Butch Jones... How much longer

I'll give you that tn isn't as attractive as it once was. However I think some of it has to do with timing. Some years there are more up and Comer type coaches available than others. As far as being luckily to have landed Butch... There jury is very much still out on that. He has a terrible record thus far at tn. And though we obviously don't have the talent to be competing for a championship at this point he's lost a lot of winable games. And it totally sucks to lose a game by making conservative decisions all night. If we're going to lose I'd at least like to know we pulled out all the stops and left it all out on the field. We'll see what happens. I truly hope I'm wrong because I want us to win now but...I just don't think he's going to win in this league

Pulling out all the stops can backfire and turn a close winnable game into a blowout loss, Quit lying to yourself, if that happened you would be screaming even louder for Butches head. There is a time for that (pullin out all the stops), it ain't that time yet. It's coming.

Reactions: 2 people
The jury is not still out. There might be a few protesters with signs and crap that didn't like the verdict but their in the lunatic fringe. I thought Butch would be a decent coach, but he brings a lot more than I expected. As far as being conservative we have done a reverse from the two and just last week we did a successful fake punt. We also have went for it on short yardage on fourth down often. Granted we have failed a lot as well.

The jury is very much still out on him. He's lost close, winnable games more often than he's won them. His staff is not very good at making adjustments. He can recruit and the initial gameplans are solid, but they are not good on gameday.

The jury is very much still out on him. He's lost close, winnable games more often than he's won them. His staff is not very good at making adjustments. He can recruit and the initial gameplans are solid, but they are not good on gameday.

They r handcuffed by the o line... Drastically limits game time adjustments

I'm saying I hope I'm wrong.

Makes no difference, you are still starting a thread that shows a lack of support and patience. I to believe he will be here a minimum of five years and I'm sorry that some of our fans cannot wrap their brain around that thought.

Realistically he was dealt a piece of crap for team with little depth and with an over all a below average SEC caliber player team.

The above statement probably warrants at least five years. He will also get extensions and by waiting five years he will probably setthe next coach up for success.

So we are kind of stuck according to Some and I guess we will have to wait to see. It's absurd that people don't see this. 5 to 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Then they should probably get rid of the O-line coach for doing such a bad job teaching the group he has that they can't adjust 11 games into the season.

Open your eyes they looked much better against USC and UK but struggle against good d lines like uf and Mizzou. Its a simple lack of maturity and skill at this point

Reactions: 1 person
Makes no difference, you are still starting a thread that shows a lack of support and patience. I to believehe will be here a minimum of five years and I'm sorry that some of our fans cannot wrap their brain around that thought.

Realistically he was dealt a piece of crap for team with little depth and with an over all below average SEC caliber players.

The above statement probably warrants at least five years. He will also get extensions and by waiting five years he will probably setthe next coach up for success.

So we are kind of stock according to Some and I guess we will have to wait to see. It's absurd that people don't see this. 5 to 6 years.

I still got $500 bet op that Jones is a vol for at least ten years. U want that action

Jones is the right guy... Not so sure about baj, Mahoney and azzani though..

Well azzani is doing a great job recruiting all the WR's also he is great with them the WR's aren't the teams problem also you may be right about Mahoney, but bajakian is a good offensive coordinator he just can't call most the plays downfield he would like bc our o line can't hold up

I won't argue he has good players. But that's because he developed them. He hasn't outrecruited anyone in the East except UK and potentially Vandy yet he's on top for the 2nd consecutive year. Butch will have to make his Jimmy's and Joe's in addition to recruiting them. Time helps with that there's no doubt, which is why I think he needs 4 yrs to field a team of Jr's and Sr's. I also think if we're fighting for bowl eligibility in game 11 or 12 next year, then he'll start 2016 off with a warm seat. If he doesn't win 9+ in 2016 it'll be hard to convince me he deserves a 5th year.

Well, Pinkel has been at Mizzou since 2000-2001 and had some up and down years before these big years came along. 6 to be exact. And then we have UT, number 4 combo fans, who wont even give a coach 2-3 years let alone 6. It takes TIME to build depth. It takes TIME to set up a situation where every year you have SR/JR on the field and have the RS in the incubator.

Well, Pinkel has been at Mizzou since 2000-2001 and had some up and down years before these big years came along. 6 to be exact. And then we have UT, number 4 combo fans, who wont even give a coach 2-3 years let alone 6. It takes TIME to build depth. It takes TIME to set up a situation where every year you have SR/JR on the field and have the RS in the incubator.

Liked this...good points! :thumbsup:

Gruden may be interested down the road---he has UT connections somehow I read

LOL! Some of you are really giving UT, Tennessee, yourselves a bad name. You cant REALLY be this stupid can you? I'll just go ahead and speak for John Gruden, maybe it'll help you see it. "I dont want your EF'ing job you silly tard paint sniffers" "I'm happy where I am". "If I wanted your EF'ing job, I'd have EF'ing let you know it". "Are we crystal EF'ing clear on this subject now?"

I still got $500 bet op that Jones is a vol for at least ten years. U want that action

Take that up with Chatt Vol.

I have $500 dollars but I don't make stupid bets. I also don't immaturity challenge fans to bets on a msg board and especially when I agree.

10 years is all good 20 years even better so put your panties back on instead of wadding them up..

What Reading Level are you at right now.

