2015 Vols Injury Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as it pertains to Jason Croom. Will the knee scope potentially lead to another surgery and if it doesn't does anyone know the time frame to come back from having your knee scoped. I ask because he is one of my favorite players as a GA native and he really seemed to figure it all out towards the end of the season and played great.

Reactions: 1 person
Just curious as it pertains to Jason Croom. Will the knee scope potentially lead to another surgery and if it doesn't does anyone know the time frame to come back from having your knee scoped. I ask because he is one of my favorite players as a GA native and he really seemed to figure it all out towards the end of the season and played great.

he is out at least 4 weeks. could be more if additional surgery is required

While the injuries to Gaulden and McNeil cannot be overlooked I think a big difference this year is we will be very good to elite at rushing the passer and getting to the Quarterback which will help our secondary a lot

The first thing my wife said when I told her we had switched to Nike: "Those boys are going to get hurt." She was a college soccer player and swears that the Nike cleats etc. caused a bunch of injuries. FWIW

Reactions: 2 people
2014 Rivals Ranking
Tennessee - #5
Georgia - #7

2015 Rivals Ranking
Tennessee - #5
Georgia - #6

It's working well for them.

Uhhhh... he's talking about this next class not previous ones...

The first thing my wife said when I told her we had switched to Nike: "Those boys are going to get hurt." She was a college soccer player and swears that the Nike cleats etc. caused a bunch of injuries. FWIW

What the...

Meme1.jpg

Yeah, I counted twelve other schools with about the same number of serious injuries as the Vols: BYU, UCF, Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, Wyoming, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Old Dominion, Oregon, USF, and Vandy.

So we're beyond the average, but by no means unique this fall.

Worst case of all seems to be Illinois: 2 out for season, 4 more out indefinitely, and another out for at least 2 games.

And what the heck is going on at Kentucky? Not injuries, but 5 different players have left the team since fall camp started? They got some disgruntlement goin' on up there?

I play collegiate soccer and I've had the same mercurials since senior year in high school and still practice in them. I'm a sophomore now. I had a pair of Adidas that I liked as far as performance goes, but the bottom tore out 3/4 of the way through the season freshman year. I only wore those for games. And I redshirted.

NCAA Football Injuries College Football Injury Report Betting Lines, Odds & NCAAF College Free Picks - DonBest.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_sponsorships

So per these links

48 schools with 3 or more injuries. 32 are Nike or 66%
34 schools with 4 or more injuries. 22 are Nike or 64%
12 schools with 6 or more injuries. Half 6 are Nike!

Maybe something to this? The link shows that their are 89 (counting UT not listed) schools wearing Nike gear with 48 or 54% showing 3 injuries or more. before the season even starts!

NCAA Football Injuries College Football Injury Report Betting Lines, Odds & NCAAF College Free Picks - DonBest.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_sponsorships

So per these links

48 schools with 3 or more injuries. 32 are Nike or 66%
34 schools with 4 or more injuries. 22 are Nike or 64%
12 schools with 6 or more injuries. Half 6 are Nike!

Maybe something to this? The link shows that their are 89 (counting UT not listed) schools wearing Nike gear with 48 or 54% showing 3 injuries or more. before the season even starts!

If 60%-70% of the schools in that population use Nike gear, it wouldn't be at all surprising or ominous to see the percentages you found.

If 54% of schools using Adidas or UnderArmour gear also had 3 injuries or more before the season starts, that diffuses any hypothesis about Nike gear contributing to injuries disproportionately. Do you know what % of Adidas-wearing schools had that number of injuries?

Bottom line is, you threw out several numbers, but are missing some statistical rigor. You may be on to something, or you might very well not...there's no way to tell with what you provided.

Reactions: 3 people
If 60%-70% of the schools in that population use Nike gear, it wouldn't be at all surprising or ominous to see the percentages you found.

If 54% of schools using Adidas or UnderArmour gear also had 3 injuries or more before the season starts, that diffuses any hypothesis about Nike gear contributing to injuries disproportionately. Do you know what % of Adidas-wearing schools had that number of injuries?

Bottom line is, you threw out several numbers, but are missing some statistical rigor. You may be on to something, or you might very well not...there's no way to tell with what you provided.

You're exactly right.

