3rd Sat of Oct..53-38-7 record

I can see all the young bucks are out in force today. Shouldn't you be in class? Tradition is what college football is all about. Do you hear Ohio St. wanting to cancel Michigan? It is up to us to stop the bleeding not an SEC scheduler. Those of us who witnessed great games in the late 60's and 70's know what this tradition means.
Guess there is no common sense with SEC scheduler this year.... Fla, Ga, Tex a&I'm and BAMa back to back. Past tradition we had a bye week prior to BAMa, that tradition is gone.
By the way Ohio St and Michigan are in the same division.

Reactions: 2 people
strategically, yes we should be rotating like everyone else. i don't think anyone questions the historical precedent it brings, but why put yourself at a tactical disadvantage every season. Also to the poster that referenced the Ohio st VS Michigan game, they are on the same side of the division. so the answer to your statement would be NO they would absolutely not want to play each other every season if they didnt have to, they would much rather wait to meet in the championship game. if the SEC wants to keep the rivalry bring Alabama east and put mizzou in the west where the geographically belong. otherwise bring Auburn east as it should be and make the east more competitive than it is now.

Reactions: 1 person
this thread is absurd. TN should not back down from playing any school. stop putting the armpit of the south on a pedestal. we've beat them more than any other school. we will again, and ur fed by the media too much if you think its impossible dec 3rd

Is it time to stop the annual "cigar game" with Alabama? I like the rivalry game but I don't see why we can't rotate the game to another SEC west game. If we had played Miss St vs Alabama this year we are 6-1, top 10 ranking, SEC east champs and playing BAMa Dec. 3rd for the 1st time this season. Thoughts?

Go away scaredy cat

Is it time to stop the annual "cigar game" with Alabama? I like the rivalry game but I don't see why we can't rotate the game to another SEC west game. If we had played Miss St vs Alabama this year we are 6-1, top 10 ranking, SEC east champs and playing BAMa Dec. 3rd for the 1st time this season. Thoughts?

I never thought I would say this, but I agree. The games I've been to... We've lost 29-9, 41-10, and 49-10. It's not a rivalry. It's not fun to watch. It's lost the "it" factor.

It's been said 1,000,000 times. The REAL solution to all of this is to move Alabama and Auburn to the east in exchange for Vandy and Mizzou. At that point, you eliminate the cross division rivalries in the SEC and play a true round robin. That does several things.

1). You equalize the east-west balance of power in the SEC.
2). You preserve most of the traditional rivalries in the SEC (mainly TTSIO and Auburn vs UGA).
3). It increases the frequency of teams from the east/west playing each other. In a 4 year span, a team plays a home/away with every other team in the conference.
4). You make the Divisions make more sense geographically (mainly Missouri to the west). FWIW, Nashville and Tuscaloosa are withing a few miles of east other when you look at longitude lines...

Many people have mentioned this model for many years, it's time for Birmingham to seriously consider it.

It's been said 1,000,000 times. The REAL solution to all of this is to move Alabama and Auburn to the east in exchange for Vandy and Mizzou. At that point, you eliminate the cross division rivalries in the SEC and play a true round robin. That does several things.

1). You equalize the east-west balance of power in the SEC.

Wut?

All that does is swing the power all the way over to the East. You'd have a grand total of one team in the West who has an SECCG win to their name.

Wut?

All that does is swing the power all the way over to the East. You'd have a grand total of one team in the West who has an SECCG win to their name.

And??

The idea is about moving the conference forward in a productive way, not past history.

The main reason this hasn't happened is UGA and UF don't want to play Alabama every year while making Tennessee play the toughest team in the west every season. For the past 10 years, that's been an automatic +1 for those two teams.

And??

The idea is about moving the conference forward in a productive way, not past history.

The main reason this hasn't happened is UGA and UF don't want to play Alabama every year while making Tennessee play the toughest team in the west every season. For the past 10 years, that's been an automatic +1 for those two teams.

You said it would equalize the divisions. That's absurd.

But to the point above, no one was complaining from the mid-90s until about 2008.

My idea is to eliminate cross division rivals only for who makes it to the SECCG. Go ahead and play them, if it is best to do so, but only divisional games count for who goes to Atlanta.

this thread is absurd. TN should not back down from playing any school. stop putting the armpit of the south on a pedestal. we've beat them more than any other school. we will again, and ur fed by the media too much if you think its impossible dec 3rd

Always thought of Alabama as the taint of America.

It's sad when people want to quit playing Bama. Where the hell is your dignity?

What you should be doing is bashing UT coaches for not doing what they are supposed to do, Beat Bama. But instead, let's just lower our standards and quit. Makes me sick.

Florida was always just a rivalry of convenience. We HAD to beat them to win the east. It's not a real rivalry for UT since Spurrier departed and even back then it was sort of manufactured. And believe me nobody in the 1990s said "hey let's change divisions so we don't have to play Florida every year". As fans we wanted to beat their brains in. And certainly no one was talking about not playing Bama when we beat them every year.

Bama is the team that you should pray every night falls into the abyss. Bama is our real rivalry and the reason so many fans are not happy with the state of this program. It's UTs job to beat Bama. Fulmer taught this. Nothing else really matters. Until we get coaches that beat Saban, then our football program is really just a very good also-ran. Always the brides made and never the bride.

You should think about this every day of your lives. You should want the very best for your football team. And the very best means Bama fans having thoughts of suicide.

Last edited:
Rick Flair is extremely angry & disgusted over this post!!!!! Everyone on planet earth knows to be the man you gotta beat the man...........wooooooooooh!!!!!!!

We kind of sound like Vandy fans here. Obviously, the way it currently is set up makes in inherently unbalanced. But prior to Saban getting to Alabama, we were kicking their tail year after year. Were their fans complaining that they had to play us every year? Actually, they probably weren't complaining. We need to figure out a way to get better rather than hoping things are done to make it easier on us.

We will take Bama out of our schedule when they wan't out after we beat them year after year !!
VOLS aren't pansies to give up after getting beat. That is unAmerican. We will get better, beat their sorry asses over and over , watch Bama moan and cry about playing UT every year .. then we will agree to it with a final CIGAR !!!

The only way to be truly fair is to get rid of the permanent cross divisional rival. Ole Miss plays Vandy every year and State plays Ky. Tenn plays Bama and Fla plays LSU, how is that balanced? Let everybody play everybody on a rotating basis and it will even out. Some years will be tough, some not as tough.

Reactions: 3 people
But, it's nothing like the past 50 years. There are no breaks anymore. Bama and Florida used to be the biggest tests to us every year. Now every game is a test and our players making it through them is just luck. Bama will not be "down" again this decade and probably half the next, if kiffin stays.

It's time to squash it and play them in the rotation and the yearly SECCG. Until that happens, we'll not see a playoff run.

If thats the case your not gonna see the playoff regardless of whether you squash the annual meeting. They are at the end of every road you are trying to reach. If UT wants to reach those goals they have to step up to another level. Dodging that game in the regular season does nothing.

The series has a history of swings in both directions. The pendulum has gone back in favor of them. Before this we beat them 10 of the previous 12 years. I'm sure they were wailing and gnashing as well. Things will change and we will get on top again. But this is the best streak of bama football since the 70s. It's not as if we're the only team losing to them.

VN Store

Back