Butch has faith - Do You?

Do you need for a sign to slap you in the face to unscramble your brain? Here's a couple: Top 5 or 10 recruiting class in 2014. Another one coming in 2015. Played 23 freshmen so far this year and they have another 3 years to develop into good to great players.

I do not want to turn this into a negative argument... but you know that I could give a counterpoint to each of those things in actual results.

I want to see quality wins against quality programs and coaches. I want to see this staff close games like UF and UGA out.

Maybe what I see as an objective worthy of "faith" is different from you. Do I have "faith" that Jones once he's loaded the team with talent can get back to winning 7-10 games per year? Sure. That's not what I want UT to have. I want to see championships. I want to see UT dominate the East.

I have not seen what I need to have faith that Jones can get the Vols to the top.

Reactions: 1 person
Are you in the light?

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the dark. I struggle every day like a lot of people, but I have my faith to get me through and I am a happier person for that. And I believe in the power of prayer. As I have related before, my first wife was of but modest bosom and when that marriage ended I prayed, if it be God's will, that that he find me a well endowed woman. And my prayers were answered and for that I am very happy in the Lord. I just hope people can see that having faith is a good thing to have in their lives.

Reactions: 2 people
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the dark. I struggle every day like a lot of people, but I have my faith to get me through and I am a happier person for that. And I believe in the power of prayer. As I have related before, my first wife was of but modest bosom and when that marriage ended I prayed, if it be God's will, that that he find me a well endowed woman. And my prayers were answered and for that I am very happy in the Lord. I just hope people can see that having faith is a good thing to have in their lives.

Oh da*n. If your opening post didn't stir the pot,
You definately upped the anty.

Let's keep religion off the board, yea? This is a football board, not a place to push religion.

Were you required to come into this thread and post? If it is against mod standards it will be moved or deleted.

Reactions: 3 people
I mean no offense and I am a believer too...however...what happens when bammers and vols pray for different outcomes....does the almighty play favorites?

You can pray for anything you like so long as you are willing to accept an answer that you may not like.

Does God bless as He sees fit? Yes. Does He play "favorites" in the sense you seem to mean? That's a very, very deep question. I would ask you to consider if you or an ISIL conscript chose where you would be born or what influences would impact your life and decisions. Better than listening to me though, take a look at Romans 9:10-24... or the whole chapter if you like. It isn't an easy text and truly makes unbelievers think they've found a way to declare God unjust. But for a believer and in the context of the whole of Scripture... it helps us understand things we often don't... or at least accept them.

I don't even know where to start, other than to say, delete/move thread. Take it to the religion forum, if there is such a thing.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch is a winner, and we need to stand with him because he will take us where we need to be. Just have faith.

CBJ went through hard times at Cincinnati but his faith kept him grounded until he was able to turn the Bearcats around.

His mantra of building this program "Brick by Brick" is rooted in the scripture Nehemiah 2:18:

And I told them of the hand of my God that had been upon me for good, and also of the words that the king had spoken to me. And they said, “Let us rise up and build.” So they strengthened their hands for the good work.

I'm glad my coach loves the Lord like I do, because his reward will be our reward, too.

ChapButch-300x273.jpg

You do realize that a caller from last year called the radio show and said he was sticking with the Vols until we build it brick by brick, right? That is the origin of the phrase being used for our football team.

bUTch is NOT the originator of that phrase. I think it is nice that it is biblical though.

I'm still pissed about the band thing he did. I want a National Championship within 5 years if I have to listen to rap music blaring all the time at Neyland.

I'm still pissed about the band thing he did. I want a National Championship within 5 years if I have to listen to rap music blaring all the time at Neyland.

And quit playin the damn third down for what song if the opponents make every third down.

And quit playin the damn third down for what song if the opponents make every third down.

If you get tired of it, and boy I did against Bama, then just scream louder. If the D gets off the field, you get a respite from having to hear it for a while.

AV

If you get tired of it, and boy I did against Bama, then just scream louder. If the D gets off the field, you get a respite from having to hear it for a while.

AV

lol. It's been pretty cool up until that point, but that was painful.

You might want to consider God's purpose for you and let Coach Jones worry about himself.
So... I should not worry about Jones even in a very benign statement but you should worry about me?

That's interesting... tell me more Mr Pot.

