UT cross-conference head coach hire?

Kiffin is a fun guy, charismatic, a good sound bite, and very good offensive mind. But he always seems to get way more credit than he deserves. If you didn’t look, you’d think he’s having this amazing season. He’s going to end up with 5 losses, already has 4 with aTm still to play. So many here look back fondly at his lone season at UT; 6 losses. 15 losses in 3.25 seasons at USC. He was able to run up his career win % at Florida Atlantic with a couple 11-win seasons there, but still managed a 5-7 season there. Without the FAU record, he’s an entirely average 39-25. Hell, even with FAU he’s 66-38. Again, average. I didn’t even mention his Oakland record in the NFL where he was completely overmatched at 16-32. Add that into the mix and you’re staring right at a career record of 82-70. And this record is a huge sample size, 5 different stops, 2 different leagues. We know what he is. Yet, he somehow has this aura of a winner. I don’t see it.

I think Pittman is locked at Arkansas for at least 3-4 more years. I do think Mark Stoops is interesting. He can coach. No, his win-loss record doesn’t jump out either but he took a doormat team and made them respectable in most years, to pretty damn good in some years. I think he’s done all he can do at UK, I think he’d listen if UT offered. And I think he would be one helluva good hire.

Some College football programs like Tennessee are just not destined to succeed, regardless of the HC

Reactions: onevol74
The infatuation with Hugh Freeze is flat out comical.
How can you not be infatuated with having to vacate wins because of cheating (officially12-25 @ Ole Miss), calling hookers with your work cell phone, and a post season ban? And then he said he likes Jesus. So I can’t understand how you’re not on pulling into infatuation station.

Why do people keep leaving out Jamey Chadwell? If he beats Freeze Saturday he has to be the guy right?
Caldwell is a good HC and I expect he will be coaching at bigger program next year. Freeze already has HC experience in the SEC Caldwell doesn't.

Caldwell is a good HC and I expect that he will be coaching at bigger program next year. Freeze already has HC experience in the SEC Caldwell doesn't.

Kiffin is a fun guy, charismatic, a good sound bite, and very good offensive mind. But he always seems to get way more credit than he deserves. If you didn’t look, you’d think he’s having this amazing season. He’s going to end up with 5 losses, already has 4 with aTm still to play. So many here look back fondly at his lone season at UT; 6 losses. 15 losses in 3.3 seasons at USC. He was able to run up his career win % at Florida Atlantic with a couple 11-win seasons there, but still managed a 5-7 season there. Without the FAU record, he’s an entirely average 39-25. Hell, even with FAU he’s 66-38. Again, average. I didn’t even mention his Oakland record in the NFL where he was completely overmatched at 16-32. Add that into the mix and you’re staring right at a career record of 82-70. And this record is on a huge sample size, 5 different stops, 2 different leagues. We know what he is. Yet, he somehow has this aura of a winner. I don’t see it.

I think Pittman is locked at Arkansas for at least 3-4 more years. I do think Mark Stoops is interesting. He can coach. No, his win-loss record doesn’t jump out either but he took a doormat team and made them respectable in most years, to pretty damn good in some years. I think he’s done all he can do at UK, I think he’d listen if UT offered. And I think he would be one helluva good hire.

I’m telling you right now aTm wants no part of that game. CFP spot potentially on the line, Kiffin will bring out all the stops to try and get a huge W. That game will be Ole Miss’ Super Bowl and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ole Miss pulled off the upset.

Reactions: Jaws
I’m telling you right now aTm wants no part of that game. CFP spot potentially on the line, Kiffin will bring out all the stops to try and get a huge W. That game will be Ole Miss’ Super Bowl and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ole Miss pulled off the upset.

A&M will beat them like a drum

Reactions: Carl Pickens
This is probably a horrible idea, but would any of you like UT to hire an existing SEC head coach? Lane Kiffin, Mark Stoops or Sam Pittman? Pittman still a rookie head coach.

I wish UT would swing for the fences and get no less a Hugh Freeze. But, would a very solid hire like the ones mentioned above do the trick?

Now honestly,,, do you really think there is a SEC head man (especially Kif, Stoops or this other guy ) or who ever, would even in their dreams (unless it was a nightmare) think of moving to UT. LOL

Kiffin is a fun guy, charismatic, a good sound bite, and very good offensive mind. But he always seems to get way more credit than he deserves. If you didn’t look, you’d think he’s having this amazing season. He’s going to end up with 5 losses, already has 4 with aTm still to play. So many here look back fondly at his lone season at UT; 6 losses. 15 losses in 3.3 seasons at USC. He was able to run up his career win % at Florida Atlantic with a couple 11-win seasons there, but still managed a 5-7 season there. Without the FAU record, he’s an entirely average 39-25. Hell, even with FAU he’s 66-38. Again, average. I didn’t even mention his Oakland record in the NFL where he was completely overmatched at 16-32. Add that into the mix and you’re staring right at a career record of 82-70. And this record is on a huge sample size, 5 different stops, 2 different leagues. We know what he is. Yet, he somehow has this aura of a winner. I don’t see it.

You're a pretty good poster on this site, but sorry, you're not allowed here this week. One week a year, no lizards on this site.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
How low are you guys willing to go? If Tennessee were to hire Freeze, I would never attend another football game at Tennessee. I saw my first game in 1945 and have always supported my University without much concern. I have been through the worst and the best and have been proud of how they have handled their problems with dignity. Hiring Freeze would mean that they have thrown all sense of dignity out the window. It would indicate that our University has winning above everything else and we all know how that works out in the long term. Hiring Freeze would be worse than hiring a certain defensive coordinator from Ohio State that this board essentially forced the University to void a Contract to hire him. Can one not see the similar character flaws in theses two coaches?