Sometimes college football can feel like a big game of roulette. If it's not injuries, it's drama in the locker room. If it's not drama, it's trouble with the law. If it's not trouble, it's drug violations and alcohol abuse reports. If it's not drugs and booze, it's a coach caught doing something wrong. Every once in a while, the skies are blue, everything's ideal...and the team just plays like crap.

Then, miracle of miracles, the stars align, and everything clicks. The team's winning, everyone's strong, everyone's happy, everything's just perfect.

Then something happens, and it all cycles all over again.

2321024831_4d4bc390c4_o_d.jpg

It's just college football, ladies and gents. Enjoy it in all its glory, even through the rough patches.

At this point the only injury that really hurts is Jackson. Losing a vet on a already shaky O-Line is going to be felt McNeil hurts but at least we have lots of talented depth there.

Here ya go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships

By no means am i saying any of this information is definitive. just tossing it out there, but per this link.

Of the 48 schools previously mentioned with 3 injuries or more it appears 9 are Adidas schools. or 19%

With Adidas having listed roughly the same number of schools wearing there gear as Nike 79 and only 9 making this list. That comes out to only 11% of Adidas schools with 3 or more injuries proportionately speaking. compared to 54% for Nike.

And for good measure Under armor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour#Sponsorships

Of the 48 listed with 3 or more injuries 5 are wearing Under armor or right at 10%, with a total of 29 schools wearing UA that's still only 17% proportionally again as compared to 54% from Nike!

I say screw the recruiting advantages and bland design...lets just go back to Adidas( blue font).

Doubt it. Injury reports roll off the front page of ESPN's web site like a ticker tape. Meanwhile, we sit around VN staring at the Vols from 3 inches away, using a magnifying glass, and are shocked at all the wrinkles. The vast majority of us couldn't name five players on any other SEC or Power 5 team, and have no idea what their injury situation looks like...but seem convinced that it's far worse here than elsewhere.

Lack of perspective has never been known for helping to stop hysteria.

I have seen you trumpeting this issue before...

Our injury rate is at a high level right now...

Highest rate in the SEC unless they have more at Bama, Miss St or Texas A&M.

from the donbest website;

08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee out indefinitely
08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep out for season
08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot out indefinitely
08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Arm out for season

Not listed

08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck out for season
08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee out indefinitely* (will redshirt)

Other schools injuries:

Oklahoma

None. Perine listed as probable.

Florida

08/27/15 DB Keanu Neal Leg "?" Saturday vs. New Mexico State

Arkansas

08/17/15 RB Jonathan Williams Foot out for season

Georgia

08/27/15 WR Justin Scott-Wesley Knee out indefinitely
08/15/15 FB Christian Payne Leg out indefinitely

South Carolina

08/27/15 OL Brock Stadnik Undisclosed out for season

Vanderbilt

08/27/15 QB Patton Robinette Concussion out for season
08/21/15 OL Andrew Jelks Knee out for season
08/12/15 WR C.J. Duncan Leg out for season

Kentucky

08/25/15 LB Kobie Walker Ankle expected to miss 2 games
08/25/15 3rd QB Reese Phillips Achilles "?" Saturday vs. UL Lafayette
08/13/15 LB Jason Hatcher Suspension expected to miss 2 games

LSU

08/20/15 DB Jalen Mills Fibula out indefinitely

Ole Miss

08/27/15 OL Rod Taylor Shoulder is downgraded to out indefinitely

I have seen you trumpeting this issue before...

from the donbest website;

08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee out indefinitely
08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep out for season
08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot out indefinitely
08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Arm out for season

Not listed

08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck out for season
08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee out indefinitely* (will redshirt)

Other schools injuries:

Oklahoma

None. Perine listed as probable.