I'm fairly certain your defeated attitude is not scriptural in nature.

I am fairly certain that based on this post you have no conception of my "attitude" or heart. Expecting great things and not excusing failure to achieve them is "defeated" or not scriptural? What could possibly be a greater indicator of a "defeated attitude" than making excuses for failures and shortcomings? Proverbs 28:23 and 29:5 suggests it is those who do NOT point out weaknesses that we should be looking out for.

Philippians 4 commands us to seek excellence. Paul exhorts Christians to run to achieve a crown. I don't think you can use the Bible to justify excusing failure or condemning those who respectfully criticize failure.

Not giving blind faith to a coach is "not scriptural? Jeremiah 17:5 among many, many others.

If I am ever dishonest or disrespectful to Jones... then let me know.

Butch is a winner, and we need to stand with him because he will take us where we need to be. Just have faith.

CBJ went through hard times at Cincinnati but his faith kept him grounded until he was able to turn the Bearcats around.

His mantra of building this program "Brick by Brick" is rooted in the scripture Nehemiah 2:18:

And I told them of the hand of my God that had been upon me for good, and also of the words that the king had spoken to me. And they said, “Let us rise up and build.” So they strengthened their hands for the good work.

I'm glad my coach loves the Lord like I do, because his reward will be our reward, too.

ChapButch-300x273.jpg

The "Faith" case would be somewhat believable if CBJ didn't continuously say the "F" word on the sidelines during each game. I like the scripture, but let's not pretend Butch Jones is Hugh Freeze or Mark Richt.

@UT Hill Man

Thanks for the positive thread, but am the only one who finds your avi ironic in comparison to the overall content of your post?

By the way, I do like your avi.

I have participated in prayers for players safety, the Lord's Prayer, or that we all glorify God with our actions, but do not recall ever hearing a prayer for victory. Don't let that stop you from mocking someone's beliefs though.

Ironic every team prays before the game to win. I guess god flips a coin to decide who wins this time? We havent been too lucky with those coin tosses!
Many years ive been on a team, or involved somehow, ive never heard a team pray for victory...usually it goes like "protect us from injury, help us to show good sportsmanship...."

@UT Hill Man

Thanks for the positive thread, but am the only one who finds your avi ironic in comparison to the overall content of your post?

By the way, I do like your avi.

If lovin those is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Good lawd have mercy! If God made anything more beautiful, he'd a kept it to himself!

ChapButch-300x273.jpg

I have faith in his vision and can see what he's talking about, but really, starting next year(or this year if they can swing it), there needs to be visible, tangible proof of improvement. Brick by brick is a metaphor. Another brick in the wall. Winning games most did'nt think you could is reality. This year may not be possible with only one great class under his belt. But when that 2015 comes in meshed with the talent in that 2014 who will be a year older and wiser, Bowls will be an expectation. If the classes keep up like these have then SEC's, playoff's, NC will become the expectation just like they were in the past.

So... I should not worry about Jones even in a very benign statement but you should worry about me?

That's interesting... tell me more Mr Pot.

I am fairly certain that based on this post you have no conception of my "attitude" or heart. Expecting great things and not excusing failure to achieve them is "defeated" or not scriptural? What could possibly be a greater indicator of a "defeated attitude" than making excuses for failures and shortcomings? Proverbs 28:23 and 29:5 suggests it is those who do NOT point out weaknesses that we should be looking out for.

Philippians 4 commands us to seek excellence. Paul exhorts Christians to run to achieve a crown. I don't think you can use the Bible to justify excusing failure or condemning those who respectfully criticize failure.

Not giving blind faith to a coach is "not scriptural? Jeremiah 17:5 among many, many others.

If I am ever dishonest or disrespectful to Jones... then let me know.

Then you will understand when I continue to point out your failings as you go to great lengths to discredit Jones.

This thread should be interesting.

Is Jones a christian? I've never heard it explicitly stated by him but I may have just missed it.

I dont think it has to be stated explicitly by anyone like a truck that runs over you before you even know what that person is about. That's what makes the Tim Tebow's so ridiculous. If I ever met Tim Tebow I'd tell him I love the fact you're a Christian, but if you'd have devoted as much time and effort into being a QB as you did being a Christian icon you'd still be playing. Instead you get to sit next to one of the ugliest men on TV next to John Clayton.

VN Store

Back