Last edited:
LOL! Some of you are really giving UT, Tennessee, yourselves a bad name. You cant REALLY be this stupid can you? I'll just go ahead and speak for John Gruden, maybe it'll help you see it. "I dont want your EF'ing job you silly tard paint sniffers" "I'm happy where I am". "If I wanted your EF'ing job, I'd have EF'ing let you know it". "Are we crystal EF'ing clear on this subject now?"

I'm thinking your sarcasm meter is broke

Pulling out all the stops can backfire and turn a close winnable game into a blowout loss, Quit lying to yourself, if that happened you would be screaming even louder for Butches head. There is a time for that (pullin out all the stops), it ain't that time yet. It's coming.

I understand that a coach has to pick his spots to be aggressive and at other times live to play another down. I just don't think Butch has picked nearly enough spots. A few examples...letting the clock run out in the first half against Mizzou. We had all the momentum at that point and could have had nearly 3 minutes had we used tos. Also there have been lots of 45+ yard fg's on fourth and short. Also not starting Dobbs was a conservative decided Imo. And along those lines... There are several others that have hurt us this year that have really only played due to their being experienced. Kinda like choosing worley over Dobbs these are very safe decisions. The one that is the most obvious example is Justin Coleman. He lacks sec speed and has been exposed constantly. We have other younger players that are much more capable of playing in this league. But Butch has chosen to go with experience. This one decision has costs us a long tn in Damn near every game this season.

I understand that a coach has to pick his spots to be aggressive and at other times live to play another down. I just don't think Butch has picked nearly enough spots. A few examples...letting the clock run out in the first half against Mizzou. We had all the momentum at that point and could have had nearly 3 minutes had we used tos. Also there have been lots of 45+ yard fg's on fourth and short. Also not starting Dobbs was a conservative decided Imo. And along those lines... There are several others that have hurt us this year that have really only played due to their being experienced. Kinda like choosing worley over Dobbs these are very safe decisions. The one that is the most obvious example is Justin Coleman. He lacks sec speed and has been exposed constantly. We have other younger players that are much more capable of playing in this league. But Butch has chosen to go with experience. This one decision has costs us a long tn in Damn near every game this season.

Wow, playing someone with experience over someone with NONE! Mind boggling! We may not have won the SC game without JC!

Your last sentence is complete BS!

Butch is going to leave for Michigan after this year.

You want to tell me why Butch would leave UT for Michigan or anyone for that matter?UT is a better job than Michigan, I dont care how many wins they have, Rose Bowls or the fact their fight song might be the best ever. They suck.

It shouldnt take 5 or 6 years at a school like Tennessee.We are not Missouri,South Carolina, Arkansas,Ole Miss,Miss State, Texas AM and all these other teams that are good now but dont have our tradition. We rank top 10 in wins all time and second in wins behind Alabama in the SEC. I think alot people forget this or dont know it! Stop accepting mediocrity folks!

Wow, playing someone with experience over someone with NONE! Mind boggling! We may not have won the SC game without JC!

Your last sentence is complete BS!

Is this a joke? Not sure if it's sarcasm or not. pharoe Cooper absolute abused him all day! Yes... Its dumb to have a untalented guy in there just because he's experienced. We should have a more talented youngster in there. If you think hes not a liability for us you know nothing about football. He is a part of every teams scouting report. When they see him in one in one coverage they try to exploit it every time. Man, if you're serious here I don't know what to say. Not worth discussing...

Last edited:
It shouldnt take 5 or 6 years at a school like Tennessee.We are not Missouri,South Carolina, Arkansas,Ole Miss,Miss State, Texas AM and all these other teams that are good now but dont have our tradition. We rank top 10 in wins all time and second in wins behind Alabama in the SEC. I think alot people forget this or dont know it! Stop accepting mediocrity folks!

I love Tennessee and always will! But tradition doesn't mean a damn thing when you are talking about rebuilding a program that had been destroyed the way it was. It does not speed up recovery! It doesn't make the job feel more attractive to other head coaches when we are in the situation we are in. Tradition won't help you much at a time like this!

Is this a joke? Not sure if it's sarcasm or not. pharoe Cooper absolute abused him all day! Yes... Its dumb to have a untalented guy in there just because he's experienced. We should have a more talented youngster in there. If you think hes not a liability for us you know nothing about football. He is a part of every teams scouting report. When they see him in one in one coverage they try to exploit it every time. Man, if you're serious here I don't what to say. Not worth discussing...

You would argue with a giraffe! Pharoe Cooper played a very good game. I would hate to think about what he would have done to a "more talented youngster in there".....talent doesn't always win over experience, you should know this! He had an interception didn't he? He helped his team win! I don't remember, but did the kid who started the first half for randolph have an interception, you know the more "talented guy"? When the kid is ready, he will play! I can't wait until that happens. But i am enough of a realist to know he wasn't ready that game!
Is that you in your avi?

You would argue with a giraffe! Pharoe Cooper played a very good game. I would hate to think about what he would have done to a "more talented youngster in there".....talent doesn't always win over experience, you should know this! He had an interception didn't he? He helped his team win! I don't remember, but did the kid who started the first half for randolph have an interception, you know the more "talented guy"? When the kid is ready, he will play! I can't wait until that happens. But i am enough of a realist to know he wasn't ready that game!
Is that you in your avi?

Argue with a giraffe. Lol. Whatever. We root for the same team. Go vols

VN Store

Back