1993 Tennessee Team

No matter how you slice it, all the great UT teams have had great QB play. Kelly 1989, Shuler, Peyton, Martin, Clausen. Guys like Shuler were the difference makers, and had talent around them. I still remember his first UGA game, which was his coming out party, that started our long run against UGA.

I think we've got 2 QB's who have the chance to be top shelf like these guys...along with supporting talent if coaches do their jobs. Saw yesterday that one service rates QD as 13th best QB in SEC, with an upside to 9th. Granted, he's an unknown commodity along with JG, but if you read the SDS article posted on Malone, here is what he says about QD...“Quinten is very smart, he’s real savvy in the pocket. When he throws the ball, it’s basically a perfect ball almost every time." I'm telling you, we're going to win more games this year than people expect.

Reactions: 1 person
It was so disappointing to see us lead Bama the entire game on the road just to see them score a TD and a two point conversion in the final seconds to record a tie.

That 2 point conversion was maddening. When David Palmer came in at QB, the whole work knew a bootleg was coming.

My first season in the student section. Will always remember that one (UGA in particular)

The summer football doldrums have me watching some old games. I had forgotten what a fun season 1993 was. There were 19 players on that team that would be drafted, but of those, Heath Shuler and Charlie Garner were special. I understand Shuler didn't perform in the NFL like most would have expected (I would argue much of it was out of his control), but I would say he was almost the perfect college quarterback. Then Charlie Garner was simply an amazing running back. On practically any other team in the country James "Little Man" Stewart and Aaron Hayden would have been first string running backs that year.

Of course Heath went pro that year, which was a huge distraction at the Citrus Bowl against Penn State. A year later I was in Bryson City and met Heath's aunt. I asked her about his decision to turn pro and she said that everyone wanted him to stay. Heath had asked her husband at Christmas what he thought about going pro and so he then asked Heath "who came in second in the Heisman last year?" Heath answered, " I have no idea" and his uncle responded, "no one remembers".

A good game to check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azaTRGs_reA&t=6167s

Good post. Heath was outstanding, incredibly talented and fun to watch. And I couldn't agree more about Garner. He, and Little Man Stewart, often get overlooked and both were fantastic running backs for us. Imho, Garner and Chuck Webb were probably the two best, most talented running backs I've seen at Tennessee, followed closely by Lewis and Henry.

Will always remember the reverse on the punt return against Louisville that Nilo took to the house that was a fun year.

Funny thing about that play is, the Vols faked the reverse to another player going the other way and if they had given it to him, he would have scored too.

Schnellenberger was coaching at Louisville and they were ranked around #20 and he ran his mouth all week about how they were as good as Tennessee......they weren't.

It was a fun year and a good team. However, according to standards of some on this board, because it didn't result in a championship, it has to be a disappointing year.:no:

Way, way better.

1998 team was much better than 93 as well.

Been watching Vols since mid 60s. I'd say 90-91 were two most talented teams in that time with 98, 97, 99, 89, 01, and 93 close behind. But, the 85 team is still the favorite of many of us old guys.

But, with all of that said, if these teams could all play each other, the 98 team would win. That team just refused to lose.

Last edited:
That 2 point conversion was maddening. When David Palmer came in at QB, the whole work knew a bootleg was coming.

The entire streak from '86 to '94 was crazy. The current streak and UT's 7 year run that started in '95 were both one team being way better than the other with a competitive game or two sprinkled in. But that 9 year stretch from the mid-80s to the mid-90s featured some completely crazy endings that all bounced Bama's way, particularly from '90 to '94. Those were some really great Tennessee teams that were simply snakebit against Alabama.

Reactions: 3 people
The summer football doldrums have me watching some old games. I had forgotten what a fun season 1993 was. There were 19 players on that team that would be drafted, but of those, Heath Shuler and Charlie Garner were special. I understand Shuler didn't perform in the NFL like most would have expected (I would argue much of it was out of his control), but I would say he was almost the perfect college quarterback. Then Charlie Garner was simply an amazing running back. On practically any other team in the country James "Little Man" Stewart and Aaron Hayden would have been first string running backs that year.

Of course Heath went pro that year, which was a huge distraction at the Citrus Bowl against Penn State. A year later I was in Bryson City and met Heath's aunt. I asked her about his decision to turn pro and she said that everyone wanted him to stay. Heath had asked her husband at Christmas what he thought about going pro and so he then asked Heath "who came in second in the Heisman last year?" Heath answered, " I have no idea" and his uncle responded, "no one remembers".

