2024 & Beyond Basketball Recruiting

Fryinpansvols

I know we got the Bishop Boswell kid for the 2024 class. Who else could we get? What would you say our needs are? A true BIG?

How about the 2025 class and forward?

Reactions: Volfan1000
I know we got the Bishop Boswell kid for the 2024 class. Who else could we get? What would you say our needs are? A true BIG?

Rick saved 2 scholarships. I think the rest of the 2024 class will be portal guys. And I think that’s why he saved them. Guessing he’ll get another Guard/Wing type.

A true 6’10 245 pound big man like Tolu Smith would be incredible imho.
Heck go get him in transfer portal!
Plus can’t have enough PG or pure shooters.

We will have 4 bigs on roster next year. No need to get a portal guy there for next year. We will be replacing Knect/vescovi/james. Will be interesting to see who hits the portal and how Barnes decides to utilize those last two spots. Obviously you could move these guys around 15 different ways but our roster is in pretty good shape as we sit now. I don’t see Dillione/Carr/Gainey scaring any top portal guys off though and could see us being a top destination for a couple combo guards. Who wouldn’t want to play with Zachai in this system for a year with what Knect is proving is possible.

1-ziggler/Gainey
2. Dillione/Carr/Bosswell
3. Mashack/jefferson
4. Awaka/phillips
5. Aidoo/Estrella

Last edited:
We will have 4 bigs on roster next year. No need to get a portal guy there for next year. We will be replacing Knect/vescovi/james. Will be interesting to see who hits the portal and how Barnes decides to utilize those last two spots. Obviously you could move these guys around 15 different ways but our roster is in pretty good shape as we sit now.

1-ziggler/Gainey
3. Mashack/Henderson
4. Awaka/phillips
5. Aidoo/Estrella
Henderson=Jefferson?

We will have 4 bigs on roster next year. No need to get a portal guy there for next year. We will be replacing Knect/vescovi/james. Will be interesting to see who hits the portal and how Barnes decides to utilize those last two spots. Obviously you could move these guys around 15 different ways but our roster is in pretty good shape as we sit now. I don’t see Dillione/Carr/Gainey scaring any top portal guys off though and could see us being a top destination for a couple combo guards. Who wouldn’t want to play with Zachai in this system for a year with what Knect is proving is possible.

1-ziggler/Gainey
3. Mashack/jefferson
4. Awaka/phillips
5. Aidoo/Estrella
Unless someone leaves at the guard positions, it looks like the portal players will play the 3 and 4. Unless things change in a hurry with Gainey or Dillone, the Vols are going to have to look for proven scorers in the portal.

If Dillone or Jefferson leaves, I wonder if the staff looks into the Gillespie kid at Belmont if he enters the portal. I noticed he is having a pretty good season so far. He would have 2 years left. I know ZZ would be a senior, so they might prefer to take a portal point guard after the 2024-2025 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEONLYTENISEE
A true 6’10 245 pound big man like Tolu Smith would be incredible imho.
Heck go get him in transfer portal!
Plus can’t have enough PG or pure shooters.
I agree! When our BasketVols play teams with dominant BIGS, we struggle. I like Aidoo and Awaka, but both have their pros and cons. Jonas is finesse and can’t body the thick BIGS. Awaka hasn’t developed the Offensive game yet. Plus he furiously picks up fouls.

1-ziggler/Gainey
3. Mashack/jefferson
4. Awaka/phillips
5. Aidoo/Estrella
Pretty salty lineup. Expect Dillione to take a step, but am sure we'll get alot of top shelf attention from portal w/ Knect as the poster child of what's possible. I could see adding another big man and certainly another guy who can knock down 3's consistently.

Right now, obviously subject to change as always, but your returning/incoming looks like…

Zeigler/Boswell
Gainey/Dillione
Carr/
Mashack/Jefferson/Phillips
Aidoo/Awaka/Estrella

Obviously we could start 2 bigs, but that’s how I laid it out…room for 2 additions, but you can typically count on at least 1 departure, so 3 additions probably. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them look developmental 2024 class addition, and then 2 guys in the portal like this year. I think a guard and a small ball forward type would be the priorities, both with plus scoring abilities.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Awaka isn’t a true 5. He is a 4 playing the 5. Mashack isn’t a 4 either he is a true 3 who can play the 4 out of necessity. Jefferson isn’t a 4 either. Not sure what you are basing this off of.

Reactions: walkenvol
Obviously we could start 2 bigs, but that’s how I laid it out…room for 2 additions, but you can typically count on at least 1 departure, so 3 additions probably. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them look developmental 2024 class addition, and then 2 guys in the portal like this year. I think a guard and a small ball forward type would be the priorities, both with plus scoring abilities.
Man, I pray this is the case with Barnes. Hope he's enjoying having a "go to" guy and it becomes the norm with him.

Man, I pray this is the case with Barnes. Hope he's enjoying having a "go to" guy and it becomes the norm with him.
Same…the mindset behind Gainey, even though it hasn’t worked out to this point, was similar to Knecht in adding a scorer. I like the idea of recruiting high school guys to develop and be plus defenders/set the culture, while bringing in transfer proven scorers. I don’t think Knecht is a Top 10% college defender by any means, which is what that article stated the analytics say, but I think he’s doing that because he’s typically on the court alongside really good defenders who both help him out/clean up some mistakes and then Aidoo at the rim as well.

VN Store

Back