Florida

08/27/15 DB Keanu Neal Leg "?" Saturday vs. New Mexico State

Arkansas

08/17/15 RB Jonathan Williams Foot out for season

Georgia

08/27/15 WR Justin Scott-Wesley Knee out indefinitely
08/15/15 FB Christian Payne Leg out indefinitely

South Carolina

08/27/15 OL Brock Stadnik Undisclosed out for season

Vanderbilt

08/27/15 QB Patton Robinette Concussion out for season
08/21/15 OL Andrew Jelks Knee out for season
08/12/15 WR C.J. Duncan Leg out for season

Kentucky

08/25/15 LB Kobie Walker Ankle expected to miss 2 games
08/25/15 3rd QB Reese Phillips Achilles "?" Saturday vs. UL Lafayette
08/13/15 LB Jason Hatcher Suspension expected to miss 2 games

LSU

08/20/15 DB Jalen Mills Fibula out indefinitely

Ole Miss

08/27/15 OL Rod Taylor Shoulder is downgraded to out indefinitely

Add Martez Ivey to Florida's list. Out with a knee that requires surgery.

Not good for the season or recruiting, I've been told UGA has said to top recruits interested in UT that are coaches overwork to players and don't know how to train properly that's why we're having all these injuries I've actually heard it from recruits as well

Posts like these are an example of why I rarely get on here

On that web site, I counted about 12 other teams with a comparable number of injuries to ours. Including Vandy. Notre Dame. Clemson. Illinois has it significantly worse than all of us.

Remember, keep it apples to apples -- sure, you and I know of Vols who are injured but not on that list ... what we don't know is how many guys other teams have injured that aren't on the list. So keep it apples to apples, or your "comparison" becomes invalid.

We're beyond average in # injuries, I agree. I've said as much in one of the several injury threads running right now. But we are by no means unique or extreme in our troubles.

AND, right now we're one of the injury-plagued schools. We're not one of the idiot-coach plagued schools. Or one of the drama-plagued schools. Or one of the legal problem schools. Or one of the drug violation schools.

Point is, everyone's got their own troubles. We are most familiar by far with our own. So ours seem, sometimes, the worst. Meanwhile, the fans over at Southeast West-North Michigan State think they have it worst.

*shrug* And yet we all pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and go play football anyway.

It is what it is. Let's don't over-react to it. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Here ya go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships

By no means am i saying any of this information is definitive. just tossing it out there, but per this link.

Of the 48 schools previously mentioned with 3 injuries or more it appears 9 are Adidas schools. or 19%

With Adidas having listed roughly the same number of schools wearing there gear as Nike 79 and only 9 making this list. That comes out to only 11% of Adidas schools with 3 or more injuries proportionately speaking. compared to 54% for Nike.

And for good measure Under armor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour#Sponsorships

Of the 48 listed with 3 or more injuries 5 are wearing Under armor or right at 10%, with a total of 29 schools wearing UA that's still only 17% proportionally again as compared to 54% from Nike!

I say screw the recruiting advantages and bland design...lets just go back to Adidas( blue font).

Heh, yeah, it sounds like you may be on to something. I mean, you might be on your way to identifying an aberration of gear used to injury rates. Taking it beyond that to mathematically showing the statistical significance of the correlation, and from there to establishing a cause-effect relationship of any sort are gonna be a couple of other kinds of mountain to climb altogether, but you can only take it one step at a time.

If you decide to delve into it further, I wish you luck. Seems like an interesting hypothesis to test.

Last edited:
Since the mods gracefully decided to put my thread down, I wanted to apologize here for my John Kelly thread. Below is the message I posted just prior to the thread getting canned:

This is embarrassing enough to almost stop coming to VN. I have, for some weird reason, no ability to differentiate between Kelly and Perry. Maybe it's the names. I can't handle the similarity. That's twice in 2 days I've said Kelly when I meant Perry.

And, this one was particularly egregious. I took care to specify that he wasn't wearing a brace so I could prevent a panic, and then I named the wrong bloody player.

My sincerest apologies everybody. I saw the #10 on his id card attached to his bag, and immediately went to "John Kelly" in my head. It's inexcusable.

Mods...please delete the thread, and put me out of my misery. You can do that by shooting me, ending my account, or just erasing everybodys memory of this (especially my own).

Edit: I just died. RIP me.

In lieu of flowers, the family of the deceased is asking that you send any hate mail to his home address, along with a screenshot of the offending post. He wants to be buried with his shame.

PS: Thank you JP for *not* pushing for my death penalty in the other thread. You're a good man, and a better internet ally/friend than I deserve.

Last edited:

Well, if your wearing Nike on your biceps, and neck, then I would say it contributes. SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back