2021 Fall Practice #2

Fingers

1 on 1s
-Jaylen McCollugh had a pair of PBU against Jacob Warren
-Jimmy Holiday cooked Alontae Taylor an hitch route
-Trevon Flowers intercepted Harrison Bailey on a slant. It was incredible coverage.
-There was one deep ball completed. That completeion was more so Velus Jones Jr. making a spectacular catch.

Maurer and Bailey got first team QB reps during the team portion
d.schiele WBIR

The quarterback order was flipped going numerically from largest number to smallest. That put Brian Maurer routinely up there first, followed by Bailey, Milton and Hooker. Clearly, there is no starter in mind at the moment. Milton continues to impress with his physical makeup and the added wrinkle to the offense. Hooker kept one on the read-option during inside run and took it to the house.

Both Hooker and Milton worked some speed-option during inside run.
JaVonta Payton looked good on-air and was smooth running routes during 1-on-1s. Jalin Hyatt roasted a couple of guys in 1-on-1

Theo Jackson had a rough day at nickel during 1-on-1s. Cade Mays pancaked linebacker Juwan Mitchell during inside run. Jeremy Banks is showing improved mechanics at the position, running over the top of blockers instead of underneath.
Princeton Fant was back and practice – as was Kamal Hadden. Both were dressed but worked off to the side with trainers. Still no Trinity Bell as he continues to rehab from an injury. Len’Neth Whitehead has been at practice, but I’ve not seen him take a rep of inside run or other team-related drills. He has gone through individual and is dressed out like everyone else.
e.cain

Trevon Flowers had a nice INT on a slant in one on one’s where he played the ball beautifully. Flowers seems to be playing faster. Byron Young will help this team a lot this fall. Young physically looks good and showed up on Thursday multiple times.
I said it on Wednesday, the receivers look better. They are bigger and I like what you see in terms of development with Jimmy Callaway and Jimmy Holliday. Not finished products but improving for sure.

Javonta Peyton will help that group. And if Cedric Tillman was a half step faster, everyone in college football would know him. Tillman uses his hands against DB’s at he line of scrimmage better than anyone.
With their legs Milton and Hooker again showed a different element to the quarterback game. I thought the qb’s overall threw the ball about the same as yesterday.
hubbs

All four quarterbacks were pretty accurate on the day during routes-on-air with Milton and Bailey the sharpest. Hooker was the most vocal of the group when he wasn't going as he was noticeably excitable and encouraged his teammates.

Bailey again had the best pass of the day, dropping a beautiful throw to the outside shoulder of Velus Jones Jr., who made a nice adjustment on the football to complete the play. He had another deep pass nearly caught by walk-on Nigel Lanier. However, he earlier missed Walker Merrill over the middle and later was then picked by Trevon Flowers after the safety undercut a crossing route.

Milton overthrew a pair of deep routes, missing Andison Coby and Ramel Keyton over the top.

Wide receiver Jalin Hyatt was troubled by some drops during the open portion of Wednesday's practice, but he was much sharper during the periods we saw on Thursday morning.

Safety Jaylen McCollough made a couple of nice plays on passes matched up with tight end Jacob Warren in one-on-one work.
Wide receiver Jimmy Holiday made a nice one-handed snag on a throw behind him by Maurer in routes-on-air.
The defensive front controlled the 11-on-11 work as the Vols had trouble with shotgun snaps on multiple occasions with either low or high snaps disrupting the timing.
The standout performer for the defense was outside linebacker Byron Young, who was constantly in the backfield with the second group. He popped up multiple times in just a handful of plays off the edge whether it was run or pass.
Cade Mays worked at both guard and tackle during the offensive line's individuals drills and was at right tackle during team run and 11-on-11.
At linebacker, Juwan Mitchell and Jeremy Banks continued to work with the second group with Kwauze Garland and Solon Page III teaming up with the first group.
p.brown
E8CE08BVgAwFKRG

Last edited:
Wow. Miltons elbow is really low when he throws.. he has a quick AF release tho

Crap......just like an abused husband I keep coming back and getting excited year after year in hopes that the tides will change......🍻 here's to hoping that this time we got a coach who's going to bring us back to glory. (Thanks Fingers!!!!)

I don't think our defense is going to be nearly as bad as everyone thinks it will. The secondary and Dline is going to be improved from last year.
I am not so worried about it being "Bad" as I am worried they will be tired in the 4th quarter from coming back on the field every 2-1/2 minutes. We are lacking quality depth at many positions. I hope these guys are in shape.

Dude is built like a speed rush end

BTW, Hooker has the same arm slot and no one is freaking out about him and he’s 2 inches shorter
Hookers looked lower then normal..More shoulder height to me....but no one freaking out...it was lower enough to be noticed..like a pitcher with a lower then normal arm slot. Or a drop in thier throwing motion

VN Store

Back