UT cross-conference head coach hire?

madbamahater

This is probably a horrible idea, but would any of you like UT to hire an existing SEC head coach? Lane Kiffin, Mark Stoops or Sam Pittman? Pittman still a rookie head coach.

I wish UT would swing for the fences and get no less a Hugh Freeze. But, would a very solid hire like the ones mentioned above do the trick?

Reactions: deezvols
This is probably a horrible idea, but would any of you like UT to hire an existing SEC head coach? Lane Kiffin, Mark Stoops or Sam Pittman? Pittman still a rookie head coach.

I wish UT would swing for the fences and get no less a Hugh Freeze. But, would a very solid hire like the ones mentioned above do the trick?

Freeze is better than all those guys imo.

If we were going to stay in conference (and IMO this is assuming Campbell and Freeze turned us down. Campbell probably would say no, Freeze would take the job.) I'd go after Sarkisian. He has the same coaching pedigree as Kiffin, except Sark has actually turned around a power 5 school in Washington. His record there wasn't amazing, but Washington was dreadful before he got there. 0-12 the year before he arrived. He left the foundation Peterson built on. And what he's done with Alabama's offense this year, my goodness. He's the one and only assistant coach I would want us to go after. And I really don't want to gamble on G5 coaches either.

Freeze is ripe for the picking now, he will not be at Liberty next year.
Freeze, Campbell or Kiffin
Those are the 3 I go after.

Kiffin is a very talented coach. And he's done well on his 2nd chances. Ole Miss is on the rise already.

But he's had his shot in Knoxville. Freeze or Campbell would be great!

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Why do people keep leaving out Jamey Chadwell? If he beats Freeze Saturday he has to be the guy right?

It's just a name they've not heard enough off yet. Even if he beats Freeze on Saturday, you have to look at the body of work.
Turning down a great offensive mind that has beaten Nick Saban in back to back years, and also recruits like an animal and had PROVEN his abilities already in the SEC West , is not something you do I think. Freeze is only 51.

But you have to interview Chadwell at least.

It's just a name they've not heard enough off yet. Even if he beats Freeze on Saturday, you have to look at the body of work.
Turning down a great offensive mind that has beaten Nick Saban in back to back years, and also recruits like an animal and had PROVEN his abilities already in the SEC West , is not something you do I think. Freeze is only 51.

But you have to interview Chadwell at least.
I agree with you 100%

If we do not hire Freeze this year, we will regret it.

Stoops is going to be big time somewhere. The guy can scheme with the best of them. God forbid they ever get a decent QB, Kentucky would likely win the East.

Freeze is better than all those guys imo.
How low are you guys willing to go? If Tennessee were to hire Freeze, I would never attend another football game at Tennessee. I saw my first game in 1945 and have always supported my University without much concern. I have been through the worst and the best and have been proud of how they have handled their problems with dignity. Hiring Freeze would mean that they have thrown all sense of dignity out the window. It would indicate that our University has winning above everything else and we all know how that works out in the long term. Hiring Freeze would be worse than hiring a certain defensive coordinator from Ohio State that this board essentially forced the University to void a Contract to hire him. Can one not see the similar character flaws in theses two coaches?

The $12,000,000.00 question?

Kiffin bringing a good DC along with him would be the safest bet. He can recruit, he has a great offensive mind, etc. We might get the death penalty in about five years, but it would be a fun ride.

At this rate does it even matter? Teams that have been on near death penalty probation were better than UT is now.....

Kiffin is a fun guy, charismatic, a good sound bite, and very good offensive mind. But he always seems to get way more credit than he deserves. If you didn’t look, you’d think he’s having this amazing season. He’s going to end up with 5 losses, already has 4 with aTm still to play. So many here look back fondly at his lone season at UT; 6 losses. 15 losses in 3.3 seasons at USC. He was able to run up his career win % at Florida Atlantic with a couple 11-win seasons there, but still managed a 5-7 season there. Without the FAU record, he’s an entirely average 39-25. Hell, even with FAU he’s 66-38. Again, average. I didn’t even mention his Oakland record in the NFL where he was completely overmatched at 16-32. Add that into the mix and you’re staring right at a career record of 82-70. And this record is on a huge sample size, 5 different stops, 2 different leagues. We know what he is. Yet, he somehow has this aura of a winner. I don’t see it.

I think Pittman is locked at Arkansas for at least 3-4 more years. I do think Mark Stoops is interesting. He can coach. No, his win-loss record doesn’t jump out either but he took a doormat team and made them respectable in most years, to pretty damn good in some years. I think he’s done all he can do at UK, I think he’d listen if UT offered. And I think he would be one helluva good hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: CR-vol

VN Store

Back