3rd Sat of Oct..53-38-7 record

My view - we should keep Bama as a permanent opponent, but only use Div records to determine who plays in Atl. Overall SEC record could be second tiebreaker after head to head.

Reactions: 1 person
The only way to be truly fair is to get rid of the permanent cross divisional rival. Ole Miss plays Vandy every year and State plays Ky. Tenn plays Bama and Fla plays LSU, how is that balanced? Let everybody play everybody on a rotating basis and it will even out. Some years will be tough, some not as tough.

Good post.

Unfortunately, even if you do those things, there are still ways for Birmingham to monkey with the schedule to make things "more fair" for teams from the Yellowhammer State...

I'm taking about home and away scheduling, bye weeks, when you get to play other teams etc. There is more than one way for the league office to play favorites....

The only way to be truly fair is to get rid of the permanent cross divisional rival. Ole Miss plays Vandy every year and State plays Ky. Tenn plays Bama and Fla plays LSU, how is that balanced? Let everybody play everybody on a rotating basis and it will even out. Some years will be tough, some not as tough.

This, to me, is what it boils down to. I don't care what the old heads at Alabama and Tennessee want. This is a conference issue, not a Bama or UT one. Do away with the permanent cross-division rivalries and rotate all cross-divisional games. They also need to bring Auburn east and send Missouri west to at least somewhat balance the power between the divisions. If the Iron Bowl and TSIO get axed in the process, so be it. Other rivalries will emerge in their place and the earth will keep spinning.

Hell, we played Auburn every year from the 50's until the split. Things change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The series has a history of swings in both directions. The pendulum has gone back in favor of them. Before this we beat them 10 of the previous 12 years. I'm sure they were wailing and gnashing as well. Things will change and we will get on top again. But this is the best streak of bama football since the 70s. It's not as if we're the only team losing to them.

If Ole Piss can beat Bama then we are without excuse. Get your damn football program in order and just win the games put in front of you.

Good post.

Unfortunately, even if you do those things, there are still ways for Birmingham to monkey with the schedule to make things "more fair" for teams from the Yellowhammer State...

I'm taking about home and away scheduling, bye weeks, when you get to play other teams etc. There is more than one way for the league office to play favorites....

Expound on this. Do you believe that this has already happened or is currently happening? Or are you just speculating that it would happen in the future?

Expound on this. Do you believe that this has already happened or is currently happening? Or are you just speculating that it would happen in the future?

If the SEC was headquartered in Nashville then people would say the same thing about UT.

Just win the games.

The record would be 38-53-7. The other way would indicate we have the better record.

This right here.

But I personally don't want to get rid of our biggest rival. College football goes in waves. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down.

Good post.

The home office has already given 10essee the next 5 games off.

SEC teams having to play another SEC team with a bye:
Florida - 3
Georgia - 1
Alabama - 2
10essee - 0

Yes. I believe that in the past the front office in Birmingham has played favorites with certain teams to improve their chances of getting to the SECCG and the NCG.

Until they played the Vols this year, when was the last time bama played the #1 team in the east outside of the SECCG?

Yes. I believe that in the past the front office in Birmingham has played favorites with certain teams to improve their chances of getting to the SECCG and the NCG.

Until they played the Vols this year, when was the last time bama played the #1 team in the east outside of the SECCG?

Of course that's assuming that UT finishes #1. I think they will, but it's still an assumption.

Given that rematches in the SECCG are a rarity, it's not often that a team will be good enough to win its division AND play the #1 team from the other division during the regular season.

For Bama, it would be 2010 at South Carolina.

Of course that's assuming that UT finishes #1. I think they will, but it's still an assumption.

Given that rematches in the SECCG are a rarity, it's not often that a team will be good enough to win its division AND play the #1 team from the other division during the regular season.

For Bama, it would be 2010 at South Carolina.

Last year Bama played at UGA when UGA was #8 in the country. UGA was undefeated at the time. UGA was SUPPOSED to be the winner of the SECe. Nobody saw UF coming and I personally believe UFs success last year was entirely sparked by UTs blunder. And if UGA could have beaten UF and if UT had done it's job and beaten UF then UGA would have won the east.it's really not Bamas fault for fixing the schedule. The only team in the east that was worth a darn the last 5 years was UGA and USC was a somewhat close second.

Last edited:
We should keep playing them...its tradition and thats college football. However, Spurrier was right, divisional champions should be determined by divisional records

This whole 'rivalry' game has become an archaic model. Which means more? Beating the Tide on the 3rd Saturday in October, or beating them for all the marbles at the SECCG?

Let's rotate. Never understood people's desire to cling to such trivial things as important. As it stands, we are guaranteed to play them at least once. They'll be loaded and by default, we have to slay the dragon twice. Or, we have a rotation. We see them in the SECCG and only have to beat them once to advance to the playoffs. Not sure what the down side of this concept really is.

I mean come on, we're Tennessee. We're not a true blue blood. We think we are, but we're second tier at best. We should milk every advantage we can get to survive and advance, particularly in a 12 game regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It is literally retarded to play Bama every year. Especially when it counts against our chances to win the east. We are literally handcuffing ourselves at the beginning of every season playing them. It makes no sense, it's not the rivalry it was after we split into divisions. We are stupid enough to allow it (actually pursued it) and will never try to get out of this game. No team in the east would be for playing Bama every year because they know it would effect their chances of reaching the SECCG. If UT would start taking football seriously we would drop this game immediately.

I agree, EXCEPT we also get to play Vandy, UK and MIZZO every year! (If it hadnt been for dools and blonde MIZZO WOULDVE NEVER won the east!)Would ANY team in the west trade that for any 3 of their west opponents! Hells yes they would!!!!

VN Store

Back