2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article says he wasn’t caught off guard, that’s why he has the international prospects already lined up. All coaches are keenly aware recruiting is 24/7 now.

Still not a good look to have that many players exit.
It's not uncommon for any team now to lose that many players in a year sadly. Gotta recruit your own each year. I would not want to he a college coach.

Our men's team lost 4 players which is just one less than arky women.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but the word in gamecock country is that Kiki
Iriafen from Stanford contacted Dawn & a visit has been set up for this weekend.
I’m in the camp of SC fans that actually hopes KiKi finds another home. SC has players that have put in long dues for their time to shine and you just cannot recruit over them and expect team chemistry to be good. Kiki is amazing, just want her to find another home. Feagin, Watkins, Kitts and Edwards are enough for our frontcourt and they all deserve their PT and time now to shine and develop. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant, I’m just saying SC does not need to do this and risk upsetting a good thing. I’m on record as stating I think Feagin could be All SEC if given the PT she has worked 3 years for already. At some point you have to show loyalty to these players that have been sacrificing for the team so many years or it will all implode. Empires always crumble from within, let KiKi find her place where she is needed more.

Last edited:
I suspect Tess may have taken a role as team Mom, leader, culture insuror and contributor on the floor where she can. Basically what she ended up doing last year, only probably more so. Nothing wrong w that.
I like all those rolls for Tess but let’s not discount her three point shooting. Not everyone needs to dash down the court. Tess just needs to find an open spot.
(Edit) How about I go with roles in the light of day!

Last edited:
The abject failure of Neighbors' run and gun offense in the SEC is what scares me about our upcoming system. This is not a trick question, not criticizing the system, the new coaches, or anything about it. Just genuinely want to know what we'll do differently that will make it work better for us. Is it that Arky didn't press on D? That they often made no attempt to rebound? Did they just not have enough consistent shooters? Were they too one dimensional and unable to play half court when forced into it?

Of all the teams I watched live the last few years, Arky was probably the hardest to watch. Seemed unneccassarily awful. And Spencer is another hard no. We have several of her already.
That is what scares me too. Coach Flo used this philosophy. High pressure defense and run and gun offense and it did not turn out well there. Worked great in the Big east, but flopped in the SEC. Hopefully, CKC's is a little bit different and much more efficient, because the SEC coaches adapt quickly. I remember teams learning to break that press and walking the ball up the court against Auburn and Auburn never faired that well with that style.

Ok all you Deja haters…👀

Deja Kelly a career four total years 35 percent field goal shooter. Shoots 29 percent from the three and a whopping career 3.5 rebounds per game. She did average 16.3 on 20 plus shots per game. I just hope Deja hurries up and gets off the board to somewhere other than Tennessee.

Reactions: dazzleme and glv98
That is what scares me too. Coach Flo used this philosophy. High pressure defense and run and gun offense and it did not turn out well there. Worked great in the Big east, but flopped in the SEC. Hopefully, CKC's is a little bit different and much more efficient, because the SEC coaches adapt quickly. I remember teams learning to break that press and walking the ball up the court against Auburn and Auburn never faired that well with that style.
These are fair concerns so just wait a minute to see how things turn out .

I’m in the camp of SC fans that actually hopes KiKi finds another home. SC has players that have put in long dues for their time to shine and you just cannot recruit over them and expect team chemistry to be good. Kiki is amazing, just want her to find another home. Feagin, Watkins, Kitts and Edwards are enough for our frontcourt and they all deserve their PT and time now to shine and develop. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant, I’m just saying SC does not need to do this and risk upsetting a good thing. I’m on record as stating I think Feagin could be All SEC if given the PT she has worked 3 years for already. At some point you have to show loyalty to these players that have been sacrificing for the team so many years or it will all implode. Empires always crumble from within, let KiKi find her place where she is needed more.
Agree, and what a problem to have. But Dawn must be serious; I can't see KiKi coming all the way across the country for a symbolic visit. If she wasn't going to be offered, why visit? Coaches have to make some really hard choices these day, Dawn not quite as hard as others lol, but maybe Dawn feels like she has to go after the best players no matter where the chips fall. The good news is maybe it will free up another SC castoff that all the rest of us would love to have.

As it is if Coach Kim does fail (And I do not believe she will),,,he has already opened the door for a "big name" outside of the Summitt tree, without repercussions
Here's the problem with that. If CKC "fails", meaning the program becomes even less successful, the chances of attracting a "big name" are slim and none. We already couldn't interest one when we had 20 wins, several top 3 or 4 SEC finishes and several S16s. Attracting coaches is like attracting big name players - gotta win big first. That's why we said this hire was so pivotal - no room to let the program fall further.
These are fair concerns so just wait a minute to see how things turn out .
Will definitely be waiting to see how things turn out. BC we have no choice. I'm not among those who think anything said on this board means anything in the real world nor that we "let" things happen or give anyone or anything "chances" here. So that means continuing to discuss possibilities during the offseason, which is the only thing we actually can do here.

So corny and no one under 60 will get the reference but I can't resist: Ruby, please don't take your love to (another) town!
Sorry cant resist either. I took the post positive. I love it when other Vol teams bring their recruits, players & coaches to other UT games. Smile when i see Rick at a Lady Vols game. Loved it when Pat showed up in a cheerleader outfit. Rising tides raises all ships. Hope Lady Vol Vols coaches bring recruits (Ruby) to the game today. Hope we recognize her and chant her name. Hope you come too:)

Deja Kelly a career four total years 35 percent field goal shooter. Shoots 29 percent from the three and a whopping career 3.5 rebounds per game. She did average 16.3 on 20 plus shots per game. I just hope Deja hurries up and gets off the board to somewhere other than Tennessee.
I think she’s going back to UNC, but to correct u she took 15 shots per game.

