2015 Vols Injury Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that we've had more than our fair share of injuries during the preseason, at least according to this list (which doesn't include McNeil):
NCAA Football Injuries College Football Injury Report Betting Lines, Odds & NCAAF College Free Picks - DonBest.com

Per the NCAA:
• The overall injury rate in NCAA football is 8.1 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures (games and practices combined).
• Football players are nearly seven times more likely to be injured during a game than in practice.

We are on the upper end. But a few schools with more and we're tied with a few also.
Not great news but also not extremely rare.

Not good for the season or recruiting, I've been told UGA has said to top recruits interested in UT that are coaches overwork to players and don't know how to train properly that's why we're having all these injuries I've actually heard it from recruits as well

That's why Mark Richt always does less with more talent and always loses 1-2 games each year that he should win every season.

I posted the following in the wrong thread a minute ago, reposting it here. Sorry for the repeat:

~ ~ ~​

Putting any hysteria and over-reaction aside, I do believe we are probably above the national average in # of injuries, and # of serious injuries (month+ out of action) this pre-season.

And any time you see something anomalous, you immediately have to wonder if there's a discernible cause-effect relationship.

I don't think it's the strength & conditioning regimen, Coach Lawson & team have been doing the job far too many years without issue for that to be the likely culprit.

I do wonder if it's a mindset, though. Bear with me for a second as I throw an idea out there...

...leadership was once defined by the US Army as the ability to influence others to do something they would not otherwise do (the Army has changed to a much more politically correct definition in the past several years).

Butch is a very effective leader. We know this. We've seen it.

One of the key things he has been influencing his players to do this fall is, "get 1% better each day."

So here's the thought: what if his leadership is so effective that he's causing the players to take greater risks, to throw themselves harder into their cuts and pushes and leaps, so that they can find that elusive 1% each day?

What if an increase in injuries is a concurrent cost of real, sustained, dramatic improvement?

In other words, 105 players are getting significantly better than they otherwise would, but the price you pay for that is a handful of players missing anywhere from a few games to a season?

I don't know this to be true, I'm not even sure if I buy it myself yet...it's just this hypothesis that's been rolling around inside my brain pan.

What do you think?

Reactions: 1 person
Am I missing anyone on the injury front?
1.Marcus Jackson (OL) - Torn Biceps Tendon - Out For Year
2.Austin Sanders (OL) - Torn Biceps Tendon - Out For Year
3.Rashaan Gaulden (CB) - Broken Foot - Out For Year
4.LaDarrell McNeil (S) - Neck Injury - TBD?
5.Vincent Perry (WR) - Knee Scope - Redshirt?
6.Jason Croom (WR) - Knee Scope - TBD?​
Enough already...I wish all of these young men a full & speedy recovery.

I thought we came out of fall camp last year pretty well unscathed, guess it is just our turn this year.

What we need to do is start a petition for less physical contact and more practice drills on the virtual reality system. #virtualrealityisourfriend

I would be interested to see how this offseason compares to recent offseasons in terms of the amount of injuries.

While the numbers might be up, I suspect that it would only show a slight increase.

I think that our roster is so talented (relatively) this year that every injury seems devastating. In years past, we might have had a similar amount of injuries but wouldn't have been as concerned because a lot of those players would never see the field.

When a majority of your roster is 4 and 5 star players, you pay closer attention to injuries.

Ehh food for thought

If Orange Venom says that it's what recruits in Georgia are hearing from UGA then it is. He knows more about what's going on with the Georgia scene than any of us!!!!!!

Train like you fight, fight like you train! Wasn't it Gen. Neyland who liked to have practices be harder than game time?

Not good for the season or recruiting, I've been told UGA has said to top recruits interested in UT that are coaches overwork to players and don't know how to train properly that's why we're having all these injuries I've actually heard it from recruits as well

Prove it......well..........

2014 Rivals Ranking
Tennessee - #5
Georgia - #7

2015 Rivals Ranking
Tennessee - #5
Georgia - #6

It's working well for them.

It's not even the first game. I know injuries are common but I question our health by the end of the season. I was thinking before training camp started that we are a few injuries away from having a subpar season...
Hopefully, players will step up and the players out will recover quickly.

Starting to remind me of Fulmer's perfect storm season. Big expectations and key injuries at key positions and all of a sudden we're 5 - 6. Just makes me a little nervous.

Former players point of view

I think that argument would be more valid if we were actually into the season. But Big East players could handle Jones fall practices better than our SEC guys? If they can't handle fall practice, a grueling SEC schedule is gonna be a doozy. Just IMO though

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back