Butch Jones: ‘We’re on the verge of assembling a top-notch recruiting class’

Sounds good but can he do anything with the recruits when they get here?

And that's the real question. He talked about lacking competitive depth yesterday. Well, don't run off a full recruiting class+ of players, about half of which were rated 4 star or higher players, and you'd have a much better chance to absorb key injuries and play at a high level with your second and even third teamers, like championship teams do.

Unfortunately, it appears to go even deeper than that....he and his staff also need to do a much better job at player development and teaching fundamentals and team discipline. Until this season I sure thought they had the last two of those down down pat....but after the last 12 games we just witnessed, its back to the drawing board there as well.

Wylo, I know you could care less what the sunshine pumping Lyle Jones worshippers say, but I just wanted you to know that you are far from the most despicable poster here.

I'm far from a sunshine pumper, just don't feel the need to pile on like some of you. Butch is treading on thin ice and 2017 he needs to show he can win the east. No excuses.

Anyway the family that hates together stays together. I assume Vol30 is there as well? How about Bucksnort? faderoute? Awesome

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like the young man, Trey Smith is, is a UT fan. However, if given the opportunity to be coached by Saban, Myer or Jones, I just don't see Jones and staff winning this recruiting battle.

Trey Smith is qouted as saying he grew up an Alabama fan isnt he?

And that's the real question. He talked about lacking competitive depth yesterday. Well, don't run off a full recruiting class+ of players, about half of which were rated 4 star or higher players, and you'd have a much better chance to absorb key injuries and play at a high level with your second and even third teamers, like championship teams do.

Unfortunately, it appears to go even deeper than that....he and his staff also need to do a much better job at player development and teaching fundamentals and team discipline. Until this season I sure thought they had the last two of those down down pat....but after the last 12 games we just witnessed, its back to the drawing board there as well.

Good post, I agree, some of the attrition of highly rated players is questionable by Jones, but to compete for championships at UT Jones must attract better athletes on the defensive side or it gets ugly ugly ugly

Some of you guys need to shake the sand outta your panties. This isn't real life problems.

Also, that joke wrote itself. Butch uses all of his coach speak, so you're crazy if you think it's not getting used against him.

His words beg to be used against him. If you're this sensitive about a not so great in reality recruiting class, you're gonna have a long off-season and season with me.

Good luck.

You must be the cool kid in High School huh? Did you come up with that all by yourself? :clapping::crazy:

Reactions: 3 people
Every single thread you feel the need to crap on? Like I said before you are the most despicable poster on this board and that says a lot.

But don't worry folks, John will always be here to police him and make sure no one ventures off "truefully fan - support 'coach' no matter what" narrative

Thanks man I feel safer now

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...vell_AJC&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Vols coaches were on the road all last week meeting with current commits and top targets, and Jones expressed optimism about the program’s upcoming recruiting class.
Tennessee hosted 5-star offensive tackle Trey Smith on an official visit over the weekend, and Jones will have in-home visits with two priority defensive targets Monday evening.
“All my focus is on recruiting and I think we’re on the verge of assembling a top-notch recruiting class to really address a lot of our needs moving forward,” Jones said Monday.
The loss at Vandy spoiled a chance for Tennessee to go to the Sugar Bowl for the first time since 1990. While Jones acknowledged disappointment with the way the season ended, he strongly believes the program is continuing on an upward trajectory.
“Obviously we didn’t finish the way that we wanted to finish,” he explained.
“But (prospects) are excited about the future of Tennessee football and they want to be a part of it. That’s been great.

A top 10 recruiting class and a victory over Nebraska is needed badly. Butch better recruit and coach like his job is on the line because come 2017 it is.

3 Stars or bust.

Good post, I agree, some of the attrition of highly rated players is questionable by Jones, but to compete for championships at UT Jones must attract better athletes on the defensive side or it gets ugly ugly ugly

It is not about being athletic. It is about teaching fundamentals. Whenever another team's qb sent a long pass downtown and we were in man coverage did you one time see a play on the ball? Any attempt to locate the ball at all? How many habitual jersey grabs resulting in penalties time and again? For the money we have invested our ROI is like the freaking Yankees.

Every single thread you feel the need to crap on? Like I said before you are the most despicable poster on this board and that says a lot.

He is annoying. Like an annoying little brother. But I don't consider him the worst by any means. There are some who make poor old Wylo look like SID for UT.

Reactions: 2 people
I know. What's your secret?

I think my problem is that I use too many visual aids.

Likes are similar to money in a tip jar. Gotta "seed" it a bit to inspire others. My secret is multiple accounts where i like my own stuff which gets the lulz ball rollin.

How could you expect better stats from Barnett? He's more than likely going to break the sack record in the bowl. I don't see how you can get better than being one of the best players in the nation in the first place.

It also seemed to me that Vereen took full advantage of the focus being on the opposite side of the line from him this season. One of Vereens sacks came as a direct result of Barnett being triple teamed in the Kentucky game.
It's two fold. One, Barnett is not what he is because of this staff. I'm not confident this staff can recruit enough players who can walk on campus ready. Two, sacks are half the picture. Did Barnett improve as a run stopper?

Can this staff take marginal talent and coach it up to productivity? As it stands we are seeing players stalled out and even regressing. Did Kirkland and Sutton coming back help this defense? Did recruiting juco DBs reap benefits?

It is not about being athletic. It is about teaching fundamentals. Whenever another team's qb sent a long pass downtown and we were in man coverage did you one time see a play on the ball? Any attempt to locate the ball at all? How many habitual jersey grabs resulting in penalties time and again? For the money we have invested our ROI is like the freaking Yankees.

Exactly. AJ Johnson was not the most athletic but had a great nose for the ball. I don't care what his 40 time was, he sensed the flow of the play. Being in the right place is better than needing speed to cover up being out of place. This team, late in the year, couldn't get lined up.

Best class in America?

th

It's two fold. One, Barnett is not what he is because of this staff. I'm not confident this staff can recruit enough players who can walk on campus ready. Two, sacks are half the picture. Did Barnett improve as a run stopper?

Can this staff take marginal talent and coach it up to productivity? As it stands we are seeing players stalled out and even regressing. Did Kirkland and Sutton coming back help this defense? Did recruiting juco DBs reap benefits?

I get your point about development.

I think Cam and Kirkland were rushed back into service and weren't playing at 100% at the end of the season.

I wouldn't want Barnett to change anything about how he plays. I would try to run sets that fill the void behind him when he bull rushes, which is where the loss of JRM really hurt the defense. Having JRM all season would have made the D look a lot different.

Last edited:
I get your point about development.

I think Cam and Kirkland were rushed back into service and weren't playing at %100 at the end of the season.

I wouldn't want Barnett to change anything about how he plays. I would try to run sets that fill the void behind him when he bull rushes, which is where the loss of JRM really hurt the defense. Having JRM all season would have made the D look a lot different.

I agree with 100% about JRM. From what I read about Shoop's scheme, JRM is his ideal LB. He can blitz, stop run, and cover (limited).

VN Store

Back