1993 Tennessee Team

Funny thing about that play is, the Vols faked the reverse to another player going the other way and if they had given it to him, he would have scored too.

Schnellenberger was coaching at Louisville and they were ranked around #20 and he ran his mouth all week about how they were as good as Tennessee......they weren't.

It was a fun year and a good team. However, according to standards of some on this board, because it didn't result in a championship, it has to be a disappointing year.:no:

Just went back and watched the highlights of that game. Louisville came in ranked 13th. Tennessee put it on em that day.

Reactions: 1 person
Steve Martin.gif

Had no idea this thread would turn into a debate about Fulmer and Majors

Fulmer may have coached a NC but he also put this program on a 10 year skid. I think Mike Hamilton was a disaster but if Fulmer had done his job Hamilton would have never been a factor.

Really? In Fulmer's last 5 years, the Vols played in 2 SEC Championship Games and 3 New Year's Day Bowls. And, he had a top 5 recruiting class on the line when he was fired.

And you blame him for the Kiffin and Dooley years? :loco:

Reactions: 2 people
Just went back and watched the highlights of that game. Louisville came in ranked 13th. Tennessee put it on em that day.

I remember I tried to sneak in a 12-pack of beer for that game...it didn't work. But, we got the Jack Daniels in.

Really? In Fulmer's last 5 years, the Vols played in 2 SEC Championship Games and 3 New Year's Day Bowls. And, he had a top 5 recruiting class on the line when he was fired.

And you blame him for the Kiffin and Dooley years? :loco:

Plus two aweful losing season adding to the one backed into SECCG.

Plus two aweful losing season adding to the one backed into SECCG.

According to your logic, Majors backed into all 3 of his SEC Championships.

It still remains, even in Fulmer's worst 5 year stretch, he went to 3 New Years' Day Bowls and 2 SECCGs. We haven't sniffed that since.

That 93 Louisville game was a great indicator of how talented those teams were. They just overwhelmed the #13 team in the country. It was fun throughout the 90s, going to the stadium knowing the Vols were gonna win.

That 93 Louisville game was a great indicator of how talented those teams were. They just overwhelmed the #13 team in the country. It was fun throughout the 90s, going to the stadium knowing the Vols were gonna win.

Kind of like the Outback Bowl vs. Northwestern!

According to your logic, Majors backed into all 3 of his SEC Championships.

It still remains, even in Fulmer's worst 5 year stretch, he went to 3 New Years' Day Bowls and 2 SECCGs. We haven't sniffed that since.

Oh, he did. Especially with Fla on probation in 90.

Wonder what it would have been like had there been a SECCG back then.

Oh, he did. Especially with Fla on probation in 90.

Wonder what it would have been like had there been a SECCG back then.

FL was also on probation in '85. If there was one where UT backed into it was that one. In 1990, UT whooped the Gators.

FL was also on probation in '85. If there was one where UT backed into it was that one. In 1990, UT whooped the Gators.

In 1990, Tennessee beat Florida 45-3 in Knoxville. However, the Vols ended the season with a conference record of 5-1-1 while Florida was 6-1. Florida had the better record but they were on probation in 1990 also and thus the Vols were SEC Champs.

In 1985, the Vols and the Gators both finished 5-1 in conference play but the Gators were again on probation. Vols declared champs.

In 1989, the Vols ended in a 3 way tie for first with Auburn and Alabama.

All of Majors SEC Championships carry an asterisk.

In 1990, Tennessee beat Florida 45-3 in Knoxville. However, the Vols ended the season with a conference record of 5-1-1 while Florida was 6-1. Florida had the better record but they were on probation in 1990 also and thus the Vols were SEC Champs.

In 1985, the Vols and the Gators both finished 5-1 in conference play but the Gators were again on probation. Vols declared champs.

In 1989, the Vols ended in a 3 way tie for first with Auburn and Alabama.

All of Majors SEC Championships carry an asterisk.

But in '85 the Gators beat the Vols. In '90, UF may have had a better record, but a 45-3 arse whoopin' sort of puts any question to bed.

Until watching that highlight film, I didn't realize Colquitt actually played quite a bit.

Another note: Didn't know Shular had bad shoulder in the Fla game. Wonder just how much that affected the out come.

Should have had Bama!!

Until watching that highlight film, I didn't realize Colquitt actually played quite a bit.

Another note: Didn't know Shular had bad shoulder in the Fla game. Wonder just how much that affected the out come.

Should have had Bama!!

That's why '94 was looking promising. Great running backs, good receiver, a kick-ass O-line. Colquitt would have been just fine in that system.

But in '85 the Gators beat the Vols. In '90, UF may have had a better record, but a 45-3 arse whoopin' sort of puts any question to bed.

Technically, the Gators would have been SEC champions if they had not been on probation. However, it would be foolish for them to brag about that after the butt whipping the Vols put on them that year.

Absent a death, that is one of the saddest stories in Tennessee football history. The guy worked hard and waited patiently 4 years for that opportunity. Handled it like a true Volunteer.

I may be wrong but I think he was still drafted in the late rounds.

Last I heard he had worked in the NFL as a scout and in the front office of several teams.

He was Ole Miss's recruiting coordinator in 98 and worked for the Seahawks after that. Don't have anything after 2004. He was busy doing something sports related when he used to appear on Swain's and Ainge's shows.

VN Store

Back