I, like you go a long way back and have for the most part liked the way problems have been handled. (even though I do not always see the dignity you do). HOWEVER,,,,, if by no other reason than time our way of thinking is lost in the new "times" we live in. Their may be enough of us types to reject him or a Freeze type. But the new followers of or program seem willing to forgive and to forget. It's a wonder that the uprising over the Ohio St., guy who ever he was took place and sent him else ware .

This is probably a horrible idea, but would any of you like UT to hire an existing SEC head coach? Lane Kiffin, Mark Stoops or Sam Pittman? Pittman still a rookie head coach.

I wish UT would swing for the fences and get no less a Hugh Freeze. But, would a very solid hire like the ones mentioned above do the trick?

All of this is hilarious, it's like you expect a new coach next year to happen just because you type it..........I can't help but laugh at all of these scenarios that go through your head.......amazing how desperate some people are to see the 1990s UT Teams to return.

The infatuation with Hugh Freeze is flat out comical.

I understand what you are saying, but there are a limited number of coaches who would come to Tennessee at this time.

Freeze is one of them as he is there for the picking, if we have an opening and don't go after him or Kiffin, who else is there?

We go after Kiffin, what is his buy out from Ole Miss?

I never thought I would say Kiffin, but I was there when Pruitt was hired and he would have been on the way to Knoxville as soon as he hung up the phone.

I like Pruitt and really wanted him to succeed, but in all honesty how many games has he won that he shouldn't have and then how many games has he lost that he shouldn't have?

I've go the answer for wins and that is Auburn in 2018, but I would have to go back and count the other's because it is lengthy compared to the first answer.

We should never use Vandy as the deciding game on making a decision on firing a coach and I don't see him beating either A&M or Florida.

The score on the next two games will most likely be based on what the other coaches want to do (or need to do, as they are still both on the playoff bubble) and how much they pity Pruitt.

Again, I hate saying it, but I think any additional time with Pruitt is just going to add to the time it takes to approach relevancy and that his ceiling appears to be as a very good defensive coordinator and I don't consider that to be an insult at all.

Reactions: UTwild82

Not really. Still too early to judge Kiffin or Pittman. Stoops is too conservative of a HC imo (looks to be stuck in old-school fb like Pruitt). The only 2 current HC's I'd want are Saban and Mullen and that's never going to happen, and I highly doubt any of the others would take the job here either.

Maybe so... And finish 6-4 instead of 5-5. WOW!

That’s sorta my point. Everyone acts like Kiffin is unbeatable and so difficult to play, but then you look up and he’s got a whole bunch of losses on the year, every year. He squeaked by a completely depleted Miss State team.

I think he’s a solid coach. But any other coach with his career record would be considered average at best.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

Of those? Only Lane Kiffin.

I would lose my mind with that elf Stoops walking the sideline.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Maybe so... And finish 6-4 instead of 5-5. WOW!

That’s sorta my point. Everyone acts like Kiffin is unbeatable and so difficult to play, but then you look up and he’s got a whole bunch of losses on the year, every year. He squeaked by a completely depleted Miss State team.

I think he’s a solid coach. But any other coach with his career record would be considered average at best.
Don’t misunderstand me and think that I’m saying Kiffin is a world beater. Like you said, and the stats show, he isn’t. He is a pain the ass though, and Ole Miss going .500 on the season was not expected, At least I don’t think that it was . I hate to say this, but if I’m A&M I’m much more concerned about Ole Miss than I am traveling to Neyland .

Why no Coach Sark?

Would he leave Bama?
Didn't really have a good vibe with him when he was at USC or Washington.
Sometimes coordinating is really easy when you have the best talent in football .
Alabama is successful because of 2 reasons .
1 Offensive line is always stellar.
2 Defensive line always stellar.

How low are you guys willing to go? If Tennessee were to hire Freeze, I would never attend another football game at Tennessee. I saw my first game in 1945 and have always supported my University without much concern. I have been through the worst and the best and have been proud of how they have handled their problems with dignity. Hiring Freeze would mean that they have thrown all sense of dignity out the window. It would indicate that our University has winning above everything else and we all know how that works out in the long term. Hiring Freeze would be worse than hiring a certain defensive coordinator from Ohio State that this board essentially forced the University to void a Contract to hire him. Can one not see the similar character flaws in theses two coaches?
We've got a large faction of the fanbase that want us to be a win at any cost type program who hires coaches that cheat to win. They comically believe that it's widespread and we should be doing it too. It's the biggest reason our fanbase is so divided, half don't care what we do to win while the other half like you and me prefer to try and win without hiring scum to run our programs. Kiffin, Pearl and Tyndall were all scum and all 3 of them set our program back years, especially Kiffin. No thanks to him or Freeze coming from me.

How can you not be infatuated with having to vacate wins because of cheating (officially12-25 @ Ole Miss), calling hookers with your work cell phone, and a post season ban? And then he said he likes Jesus. So I can’t understand how you’re not on pulling into infatuation station.
That’s the part that makes me laugh. It’s the same opinion I had of Bruce Pearl. Forget the morality, why would you want to associate with anybody that stupid lol?

VN Store

Back