Battle At Bristol WebCam

Progress is going great, the cam is a great addition to the Volnation. I have bled Orange since the late 60's and this game will be epic, so glad it's happenin
I lived in Bristol when the track owner, Bruton Smith had two weeks of dirt track racing at BMS, they had thousands of dump trucks bring in red clay to add feet of dirt to the track for the World of Outlaws and late models. So no worries, it'll be done and ready on time
GO BIG ORANGE

For this ole timer, anyone remember how to spell TN
The real way?

Had to like this post. :good!:

If I'm the punter, I hit it just because I can.

How many times would that get replayed on ESPN?

From 2009 when the Titans visited Jerry World...

During the debut preseason game of Cowboys Stadium on August 21, 2009, a punt by Tennessee Titans punter A. J. Trapasso hit the 175 feet 0 inches (53.34 m)-wide screen above the field. The punt deflected backwards and was ruled in-play until Titans coach Jeff Fisher informed the officials that the punt struck the scoreboard. By rule, the down was replayed. Jerry Jones believes that Trapasso was trying to hit the scoreboard, saying, "If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side."[56] Whether the screen would affect an opposing team's punting strategy has been debated. For teams with strategies centered on maximizing hang-time, physicist Christopher Moore of Longwood University has shown via computer simulation that well-kicked punts have the potential to hit the screen no matter the field position.[57]

Punters could hit the screen 175' above the field in Jerry World. Not sure how far above the field the screen is at Bristol, but it's DOABLE.

If a bunch of fans on a message board are exploring the possibilities, I'm sure that coaches/officials have discussed the various scenarios.

If Spurrier were coaching a team in this game, there's no doubt in my mind that he would instruct his punter to hit the board. I don't think either the VT or UT staff is planning on making it a big deal

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Are the two buildings closest to the camera going to be the locker rooms?

Ha! That would be crazy for the players. I'm assuming they'll use them for media or as clubhouses/concessions/bathrooms for whatever sections are down there.

Punters could hit the screen 175' above the field in Jerry World. Not sure how far above the field the screen is at Bristol, but it's DOABLE.

If a bunch of fans on a message board are exploring the possibilities, I'm sure that coaches/officials have discussed the various scenarios.

If Spurrier were coaching a team in this game, there's no doubt in my mind that he would instruct his punter to hit the board. I don't think either the VT or UT staff is planning on making it a big deal

I think you misread that quote. 175' is the width, it is only 90` above the playing surface. The screen at BMS is 140' above the field. I suppose someone could hit it but it would have to be done on purpose. A normal kick would never come close.

Reactions: 4 people
I think you misread that quote. 175' is the width, it is only 90` above the playing surface. The screen at BMS is 140' above the field. I suppose someone could hit it but it would have to be done on purpose. A normal kick would never come close.

You're right. No one is hitting that screen.

Awesome!

Looks like they're having to backfill a patch of gravel just to the left of the near goalpost. Slope profile musta dipped just a tad there. They're filling it by hand, so it clearly didn't need too much. Think we'll probably see the rollers go over it again for compaction before any turf goes down.

BaB%20-%20Day%203%20Activity.png

So where are the cams actually located in terms of seats. Just curious as to if those small people are going to look that small (like ants) from the seats. :)

So where are the cams actually located in terms of seats. Just curious as to if those small people are going to look that small (like ants) from the seats. :)

The camera looks to be way way..above the top, furthest seat from the field. Its a panoramic view, so it naturally looks much further then it actually is. The seats wont be too bad anywhere.

Reactions: 1 person
The camera looks to be way way..above the top, furthest seat from the field. Its a panoramic view, so it naturally looks much further then it actually is. The seats wont be too bad anywhere.

Looking at the stadium, my seats are a good 100+ yards from the nearest edge of the field, and they are only halfway up. But, I'm not going for the quality of my seating.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back