Saw that team play Florida in the Swamp. My Dad and me. Poured in the 4th Q. Made a nice comeback but gave them too much of a lead and ran out of time

I remember that season well. I was 14 and had my first g/f. She was tall, blonde, and liked to watch UT and Cowboys football. Of course, she only watched the games because she thought Heath Shuler and Troy Aikman was cute.

He may have built it but, don't know if he could have won with it. College football was changing and he wasn't. Ironically the same thing happened to Fulmer at the end of his tenure.

Advantage for Fulmer was him allowing his coordinators free latitude which in turn allowed for long term stability. Majors would get anxious after a season. He also peeked under the hood frequently and complained loudly...leading to frequent turnover.

The entire streak from '86 to '94 was crazy. The current streak and UT's 7 year run that started in '95 were both one team being way better than the other with a competitive game or two sprinkled in. But that 9 year stretch from the mid-80s to the mid-90s featured some completely crazy endings that all bounced Bama's way, particularly from '90 to '94. Those were some really great Tennessee teams that were simply snakebit against Alabama.

Then, when Bama started reeling because of sanctions, CSS took its place!

Just couldn't win for losing.

He may have built it but, don't know if he could have won with it. College football was changing and he wasn't. Ironically the same thing happened to Fulmer at the end of his tenure.

Majors gets unfair and unwarranted assessment of being too conservative and 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It is just simply untrue. He had gun-slingers that threw the ball all over the field. Don't forget that Fulmer was OC so place the blame on him too if you make that wrongful judgement.

Majors was on his way to winning a Natty at UT and would have done it sooner than 1998. He knew how to beat Florida and Bama (occasionally). I feel that if Majors would have stayed on board, Spurrier wouldn't have gained quite the foothold in the East that he did. Just my opinion.

You can say that Majors was old school in a lot of his philosophies, but innovative in others. He was one of the first coaches to open things up with the wide receiver positions (WRU) from just the traditional idea of just a split end or wide out approach to the receiver position. One of the first offenses I remember that got the receiver out of the 3 point stance (like a tight end) and put them out wide and a more open part of passing game that featured explosive athletes that could run and catch, verses just primarily blockers that occasionally caught the ball. He did believe in running the ball too though, which still and always will win games more times than it doesn't.............

Reactions: 2 people
I do remember at one time before '98 Majors publicly stated he would have had a NC by then.

It's so ironic pertaining to the three and s cloud of dust. Fulmer was his OC and by the end of his tenure as HC, that's how he was!

Fulmer > Majors. One is a first ballot HOF member and the other is not eligible for the HOF due to his winning pct being too low. Fulmer won two outright SEC Titles and Majors won 2 outright and one tri-championship. Further, in the two outright titles won by Majors, Florida had a better conference record but was ineligible for cheating. Also, under the old system (no championship game) Fulmer would have had 3 outright titles.

Majors did a good job at UT but he was never gonna win a national title at that point in his career. He was a total train wreck when he went back to Pitt. He was too hard headed and set in his ways to maintain any consistency by that point. The entire coaching staff was going to leave UT if Majors had been retained after the 92 season.

It was time for him to go.

Last edited:
I was in the Navy on a ship in California on duty. Couldn't leave the ship to watch the game so I watched the ESPN bottom line as it went from 10-9 to 17-9 to 17-17.

Couldn't believe it.

I was in a hotel room watching the game. My son was in the neonatal intensive care unit at Huntsville hospital; in other words I was watching the game rather than hanging out at the hospital.

Been watching Vols since mid 60s. I'd say 90-91 were two most talented teams in that time with 98, 97, 99, 89, 01, and 93 close behind. But, the 85 team is still the favorite of many of us old guys.

But, with all of that said, if these teams could all play each other, the 98 team would win. That team just refused to lose.

The 85 team is so well loved because they put Tennessee back in the conversation. The 1989 team was good as well 11-1 and tied Bama, Auburn for share of the SEC title. Vols beat Auburn, Auburn beat Bama and Bama beat the Vols as each teams only loss.

Shuler had a foot injury that never completely healed. Pretty much ended his pro career.

Fulmer owes Majors entirely for his career. Period

Fulmer does owe Majors for giving him the chance to show that he was a Hall of Fame coach. He would have been a success wherever he had been. It was easier at Tennessee because he had helped Majors build the program back up. Fulmer, when given the chance, took it to the next level that Majors had been unable to reach.

Both are Tennessee legends and I appreciate them both. Was really just gigging you Fulmer haters who don't want to acknowledge the great heights he took the program to.

There is no doubt, the program would have been much much better off over the past 10 years, if Fulmer had not been fired.

VN Store

Back