal broadcasts to call the opening series, but he's not going to the next two.

well damn how did that happen DeerPark ? so I assume no radio or nothing then ? I guess we can try and get some coverage from the other schools then

hmmm so I guess Cheek and Hart should be asked if they like softball or not :)

and thanks for the information DeerPark :hi:

well damn how did that happen DeerPark ? so I assume no radio or nothing then ? I guess we can try and get some coverage from the other schools then

Apparently enough people complained about Steven last year, it was send the professional or nothing, and the radio guy couldn't go to the other tournaments.

hmmm so I guess Cheek and Hart should be asked if they like softball or not :)

and thanks for the information DeerPark :hi:

Don't you just love the SEC Network. Seems like there is less coverage now than before the SEC network was formed. Makes one wonder about where all these $$$$ generated by the network go, other than the SEC's network pockets. It it is cheaper to have one sports radio announcer on the air now than cover the "minor" sports broadcast as advertised. Greed win again.

Reactions: 2 people
Right now there is a 5% chance I will attend this. I'm looking flight schedules over now.

Don't you just love the SEC Network. Seems like there is less coverage now than before the SEC network was formed. Makes one wonder about where all these $$$$ generated by the network go, other than the SEC's network pockets. It it is cheaper to have one sports radio announcer on the air now than cover the "minor" sports broadcast as advertised. Greed win again.

That's not accurate at all. This season, there will be nearly three times as many SEC softball games broadcast this year as there were the last year prior to the network and many more online with SEC Network +. The network has brought unprecedented coverage of baseball, softball, gymnastics and other sports that were rarely broadcast nationally.

What you have to understand about these early season tournaments is that if they take place off of an SEC campus, then neither the network or the school can produce the video broadcasts, they don't have the rights. They are welcome to come and do audio, as UT did last weekend.

And it's like I said last year when people complained about Steven doing the limited audio broadcasts in addition to his other duties. If you complain, they'll just cut it off, they won't replace it. That's exactly what happened. They decided after hearing from a few fans that if the full-time radio guy couldn't go, they wouldn't do audio at all.

Reactions: 2 people
Ready for this game against James Madison on Friday should be a great game with us hopefully coming out on top! Not sure who Ralph will pitch first as we could see JMU in a regional...hopefully the LV can get some practice time outside but it's not looking promising

I promise you, no radio at all is better than those excruciatingly bad "broadcasts" from last year. If you are going to do radio, you have to do it--and radio is a listening medium, which means the broadcaster has to talk and give information /constantly/--not one sentence followed by three minutes of silence and then another sentence. If you are too busy to talk, do not undertake it in the first place.

That's not accurate at all. This season, there will be nearly three times as many SEC softball games broadcast this year as there were the last year prior to the network and many more online with SEC Network +. The network has brought unprecedented coverage of baseball, softball, gymnastics and other sports that were rarely broadcast nationally.

What you have to understand about these early season tournaments is that if they take place off of an SEC campus, then neither the network or the school can produce the video broadcasts, they don't have the rights. They are welcome to come and do audio, as UT did last weekend.

And it's like I said last year when people complained about Steven doing the limited audio broadcasts in addition to his other duties. If you complain, they'll just cut it off, they won't replace it. That's exactly what happened. They decided after hearing from a few fans that if the full-time radio guy couldn't go, they wouldn't do audio at all.

What I don't understand is why are there four SEC channels and there is only programing on one. In the past, one could usually get radio or online audio on UT's internet system. I see little progress in the broadcasting of softball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, field and track, swimming, rowing etc. I see a lot of an Alabama fan-Tennessee graduate not the one SEC channel currently on the air. There are more football and basketball game on ESPN3 but not everyone can get ESPN3.

Last edited:
I promise you, no radio at all is better than those excruciatingly bad "broadcasts" from last year. If you are going to do radio, you have to do it--and radio is a listening medium, which means the broadcaster has to talk and give information /constantly/--not one sentence followed by three minutes of silence and then another sentence. If you are too busy to talk, do not undertake it in the first place.

At least one can keep up with the score and what is happening with the pitching. Heaven forbid anyone trying to find out anything about "minor" sports from the KNs.

What don't understand is why are there four SEC channels and there is only programing on one. In the past, one could usually get radio or online audio on UT's internet system. I see little progress in the broadcasting of softball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, field and track, swimming, rowing etc. I see a lot of an Alabama fan-Tennessee graduate not the one SEC channel currently on the air. There are more football and basketball game on ESPN3 but not everyone can get ESPN3.

There is one primary SEC Network Channel and two alternate channels used only when games run over. The other two are not full-time channels and are usually not even active by your cable or satellite provider. When something is moved to the alternate channel, someone at your local cable or satellite head end has to physically turn on the feed for that channel (and in the case of DirectTV and Dish, turn off another channel to free up the bandwidth).

The only time the alternate channels are used for full game broadcasts is on 2-3 Saturdays during football season. The bandwidth is not there for the channels to be used full time for most providers.

Again, you can disagree, but the facts are there are more baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer games on television with the SEC Network than there ever have been before. And I'm talking strictly about televised games, not even bringing in the online broadcasts. This season, there are three times as many televised SEC softball games as there were in the final season before the SEC Network started.

Games that were previously done on school websites with low-quality video streams are now on WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN with TV-quality productions. The number of games done has not changed at most schools.

The amount of radio broadcasts of baseball and softball at Tennessee have not changed. They typically do not start until conference play begins. Last year and this year, there were some early-season games done on the internet only.

And, again, the SEC Network could not even televise these early season tournaments if they wanted to. They can, contractually, only cover games that take place on SEC school campuses.

There is one primary SEC Network Channel and two alternate channels used only when games run over. The other two are not full-time channels and are usually not even active by your cable or satellite provider. When something is moved to the alternate channel, someone at your local cable or satellite head end has to physically turn on the feed for that channel (and in the case of DirectTV and Dish, turn off another channel to free up the bandwidth)...

The bolded above is exactly what Dish advises...that game 'A' is going long, therefore game 'B' is airing on the alternant channel...and the alternant channels have not a thing on them except the Dish logo and canned music.

I have repeatedly emailed both the SEC Network and Dish trying to determine why I can't see the start of the game. The SEC has a canned response referring you to your provider (Dish) and Dish responds by giving me the channel number and instructions for how to push the buttons on my remote to tune to that channel.

Somebody at Dish has this screwed up and they either don't care or aren't listening.

VN Store

Back