Sporting News: Tennessee best case and worst case

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I prefer the best case.

25 Tennessee

Best case: Quinten Dormady or Jarrett Guarantano seizes control as starting quarterback in a convincing Labor Day victory against Georgia Tech. The defensive line flourishes under Brady Hoke, and John Kelly is a star at running back. The Vols knock off rivals Florida and Georgia in September and, despite a loss at Alabama in Tuscaloosa,*surge back to the SEC championship game for the first time since 2007 with a 10-2 record.

Worst case: Georgia Tech beats the Vols on a last-second field goal, and the panic in Knoxville doesn't stop after losses to Florida and Georgia. Tennessee is shocked by South Carolina at home and another loss to Alabama gives the Vols a 2-5 start. The fight to stay bowl eligible is on, and that turns up the heat on Butch Jones.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...sc-michigan/8kna6f7zeidx1rt1fmwnwcrje/slide/1

Reactions: 8 people
If the worst case does happen and we're 2-5. Butch had better get the Dooley treatment and fired before the season ends.

Here's to hoping for the best case scenario to happen, and not the worst.

Reactions: 17 people
Their worst case is waaaaay worse than their best case (best case should be better).

IMO, no way the worst case happens. Butch Jones teams don't panic or reel.

Reactions: 4 people
me too best case..that worst case made me fall out of my chair..losing to USCjr back to back..that would more than turn the heat up on CBJ...that would be a nightmare scenario for us...hoping for best...GBO

Reactions: 1 person
If Dooley was still our HC, the worst case would definitely be a big possibility.

Reactions: 5 people
I think that their "best case" scenario is very likely, almost guaranteed. Just another example of not knowing the roster or football in general.

Reactions: 2 people
Their worst case is waaaaay worse than their best case (best case should be better).

IMO, no way the worst case happens. Butch Jones teams don't panic or reel.

This is what they view as realistic best and worst cases. That's why the best case isn't better. For the record, I think 10-2 with an SECC appearance, based on last year's underwhelming performance, would be a stellar case scenario.

I'm going to play the other side on your second comment as well. I would definitely agree that although Butch's teams underperform at times, I've never watched them just give up the way Dooley's did. However, if that scenario played out (i.e. losses to Tech, FL, and GA), all bets would be off. The pressure on Butch would be tremendous and the team would feel that, too. Who knows how they'd respond in that scenario?

me too best case..that worst case made me fall out of my chair..losing to USCjr back to back..that would more than turn the heat up on CBJ...that would be a nightmare scenario for us...hoping for best...GBO

It would have been back to back for USC last year except for Foreman's fumble recover in 2015 on USC's last drive when I believe they were inside our 20 yd line.

I actually like SN's worst case scenarios for UGA, UF, and Bama.

UGA
Worst case: Eason vs. Jake Fromm becomes a controversy after a shaky opener at App State. Notre Dame blasts the Bulldogs in South Bend, and Tennessee takes control of the division at the end of the month.

UF
Worst case: The suspension takes its toll in a blowout loss to Michigan. Tennessee beats the Gators in The Swamp two weeks later, and LSU beats Florida in another heated contest on Oct. 8. Georgia hammers down the Gators, and so does Florida State. Florida limps into a bowl game with a 7-5 record.

Bama
Worst case: Florida State beats Alabama in the opener, giving the Crimson Tide back-to-back losses against ACC powerhouses. Saban rights the ship as usual, and the Tide don’t lose again until Tennessee upsets them on a last-second field goal on Oct. 21. Auburn then wins the SEC West at Alabama’s expense, giving Saban his first three-loss season since 2010. It turns into a four-loss when Jim Harbaugh and Michigan beat the Tide in the Citrus Bowl.

Reactions: 7 people
I actually like SN's worst case scenarios for UGA, UF, and Bama.

UGA
Worst case: Eason vs. Jake Fromm becomes a controversy after a shaky opener at App State. Notre Dame blasts the Bulldogs in South Bend, and Tennessee takes control of the division at the end of the month.

UF
Worst case: The suspension takes its toll in a blowout loss to Michigan. Tennessee beats the Gators in The Swamp two weeks later, and LSU beats Florida in another heated contest on Oct. 8. Georgia hammers down the Gators, and so does Florida State. Florida limps into a bowl game with a 7-5 record.

Bama
Worst case: Florida State beats Alabama in the opener, giving the Crimson Tide back-to-back losses against ACC powerhouses. Saban rights the ship as usual, and the Tide don’t lose again until Tennessee upsets them on a last-second field goal on Oct. 21. Auburn then wins the SEC West at Alabama’s expense, giving Saban his first three-loss season since 2010. It turns into a four-loss when Jim Harbaugh and Michigan beat the Tide in the Citrus Bowl.

Yeah, there's no Cody on this year's Tide team to block the field goal attempt.

I think it's funny he/she didn't even recognize what the best case scenario is.

We have the best Oline in America and WHOOP ALAMAMBI.

Sure seemed happy to go all the way to failure though.

Last edited:
I think that their "best case" scenario is very likely, almost guaranteed. Just another example of not knowing the roster or football in general.

10-2 is "almost guaranteed"? What contributes to that viewpoint? Nothing about the eventual outcome is guaranteed this season, or any future season for that matter. I'm all for the best case scenario materializing (it would be great), but I have a 'wait and see' attitude at this point.

Nationdom is like a fisherman casting his net out in the middle of the ocean.

He has already caught all he can from the concentrated schools of fish closer in to shore, so now he's out in the deeper water. Doesn't pull nearly as many in, just the ones who haven't been around enough to know about his net.

:)

VN Store

Back