3rd Sat of Oct..53-38-7 record

Shakinthefat

Is it time to stop the annual "cigar game" with Alabama? I like the rivalry game but I don't see why we can't rotate the game to another SEC west game. If we had played Miss St vs Alabama this year we are 6-1, top 10 ranking, SEC east champs and playing BAMa Dec. 3rd for the 1st time this season. Thoughts?
Clarification...UT record vs BAMa 38-53-7....thanks Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
When we split divisions in the SEC, I thought then why are we the the only team playing the best in each division every year? No one else plays BAMA and gators every year. I get the tradition, but tradition changed in 92.

Reactions: 2 people
Most of the blue hair will roast you over this, but frankly I see no point in it anymore. To me, the rivalry isn't there anymore like it is with Florida and Georgia, mainly because it's not a very competitive game. I hate that we have to go through them every year just to have a chance to play them again in Atlanta.

Edit: You all realize we would have to beat Bama twice in one year, as it stands, to even get into the playoffs. Saban's Bama... twice... one year... kiffin... butch and debord.... right

Last edited:
NO!!! And if we had won you would feel differently. Buck fama!!!!!!

It is literally retarded to play Bama every year. Especially when it counts against our chances to win the east. We are literally handcuffing ourselves at the beginning of every season playing them. It makes no sense, it's not the rivalry it was after we split into divisions. We are stupid enough to allow it (actually pursued it) and will never try to get out of this game. No team in the east would be for playing Bama every year because they know it would effect their chances of reaching the SECCG. If UT would start taking football seriously we would drop this game immediately.

Asking for this when the Vols are coming out of our Dark Ages and reestablishing ourselves, while Bama is enjoying its most successful run in its history (and that's saying something), makes the suggestion ill-timed.

You don't quit in life just because things are hard. You buckle up and get at it.

If you want to end this annual rivalry game, try suggesting that when we're up and winning against them year after year.

That's how I see it, anyway. For me: keep it. Bama's our #1 rival, always will be as long as the college football landscape is anything like it has been the past 50 years.

Reactions: 8 people
Asking for this when the Vols are coming out of our Dark Ages and reestablishing ourselves, while Bama is enjoying its most successful run in its history (and that's saying something), makes the suggestion ill-timed.

You don't quit in life just because things are hard. You buckle up and get at it.

If you want to end this annual rivalry game, try suggesting that when we're up and winning against them year after year.

That's how I see it, anyway. For me: keep it. Bama's our #1 rival, always will be as long as the college football landscape is anything like it has been the past 50 years.

But, it's nothing like the past 50 years. There are no breaks anymore. Bama and Florida used to be the biggest tests to us every year. Now every game is a test and our players making it through them is just luck. Bama will not be "down" again this decade and probably half the next, if kiffin stays.

It's time to squash it and play them in the rotation and the yearly SECCG. Until that happens, we'll not see a playoff run.

I think the OP is thinking strategically and not necessarily tactically. If the reason UT continued to play Bama was because of the 3rd Saturday tradition, most UT fans (and probably Bama fans as well) don't even know what the 3rd Saturday means. So...what's the point?

The SEC realigned for the '92 season - when George Bush Sr. was president (24 YEARS AGO). With that alignment, UF and UGA should have become our biggest games of the year. I agree tradition dies hard, but common sense should have its place in the sun on occasion.

Reactions: 3 people
To be the best you have to beat the best. I f you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch. Which one are you OP?

Reactions: 1 person
Bama is always going to be there. The bottom line is if we can't beat Bama...we don't belong in the playoffs. To be the man you gotta BEAT the man.

Reactions: 5 people
I can see all the young bucks are out in force today. Shouldn't you be in class? Tradition is what college football is all about. Do you hear Ohio St. wanting to cancel Michigan? It is up to us to stop the bleeding not an SEC scheduler. Those of us who witnessed great games in the late 60's and 70's know what this tradition means.

Reactions: 7 people
They've won ten in a row and are still only up 15 in the overall series. This series has always been cyclical and will return that way after Saban is gone

Reactions: 3 people
Bama's longest streak against us is 11. This rivalry has been a back and forth of streaking against the other, so there really isn't any difference right now. We'll beat em next year. Or maybe the year after. And then we'll do it 4 or 5 times in row and we'll be on the other end of the rivalry. Stop whining.

At 53-38-7 it might be awhile before that can be suggested.

VN Store

Back