Coach Flo played a 1-2-2 zone press with trapping which was high risk high reward and can be broken easily. CKC's press is more of full court man to man or full court run and jump. There should not be many free baskets because you are matching up with your assignment in the backcourt. Her style of defense is similar to Auburn's men basketball. The way they play defense, you will be looking forward to a breather. Auburn's defense efficiency is ranked high nationally each season. No player wants to be pressured the entire game which leads to frustration, turnovers, fatigue, rushed shots and causes the opposing team to be uncomfortable. Auburn losses came when they couldn't make shots, free throws or missed constant layups. Their game in the SEC championship is a great example and their loss against Yale in the NCAA Tournament was an example where the defense was good, but the offense and FT shooting caused them the game. If you can capitalize off of free throws, turnovers and making layups then you should be successful. Tennessee should be good. Auburn and Alabama have each won the SEC twice within the last 5 years.

Coach Flo played a 1-2-2 zone press with trapping which was high risk high reward and can be broken easily. CKC's press is more of full court man to man or full court run and jump. There should not be many free baskets because you are matching up with your assignment in the backcourt. Her style of defense is similar to Auburn's men basketball. The way they play defense, you will be looking forward to a breather. Auburn's defense efficiency is ranked high nationally each season. No player wants to be pressured the entire game which leads to frustration, turnovers, fatigue, rushed shots and causes the opposing team to be uncomfortable. Auburn losses came when they couldn't make shots, free throws or missed constant layups. Their game in the SEC championship is a great example and their loss against Yale in the NCAA Tournament was an example where the defense was good, but the offense and FT shooting caused them the game. If you can capitalize off of free throws, turnovers and making layups then you should be successful. Tennessee should be good. Auburn and Alabama have each won the SEC twice within the last 5 years.
Great assessment. That’s why I think all these girls need to be minimum 80 percentile on free throws.

I hear you, the only thing that makes me nervous is that Marshall was 347th out of 360 teams in field goal percentage defense last year. That suggests teams were getting pretty easy looks if they broke the press (or in the halfcourt). They were still 115th in HHS defensive rating, and with better athletes and players at Tennessee, they should be better. But the competition will be better, too.

I like this assessment too. I love a run-and-jump defense and have been begging for it for years. The one thing with it is the high-risk, high-reward debate. The one thing many coaches don't want to happen is have that high-risk factor plague a team in big games and end up losing because of it. The very best SEC women's teams are very consistent in what they do year over year.

The system Coach Caldwell plays is not as out of the ordinary as everyone thinks. They press after made baskets not after misses. On misses straight back on defense. The best time to press is after made baskets and even if it does not result in a turnover it can really shorten the shot clock for the opponent. I think most of the substituting is basically to keep players fresh and she usually has her best five in there the last five or more minutes of the game. I have watched what games are available it is no where near a full court press for the entire game. She does expect hard defensive play and if your slipping up on defense your probably not going to play much.

I hear you, the only thing that makes me nervous is that Marshall was 347th out of 360 teams in field goal percentage defense last year. That suggests teams were getting pretty easy looks if they broke the press (or in the halfcourt). They were still 115th in HHS defensive rating, and with better athletes and players at Tennessee, they should be better. But the competition will be better, too.
Hopefully better athletes will be a solution as her talent level on that team was well below anyone in the SEC even though they did somehow manage a win over Florida.

The system Coach Caldwell plays is not as out of the ordinary as everyone thinks. They press after made baskets not after misses. On misses straight back on defense. The best time to press is after made baskets and even if it does not result in a turnover it can really shorten the shot clock for the opponent. I think most of the substituting is basically to keep players fresh and she usually has her best five in there the last five or more minutes of the game. I have watched what games are available it is no where near a full court press for the entire game. She does expect hard defensive play and if your slipping up on defense your probably not going to play much.
Most people don’t understand how that works, the players will be fine since they’ve all played this system before. If we have a good enough roster we will win and if not we will lose, that’s what the focus should be and not all this system talk.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Her percentage was bad but I still think she’s an upgrade for us, but I don’t think she’s coming here anyway.
An upgrade to who? We don't have anybody that shoots that low. She doesn't rebound 3.5 a game. Tess is a better rebounder and certainly a better shooter. I can't think of a player except Wynn that shoots it worse and Wynn is far better than her as a rebounder.

Hi! Somewhat new here…

Can someone point me to the transfer portal thread that has information about transfers.

Thanks in advance.

This thread was create for that news. We will get it back on topic.
Tennessee has commits from two intriguing and highly skilled forwards.
A former Top 30 prospect out of HS 6’4 forward Lazaria Spearman.
All-ACC freshman forward 6’2 Alyssa Latham.

Versatile athlete Ruby Whitehorn is visiting today.

I have sources that are telling me other visits are either happening this weekend and haven’t been announced or could happen early next week.

An upgrade to who? We don't have anybody that shoots that low. She doesn't rebound 3.5 a game. Tess is a better rebounder and certainly a better shooter. I can't think of a player except Wynn that shoots it worse and Wynn is far better than her as a rebounder.
An upgrade to Wynn and Wells, but she’s better than Tess as well and I don’t think anyone would say different.

Reactions: VolFuture
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back