2015 Vols Injury Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if your wearing Nike on your biceps, and neck, then I would say it contributes. SMH

While we might not have strong enough reason to say that there is a causal relationship between wearing nike products and getting injured at a disproportional rate, arguing from one or more injuries that were unlikely to be caused by Nike is not sufficient to show that there is a problem with the argument. Nike could cause a disproportional number of injuries without every injury being traced to Nike, or every player who wears Nike getting injured.

Statistical arguments aren't undermined by isolable and particular examples. For the same reason that saying "my uncle smoked for 60 years and didn't get cancer" or "my aunt got cancer and never smoked a cigarette!" won't undermine the claim that smoking causes an increased rate of lung cancer.

It's worth mentioning that, similarly, our increased rate of injury this offseason is also not proof that the hypothesis is true. But, that isn't being claimed. All that was said above is that there is independent evidence of a positive correlation between the two.

Reactions: 1 person
On that web site, I counted about 12 other teams with a comparable number of injuries to ours. Including Vandy. Notre Dame. Clemson. Illinois has it significantly worse than all of us.

Remember, keep it apples to apples -- sure, you and I know of Vols who are injured but not on that list ... what we don't know is how many guys other teams have injured that aren't on the list. So keep it apples to apples, or your "comparison" becomes invalid.

We're beyond average in # injuries, I agree. I've said as much in one of the several injury threads running right now. But we are by no means unique or extreme in our troubles.

AND, right now we're one of the injury-plagued schools. We're not one of the idiot-coach plagued schools. Or one of the drama-plagued schools. Or one of the legal problem schools. Or one of the drug violation schools.

Point is, everyone's got their own troubles. We are most familiar by far with our own. So ours seem, sometimes, the worst. Meanwhile, the fans over at Southeast West-North Michigan State think they have it worst.

*shrug* And yet we all pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and go play football anyway.

It is what it is. Let's don't over-react to it. That's all I'm saying.
Someone asked if our injures were higher than average. Go back to your response, you said "Doubt it". However, in reality, it's borderline worst injury rate in the NCAA (at the moment).

Again, let's go through this list;

08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee out indefinitely (will redshirt)
08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck out for season
08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee out indefinitely (4+ weeks)
08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep out for season
08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot out for season
08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Arm out for season
08/13/15 CB Devaun Swafford* suspected neck/head medically DQ'd

*I included Swafford cause I noticed Robinette on there. Makes sense to include medical DQ's or those who chose to "retire" due to injuries.

I see two teams with injury problems worse or equal to ours; Illinois & Wyoming. There are a few teams with 3 "out for season" injures (like Vandy & NMST) but they are not worse than us in terms of their rate. Facts speak for themselves.

Illinois
08/26/15 DL Teko Powell Foot out indefinitely
08/24/15 WR Justin Hardee Foot out indefinitely
08/24/15 WR Mike Dudek Knee out indefinitely
08/24/15 RB Dre Brown Knee out for season
08/24/15 RB Reggie Corbin Shoulder out for season

Wyoming
08/27/15 TE Grant Lewis Knee out for season
08/27/15 DE Seth Edeen Illness out for season
08/27/15 WR Tanner Simpson Foot out for season
08/27/15 DE Trevor Meader Knee out for season

Reactions: 1 person
Someone asked if our injures were higher than average. Go back to your response, you said "Doubt it". However, in reality, it's borderline worst injury rate in the NCAA (at the moment).

Again, let's go through this list;

08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee out indefinitely (will redshirt)
08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck out for season
08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee out indefinitely (4+ weeks)
08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep out for season
08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot out for season
08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Arm out for season
08/13/15 CB Devaun Swafford* suspected neck/head medically DQ'd

*I included Swafford cause I noticed Robinette on there. Makes sense to include medical DQ's or those who chose to "retire" due to injuries.

I see two teams with injury problems worse or equal to ours; Illinois & Wyoming. There are a few teams with 3 "out for season" injures (like Vandy & NMST) but they are not worse than us in terms of their rate. Facts speak for themselves.

Illinois
08/26/15 DL Teko Powell Foot out indefinitely
08/24/15 WR Justin Hardee Foot out indefinitely
08/24/15 WR Mike Dudek Knee out indefinitely
08/24/15 RB Dre Brown Knee out for season
08/24/15 RB Reggie Corbin Shoulder out for season

Wyoming
08/27/15 TE Grant Lewis Knee out for season
08/27/15 DE Seth Edeen Illness out for season
08/27/15 WR Tanner Simpson Foot out for season
08/27/15 DE Trevor Meader Knee out for season

Spot on! Thanks Kirby, well done. :hi:

On that web site, I counted about 12 other teams with a comparable number of injuries to ours. Including Vandy. Notre Dame. Clemson. Illinois has it significantly worse than all of us.

BTW here is Vandy, Notre Dame and Clemson. You'll notice how some of them aren't injuries at all. I think you may have read it wrong.

Vanderbilt
08/27/15 QB Patton Robinette Concussion out for season (Chose to retire - medically DQ'd)
08/21/15 OL Andrew Jelks Knee out for season
08/12/15 WR C.J. Duncan Leg out for season

Notre Dame - 2 injuries
08/27/15 DB Shaun Crawford ACL out for season
08/15/15 DL Jarron Jones Knee out for season
08/13/15 RB Greg Bryant Eligibility out for season

Clemson - 1 injury
08/26/15 DT D.J. Reader Personal out indefinitely
08/21/15 K Ammon Lakip Suspension out indefinitely
08/13/15 DB Korrin Wiggins Knee out for season

Reactions: 2 people
Is this the worse preseason for injuries so far? I can't remember the last time it was this bad. What the hell is butch doing? Can we please not hit anymore until the game.. and yeah, I'm serious.

Is this the worse preseason for injuries so far? I can't remember the last time it was this bad. What the hell is butch doing? Can we please not hit anymore until the game.. and yeah, I'm serious.

Most, of the injuries were not due to "hitting". Sanders, Martin (who's already back) and I assume McNeil are only ones iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back