2024 & Beyond Basketball Recruiting

Everyone will be super excited to hear that Mashack won’t be guarding teams best scorer next year. We are gonna play him at the 4 position. Yeah that’s what the plan is guys. It’s the new era of basketball.
Because he can’t play the 4 in our offensive sets while guarding the other team’s best offensive player. 🙄

You’re displaying a profound ignorance of Tennessee’s system. That’s fine. Being condescending while you do it is embarrassing.

Try a more curious approach. I mean that in a kind way.

You do realize the other teams will have typical PF so that would leave Dillione/Zachai or Gainey guarding their PF right? Come on man this isn’t all that hard.

I mean you do realize when he is guarding the other teams 4 JJJ isn’t in the game and he takes that role on. If he is the 4 in your alls scenario he is going to have to guard the other teams 4 cause I’m pretty sure you all aren’t expecting the other guards we have on roster to guard opposing teams PF. We all know the match up every single team on earth is going to if we got Dillione guarding a 6’8” PF lol

There’s an ideal size for the 4 position. But nowadays, there are different styles that teams play more so than there used to be years ago. If the style of play is a run-and-gun offense with a big focus on tempo and you run a 4-out or 5-out spread set, you normally don’t have a 7 footer and a 6’8” guy at the 4/5 positions. That wouldn’t fit the style of play. Now if the focus is more of an inside-out traditional style of play, then the size preferences change. Most of it is a mix and match game. There’s many styles of play nowadays and the size preferences aren’t all the same like it used to be. Also, many coaches are different. They attack teams offensively or they attack them defensively and that’s how their personnel is decided. It’s not cut and dry.

This could be an interesting discussion of the evolution of the college game and different styles and matchups. Particularly how Barnes is managing the roster to get his best lineups on the floor and the flexibility we have thanks to Mashach and JJJ. Instead Smokey is condescending and unwilling to acknowledge what we all saw in yesterdays game.

Well I'm hoping Estrella/Phillips can develop so we don't need to devote a ton of resources to a big man

They have not made the most of their opportunities so far. We appear to play 4 on 5, or at least just barely more than a warm body because they get lost on the court.

So you were wrong, got it, could’ve just said that instead. Lol
I was wrong? FAU is a ranked in the top 25? I gave you credit FAU, a conference USA team has a 6’4 guard playing in the 4 spot. But FAU isn’t ranked Buddy. That’s your one might team you claimed cause that’s the only one and they aren’t ranked.

So you were wrong, got it, could’ve just said that instead. Lol
Everyone besides a couple of your buddies has been reading this thread and laughing because they know you couldn’t find a top 25 team that supported your theory that this is the new era of basketball it’s not the 1970s. What? Are you not going to apologize?

Who guarded Brandon Miller last year? And shut him down?

Mashack can guard 1-4.
Yep. Mashack might not be the biggest body, but the kid has one helluva motor. Definitely has a lot of dog in him, too. Plays way bigger than he is, and while he isn't the highlight reel that Knecht is, I love watching him play. He's my kind of player. I'll take undersized with heart over a 6'8 guy that no shows almost as often as he shows. Speaking of which, I always used to watch these midget PGs come into Stokely and be royal PITAs. Their speed and quickness just made life miserable for our guards. Now that we have one of those in ZZ, I gotta say....I hope we continue getting at least one of those pests on the roster to really get under the opponents skin. We'll miss Knecht, but it will almost be like a passing when ZZ plays his last game. He's one of those guys who won't make the NBA, but he'll forever be a fan favorite.

I was wrong? FAU is a ranked in the top 25? I gave you credit FAU, a conference USA team has a 6’4 guard playing in the 4 spot. But FAU isn’t ranked Buddy. That’s your one might team you claimed cause that’s the only one and they aren’t ranked.
You dumb, blind or just plain obtuse? IMG_1627.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You dumb, blind or just plain obtuse? View attachment 612809
Post the coaches poll now lol. The point is FAU is literally the only team NEAR the top 25 that plays a 6’4 guy at the 4 and you are trying to claim it’s the new norm lol. The only team you could find is barely ranked in 1 poll to support your theory. They don’t play in the SEC they can get away with it.

If you want us to run this same offense Barnes is gonna go get another SF 6’6-7” guy that can defend the 4 next year just like Knect and JJJ do this year. We will not play Mashack at the 4 primarily next year. If he is the 4 next year primarily I’ll leave Volnation. There you go. He isn’t going to be the primary 4 lol

Take the L and move along, stop trying to make excuses or move the goal posts…you were wrong on various fronts and too dumb for me to continue wasting my time on clearly.

Take the L? lol you realize FAU defense is ranked 96th in kenpom right? You know they are not ranked in the top 25 overall in Kenpom right? But hey 6'4" is the new era of 4s in basketball right lolololo. You are a joke and seriously hope people don't take you seriously.

Post the coaches poll now lol. The point is FAU is literally the only team NEAR the top 25 that plays a 6’4 guy at the 4 and you are trying to claim it’s the new norm lol. The only team you could find is barely ranked in 1 poll to support your theory. They don’t play in the SEC they can get away with it.
You do know you are talking about the exact same team that made a Final Four run last year!
They also returned their entire team (- Michael Forrest, who only started 1 game and averaged 8 ppg )
This a very good team! Kenpom has them at 26. So, you are likely letting your disposition color good judgment by dismissing a good argument without careful consideration.

Take the L and move along, stop trying to make excuses or move the goal posts…you were wrong on various fronts and too dumb for me to continue wasting my time on clearly.
Looking for your BTO post on the AL game ... I'll feeling deprived and at a loss for words!!!
.... and I need to know your favorite coffee! :^)
... and I need to show some patience. Duh.

I was catching some high school basketball in-between my son's 13U games. The UT coaching staff really missed out on Cam Scott of Lexington, SC. He's going to the fake UT instead. He would have been a good replacement for Knetch.

Dewayne Brown, one of the top big men in the Southeast, has scheduled his first official visit to Tennessee for February 16th through the 18th.

The 6-foot-9, 235-pound three-star center out of Hoover High (AL) currently holds an offer from the Vols, along with programs like Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Providence, and others.

Brown has unofficially visited four schools — Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Mississippi State.
j.tipton

Last edited:

Tennessee: “The atmosphere is great there,” Adams said. “I’ve known Riley Collins, one of the graduate assistants there since I was little. There is a long-time relationship there. The football I went to was great, the fans and everything. I also got to see the team scrimmage when I went down there. The fans were great, and the atmosphere at the football game was crazy.

“They like to get up and down, so I like that. They let their guys play in transition and they get their shooters open. I want to get down there for a basketball game, but I am assuming that the atmosphere is the same as football.”
j.tipton

VN Store

Back